SAK and NRM V3 illegitimate copy message

Britjet

Hi

I have just tried to install the latest Ver3 installers of Southern Alaska and Northern Rocky Mountains and am getting "This appears to be an illegitimate copy" message which halts the installation on both..

They aren't illegitimate - could anyone explain what is happening please?

Thanks,

Britjet1

Order numbers SAK - FSS0344374 date 2015-01-01  and NRM - FSS034254 date 2014-12-20

Do you use FSS wrapped installer or unwrapped one? From my experience if I keep unwrapped installer and try to install it after I reinstall my OS, there are missing registry entries which are did by FSS wrapper and needed by unwrapped installer, so if it is your case you have to download new installers from FSS

The installers I am using are new from Flightsimstore - I downloaded both packages today. I guess they are "unwrapped?" I'm not sure about the difference..

I have successfully installed all the other FTX V3 scenery in this way - and this is the first time it has happened..

Thanks for the suggestion anyway..

Dear Sir,

Just downloaded the new installers for SA an NR, during the install I get the following message, see attachment.

The online activation went well once you get to the actual installer you get the attached message.

Plz advice.

Matheus (Martin) Quaedflieg566ee373a5dac_SouthernAlaskaerror.jpg.ec

• Nick Cooper changed the title to SAK and NRM V3 illegitimate copy message

My installation of South Alaska was running fine, like all other V3 installers so far. But having learned about the copy protection mechanism recently and knowing software (e.g. from Microsoft, Adobe, Novel and many more) for a lifetime I fear installing an OrbX package will now always be accompanied with a certain kind of excitement.

All programmers are the best and know perfectly well what they are doing until they do their "big mistake". But it has a nice touch that OrbX seems to seriously believe their coders are above error! :)

I will report back to confirm the Northern Rockies installation also performs well.

Downloaded both of these installers around 2 hours ago and they install fine for me, as have all the others released over the previous 2 months which I installed over the weekend. I've downloaded everything using the first global CDN link on the FSS pages (the UK one doesn't always work at top speed for me) and used a download manager throughout.

One thing I have noticed with these last two installers (and a couple of the others I'd done previously) is that they prompt for an install location for the unwrapping process which by default is to a temp folder under my user app data area. This step is usually invisible during the install.

I also temporarily disable the real-time file protection in my AV for large installs to make sure there is no outside interference during the install.

Not much help but it suggests that there is some interaction occurring in particular cases only.

23 minutes ago, robmw said:

...they prompt for an install location for the unwrapping process which by default is to a temp folder under my user app data area. This step is usually invisible during the install.

If it gives you the option to move your temporary location off C, don't squawk about it, JIC it wasn't intentional.  :D 

I leave the GetRight manage all my downloads.

When it starts the download, I open 8-10 download instances of the same file and put all servers slaved in mirror function.

Top: the download is done at full speed and without fail!

There are now twelve years doing so.

Think about that!

Cheers,

Voyager

iPhone Tapatalk

Both SAK and NRM--both from the Global CDN 1 download server--installed fine for me.  I had already completed the validation process using the previous installers, so I didn't have to re-enter my order number/purchase date/serial with the new installers--I don't know if that was a factor.

Update: I already had Central Rockies previously installed.

We have identified the issue with these two installers and are working on replacing the installers. Will advise you as things progress.

Just a FYI, if you have Central Rockies unwrapped and installed, you will not see this message and can install without any issues.

1 minute ago, be77solo said:

So we have to redownload the entire 3+GB's???  I literally just downloaded SAK 2 hours ago from FSS, and got this same "illegitimate copy" error....  very frustrathing and killing my bandwidth for no reason!

Sorry for that, but mistakes happen.

44 minutes ago, Ed Correia said:

Sorry for that, but mistakes happen.

Yeah, I understand.  Was hoping it was possible to just download an updated installer as I'm traveling and have slow internet here.

Additionally frustrating it's DRM related and nothing to do with the actual scenery package.

Will track down the new installer when available and confirmed working.

22 minutes ago, DaHunn said:

back to my first question.

Would it help to copy the installer from the new download? and use it with the older files

Not quite following you here...the download file is one zip file with everything contained. The exectuable requires the data files that are included with it in that zip file so you will not need or use the data files from your original download.

Archived