Tried the Demos, hooked, purchased now help me start from scratch please

walterg74

Hey guys,

So I tried the Iceland Demo, and the PNW demos, loved them, and bought a whole bunch of stuff over the sale. 

Additional background:  Had a 250GB SSD for the OS, and 3TB 7200 HDD for my games, where FSX and the rest are installed. Thought 250GB was overkill for the OS, and I wanted an SSD for my Flight Sims, so I purchased a smaller 120GB one, and cloned my OS partition to it, and I now have a 120GB SSD for the OS (and main usual programs), my 3TB drive that still has the flight sims installed and an empty 250GB SSD.

So the plan now is to remove what I have, and start from scratch installing the sims on the SSD.  Here's what I would like you expert advice / help on:

- What is the best / cleanest way for me to remove the demos, so there's no trace left that could cause any type of conflict for future installs? (Once I do the above, I would uninstall the flight sims, and re-install. I know I could probably just straight uninstall, but I'm afraid there will be anything pointing to old locations, etc.)

- I also have Pilot's Ultimate series of mesh. As the whole set is HUGE, what happens if I install this on the HDD? Would it slow down anything or is the impact of the mesh loading minimal?

- Even though the SSD is relatively large, so are all the nice add-ons. What would you recommend should go on the SSD, and what could be fine on the HDD? Complementing the ORBX products in my sig I have: REX4TD+SC, ASN, Several Aircraft from PMDG, A2A, Justflight and Milviz, and a couple (about 3 for now) of airports from LatinVFR  (and then -but completely unrelated- lots of VFR scenery from MegaSceneryEarth).

Your help and pointers is much appreciated!

Congratulations!! you certainly jumped in the deep end.. I will not try to advise you on your system's ability to handle your purchases, but I congratulate you on your good taste.. Mate, you have days, weeks months, in fact years of great flying in front of you.. Enjoy! Teecee.

Congratulations!! you certainly jumped in the deep end.. I will not try to advise you on your system's ability to handle your purchases, but I congratulate you on your good taste.. Mate, you have days, weeks months, in fact years of great flying in front of you.. Enjoy! Teecee.

Lol, thanks!  For the record these are my system specs:

i7 4790K *currently at 4.4Ghz)

Asus Maximus Hero VII

16GB G.skill Trident-X 2400 RAM

2x Sapphire Radeon 290 Tri-X 4GB

Corsair H100i Cooler

EVGA 850W Supernova G2 PSU

120 Samsung Evo 850 SSD (OS)

250GB Samsung 840 Evo Flight Sims (Currently Empty) 

3TB 7200 HDD (Games)

Regular ASUS DVD Drive

All encased in an NZXT Phantom 410 (not that it's relevant to performance anyway)

Your 250GB SSD is going to be way too small for your FS. :)

Yeah, I know, I know... Where I'm from all electronics and stuff is way overpriced, so I usually buy my stuff in the Us when I go there occasionaly for work. I just came back last month, and I was going to get at least a 500GB one, but there weren't really any good deals to push me to get one, so I just boght the little ones (got two, one for a second machine I'll be upgrading a bit later on) and settled for using my current 250GB one. Maybe a 500GB or a 1TB one next trip...

In all fairness, while I plan on also using X-Plane and P3D, if you just use the 1 sim, FSX, that 250GB is plenty... The full FSX install with all the ORBX products and Regions doesn't reach 100... Granted I can't toss in all the mesh, but there still way more than enough for rex,asn, a couple dozen aircraft and a dozen or so quality airports. You can't fit all of it there, but you can have a good solid install with plenty of items to keep you entertained for years...

Yeah, I know, I know... Where I'm from all electronics and stuff is way overpriced, so I usually buy my stuff in the Us when I go there occasionaly for work. I just came back last month, and I was going to get at least a 500GB one, but there weren't really any good deals to push me to get one, so I just boght the little ones (got two, one for a second machine I'll be upgrading a bit later on) and settled for using my current 250GB one. Maybe a 500GB or a 1TB one next trip...

In all fairness, while I plan on also using X-Plane and P3D, if you just use the 1 sim, FSX, that 250GB is plenty... The full FSX install with all the ORBX products and Regions doesn't reach 100... Granted I can't toss in all the mesh, but there still way more than enough for rex,asn, a couple dozen aircraft and a dozen or so quality airports. You can't fit all of it there, but you can have a good solid install with plenty of items to keep you entertained for years...

Ya...so true...and you can always clone onto a larger drive in the future...also...you do know that FSX does not make use of ATI crossfire, in some cases it actually decreases performance. :)

Yeah, sadly I know that too. By the time I had read enough on the different forums to know about Nvidia being preferble for flight sims it ws too late and I had already purchased the second 290...

In any case, when I get around to upgrading that second PC, it will be a 970 that I will put in it.

Hey guys,

So I tried the Iceland Demo, and the PNW demos, loved them, and bought a whole bunch of stuff over the sale. 

Additional background:  Had a 250GB SSD for the OS, and 3TB 7200 HDD for my games, where FSX and the rest are installed. Thought 250GB was overkill for the OS, and I wanted an SSD for my Flight Sims, so I purchased a smaller 120GB one, and cloned my OS partition to it, and I now have a 120GB SSD for the OS (and main usual programs), my 3TB drive that still has the flight sims installed and an empty 250GB SSD.

So the plan now is to remove what I have, and start from scratch installing the sims on the SSD.  Here's what I would like you expert advice / help on:

- What is the best / cleanest way for me to remove the demos, so there's no trace left that could cause any type of conflict for future installs? (Once I do the above, I would uninstall the flight sims, and re-install. I know I could probably just straight uninstall, but I'm afraid there will be anything pointing to old locations, etc.)

- I also have Pilot's Ultimate series of mesh. As the whole set is HUGE, what happens if I install this on the HDD? Would it slow down anything or is the impact of the mesh loading minimal?

- Even though the SSD is relatively large, so are all the nice add-ons. What would you recommend should go on the SSD, and what could be fine on the HDD? Complementing the ORBX products in my sig I have: REX4TD+SC, ASN, Several Aircraft from PMDG, A2A, Justflight and Milviz, and a couple (about 3 for now) of airports from LatinVFR  (and then -but completely unrelated- lots of VFR scenery from MegaSceneryEarth).

Your help and pointers is much appreciated!

If you delete the demo folder then completely uninstall FSX, I don't see any subsequent problems.

The Ultimate mesh takes an abysmal time to load from a 7200 HD except if you uncheck the continents where you don't fly much. Even so, it may be a tad longish.

The Orbx sceneries have to be on the same storage than the sim if you do not want to bother with tweaking "symbolic" links between storages.

If you delete the demo folder then completely uninstall FSX, I don't see any subsequent problems.

The Ultimate mesh takes an abysmal time to load from a 7200 HD except if you uncheck the continents where you don't fly much. Even so, it may be a tad longish.

The Orbx sceneries have to be on the same storage than the sim if you do not want to bother with tweaking "symbolic" links between storages.

Thanks, yeah I knew the ORBX stuff has to be in the same folder, so I guess I meant the rest of the products.

So just removing that? No registry entries, data folders or things like that... ?

Now the mesh, because I'm not going to "waste" half of my SSD on just that... it it slow to load but just at the beginning?  See my concern on putting the best choices on the SSD is in concern to stutters and texture loading, as I really dislike when textures look blurry and take a while to sharpen up, which improves as I understand by loading from the SSD.

Why the demo would be more complicated to uninstall than any other scenery ? Just untick it before in the scenery library before deleting the related folder.

About the mesh on SSD, it depends on your own tolerance to waiting during the loading... 

BTW, a SSD efficiency is supposed to degrade when it's over 80% full. 

You could just keep everything as is and create a symbolic link to your 250G SSD where you would install mesh and ORBX scenery. That way it would load fast and you wont have to start from scratch again.

This is what I did for ORBX. Search for the word "Dirlinker" here in the forum. Works fine, though it might have had some influence on the initial loading time (but I believe that gets slower anyway, the more add-ons you use).

Why the demo would be more complicated to uninstall than any other scenery ? Just untick it before in the scenery library before deleting the related folder.

About the mesh on SSD, it depends on your own tolerance to waiting during the loading... 

BTW, a SSD efficiency is supposed to degrade when it's over 80% full.

Because like some stuff I think remembering they don't have uninstallers... So If Iminstall the whole scenery pack I don't care about removing that, but I would like to make sure these demo products don't cause any issues.

Regarding loading times I din't mind if it's the initial load, what Imdo care about is texture/scenery loading during flight, causing stutters and blurries,

You could just keep everything as is and create a symbolic link to your 250G SSD where you would install mesh and ORBX scenery. That way it would load fast and you wont have to start from scratch again.

Hmm don't think so. Mesh can be installed anywhere anyway, and the ORBX items (at least global) has to be in the same folder as FSx, so being it's alrewdy there, i would still have to mode stuff around. But in any case, I don't mind starting from scratch, all I have now are these demos and the Aerosoft Airbus pack

Hmm don't think so. Mesh can be installed anywhere anyway, and the ORBX items (at least global) has to be in the same folder as FSx, so being it's alrewdy there, i would still have to mode stuff around. But in any case, I don't mind starting from scratch, all I have now are these demos and the Aerosoft Airbus pack

Dont tell my system that ::) it  thinks its working fine on a drive outside of fsx lol. But I agree with you, its always best to start from scratch !

Archived