Blurry Ground Textures And Few Autogen

Hi all,

Aboute one week ago, I purchased Orbx's FTX Global product for FSX: Steam Edition. The ground textures are verry blurry and there are very few autogen buildings, most of the time there are non. The product looks nothing like it is advertised (a breach of the Sale of Goods Act 1979, meaning I am entitled to a refund if I wish  https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/common-problems-with-products/goods-are-not-as-described/the-goods-don-t-match-their-description/).I do hope I recieve some help to get the product working, I have all my scenery sliders on full so I do not understand what the problem is.

Freddie

Hi Freddie

Could you give us some more info please...like what are your system specs? What other addons do you have installed?

Also please post a couple of screenshots...here's how...

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/38447-how-to-post-a-screenshot-on-the-orbx-forums/

Thanks

Doug

My Specifications are Intel Core i3-3227U CPU @ 1.90 GHz

6 GB RAM

64 Bit Windows 8.1

My FSX runs fine in terms of FPS, I get around 25-30fps in the PMDG 777 and NGX VC, using EZDOK

I previously installed Justs Flights UK VFR scenry, which I believe I have removed. Even so, I still have the problem all over the world.

Hi Freddie, if you have your sliders up full, that's likely the cause of the problem.  Try turning them down a bit.  Blurries are usually a sign that the sim engine can't draw the scenery fast enough for your flight, so it's a case of adjusting the sliders to get a best result.  1.9GHz is a little bit slow by today's standards; faster CPUs struggle to run with sliders maxed.  Also, if you are using P3D try googling for FFTF and blurries, or have a look here.

Edit: Spotted you're on Steam, so ignore the P3D bit.

Hi Freddie

I agree with jabble, and IMO your screenshots show a system that is not able to keep up...FSX is very processor dependant and the i3 at 1.9ghz will not be able to run it with the sliders maxed. Also FTX Global only replaces the default FSX textures it has no affect on autogen and has none to very little performance impact except for maybe like in my case and others where it has actually improved overall performance. :)

Doug

Hi Freddie - just to check - did you install the latest Orbxlibs last of all?  What Group setting are you using in FTX Central 2?

AFAIK this support forum is the only way to contact Orbx - usually if initial advice by other customers doesn't fix a problem, the staff join in to help.  Also, you'll likely be asked to add your order number to your sig, just to confirm you're a legit customer.  Details how to here.

Hi Freddie

You are in the right place to deal with your issue...this is an awesome forum community that will provide tons of help and suggestions. :)

The Orbx staff is here as well and will surely join in at some point.

Hi Freddie, if you have your sliders up full, that's likely the cause of the problem.  Try turning them down a bit.  Blurries are usually a sign that the sim engine can't draw the scenery fast enough for your flight, so it's a case of adjusting the sliders to get a best result.  1.9GHz is a little bit slow by today's standards; faster CPUs struggle to run with sliders maxed.  Also, if you are using P3D try googling for FFTF and blurries, or have a look here.

Edit: Spotted you're on Steam, so ignore the P3D bit.

Hi Freddie

I agree with jabble, and IMO your screenshots show a system that is not able to keep up...FSX is very processor dependant and the i3 at 1.9ghz will not be able to run it with the sliders maxed. Also FTX Global only replaces the default FSX textures it has no affect on autogen and has none to very little performance impact except for maybe like in my case and others where it has actually improved overall performance. :)

Doug

Pretty much answered what you are seeing, blurries are a classic sign of a user's system not keeping up. Also note in one shot you have an enhanced version of EGLL (Mega Airport London Heathrow?) so in combination of that and the PMDG it's all adding to the overhead.

Global is texture replacement, using the same dimension 1024x1024 texture files that ships with default.  I'd also recommend looking at pages 19-21 in the Global user guide for performance settings.

Some other topics of blurries that might help

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/96605-blurries-causing-extreme-frustration-help-please/?hl=blurries

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/90119-blurry-terrain-after-ftx-global-installed/?hl=blurries#entry819931

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/89633-washed-out-terrain/?hl=blurries#entry816475

Sorry, but we cannot offer a refund in this instance. There is no suggestion to purchase a new PC and you should be able to enjoy Global as it is only a texture replacement and should contribute too much strain on a system.

We offer time unlimited demos for Global and our regions as well a lot of freeware so that potential customers can check our products prior to purchasing.

The Sale of Goods Act 1979 says that any goods you buy from a trader must be:

• of satisfactory quality
  • fit for purpose
  • match any description given.

If  they aren’t, you normally have the right to return the goods and get all your money back. This is called a full refund. A full refund includes the cost of all postage and packing.

Hi Freddie,

Global itself works fine - but clearly you have a problem, so it makes sense to sort that out.

Problems may include a faulty installation, as well as any performance tuning needed.

Hence my question about installing the Orbxlibs last of all - did you do that OK?

Hi Freddie

We would like the opportunity to help make this work for you...if you are interested in putting in a bit of effort. :) The product is of satisfactory quality, it does fit the purpose, and it does match the description given. :)

Here is a thread that may give you a few more ideas:

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/98377-ftx-global-base-and-fsx-fps/#entry891471

And as Jabble suggests...please confirm that you were able to install the latest Orbx Libraries located at the bottom of the support page.

https://www.fullterrain.com/support

Cheers

Doug

I installed FTX global normally and reinstalled it twice and I also have Orbxlibs150331 for FSX. I have my settings as low as I am happy with. As for my PC performance not being good enough, the ORBX FTX global site and Flightsim Store say nothing about system requirements.

Sorry, we don't provide refunds in your case as per our clearly stated policy on the front page of our website: https://fullterrain.com/refunds

The simple fact is that FTX Global is not defective. It has been sold tens of thousands of times without complaints of blurry textures and underwent thorough testing before being released. It simply replaces the same resolution textures as default so it would indicate that default textures on your PC would also be blurry.

It appears that the issue is local to your PC or Windows installation and whatever software is running in your environment that is taking CPU cycles away from the terrain rendering system. Please also follow the recommended settings in the User a Guide.

Please seek assistance to fine tune your PC performance and software environment rather than blaming a same-for-same texture replacement product and citing consumer law to us.

This support topic will be marked 'answered' and no further input from our staff will be offered.

John Venema,

"No further input from our staff will be offered" 

Is this what ORBX is? A company that charges an excessive amount of money for a product which they refuse to offer help when someone is having an issue with getting the product to work? I understand that the product works on most peoples PC's but for me it does not. It shows that the company is lazy as they offer a poorly optimized product which will not work unless you have some $3,000 PC and are too lazy to offer assistance. My issue has not at all been answered, although I very much appreciate help from community members such as Doogles and Jabble. What a joke of a company.

Sorry, we don't provide refunds in your case as per our clearly stated policy on the front page of our website: https://fullterrain.com/refunds

The simple fact is that FTX Global is not defective. It has been sold tens of thousands of times without complaints of blurry textures and underwent thorough testing before being released. It simply replaces the same resolution textures as default so it would indicate that default textures on your PC would also be blurry.

It appears that the issue is local to your PC or Windows installation and whatever software is running in your environment that is taking CPU cycles away from the terrain rendering system. Please also follow the recommended settings in the User a Guide.

Please seek assistance to fine tune your PC performance and software environment rather than blaming a same-for-same texture replacement product and citing consumer law to us.

This support topic will be marked 'answered' and no further input from our staff will be offered.

Hi Freddie

The minimum PC system requirements to run FSX are posted on the FSX SE purchase page...and those specs will only just barely run FSX with the sliders at the minimum values without any addons, and your PC is just a touch under those minimums in the processor department where it counts the most....FSX has always been known to be extremely PC horsepower needy and even a $3000 PC will struggle with the sliders maxed. The only thing we can do at this point is to "fine tune your PC performance and software environment" as John advises, and run your FSX at minimum settings. This hobby is and has always been about trying to achieve a best case scenario balance between performance and visuals using what we have for hardware. FTX Global does not cause any additional performance issues that do not already exist with default FSX. :)

Hi Freddie,

Doogles and JV are quite correct in their assessment.  Steam's minimum specs:

System Requirements

• MINIMUM: 
    • Processor: 2.0 Ghz or higher (single core) 
    • Memory: 2 GB RAM 
    • Graphics: DirectX®9 compliant video card or greater, 256 MB video RAM or higher, Shader Model 1.1 or higher (Laptop versions of these chipsets may work but are not supported. Updates to your video and sound card drivers may be required) 
    • DirectX: Version 9.0c 
    • Network: Broadband Internet connection 
    • Hard Drive: 30 GB available space 
    • Additional Notes: Broadband internet connection required for multiplayer features

As your 1.9GHz CPU is a tad below that, you'll have to make do with sliders generally to the left, though there should be various optimisation methods you can use to get the best out of it.  I'd suggest that any detailed airport addons (such as Heathrow) would be a bad idea, as they tend to be demanding on resources.  Orbx Global is a texture replacer so should not significantly impact performance - indeed it may even increase it slightly.  One factor which can have a high impact, but often overlooked, is the traffic sliders - you could try setting them to zero to see if it helps.  Check the links the others gave above for more details and ideas.

And just for the record, the $3000 computer to run FSX well is a myth.  I could replace my i7-920 through the second hand markets for around $500 if I chose to wait for the right one to come up, or, at my local computer warehouse, everything I need to run FSX with at least Very Dense scenery can be purchased for around $1000 (not including screen).

MSY offer a Intel Core i5-4690 3.5GHz (LGA-1150) $1020 with SSD and 2Tb HDD and a GTX750 video card.  Around 600 pounds I think.

Systems in the UK might be a bit more expensive but I'm sure you would have discounting warehouses etc as well.

I looked up your processor and it looks like it's a processor you'd find in a notebook or small laptop.  That limits your options severely because they are not designed to be upgradable.

I've just had a look on eBay UK for computers with i5 cpu 3GHz or faster and there are many ranging from around 100 pounds to 200 pounds that would provide a good FSX experience, allowing the Autogen slider to be set at Dense in most of the UK. (Very Dense away from the larger cities).  Most don't seem to offer a screen but I know locally that LCD monitors of medium resolution are cheap as chips second hand.

Unfortunately FSX does require a substantial investment to get a good experience, just like any hobby or sport. However the rewards for a moderate investment can be great, but you still need to make that minimum level of investment.

Unfortunately laptop motherboards tend to be proprietary, and components are designed to work in low-cooling low-power environments which makes them not the best performers.  There'd be nothing to gain by changing case.  If you have less than 8GB RAM, expanding to that might be your best value-for-money upgrade route; buying faster CPUs & GPUs for laptops usually doesn't get you much bang for your buck, if it's even possible.  There are gaming laptops, but they're pretty expensive and still prone to cooling problems.  I had one that continually had overheating problems, and now I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole.

If it were me, I'd start saving to build my own desktop, as that would be the most economic way to get a reasonable performer.  Read up on what's involved in building your own machine.  It's worth checking out the likes of Scan and Dabs to keep an eye on what prices they have, as they often have discounts and promotions on certain items.  The second-hand market is also buoyant, though be careful of warranties.  For a few hundred quid you would likely end up with a much better performer than your laptop.  Finances may mean it won't happen quickly, but it's still a useful thing to aim for.

Freddie

Here is also some really good info....it is a bit outdated, and a very long intense read...but so so worth it! Even if one doesn't follow it to the letter..just a good overall way of thinking and gaining and a realistic perspective of what we are dealing with... I found to be priceless. :)

http://www.simforums.com/forums/the-fsx-computer-system-the-bible-by-nickn_topic46211.html

Just so there's no confusion, those eBay computers I looked up were desktops, not laptops.  I have found the second hand market ideal for buying computers as you often save 60-70% on new price for something that is only a couple of years old.  My i7 rig was only 9 months old when I paid half what the seller bought it for, and I then got another 30% back by selling unwanted components out of the box that I already had.

Computers are a fairly safe bet as far as buying a lemon... if it boots up from cold and dark, and can run a few selected programs, then there's not much chance there's anything wrong with it.  Especially if the seller looks like a reasonably neat person and has a good reason for selling such as an upgrade or going away.

I had the same problem on my old computer. This new one runs it much better. It has nothing to do with the product, Ill bet you are running out of memory. On your computer you should go to Advanced System Settings>Performance(set) then type in the max amount of memory your computer will hold. 

Hope this helps. 

Avery Hammerman

Would thiss PC run FSX well, I may upgrade it to 8, or even 12 GB RAM 

Brand:

HP

Processor Speed:

3.0GHz

Product Line:

DC7900

Memory:

4GB

Model:

DC7900

Hard Drive Capacity:

250HDD

Operating System:

Windows 7 Pro 64 bit

Operating System Edition:

Professional 64 bit

Processor Type:

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400

Not really.  It will struggle.  The chip is old generation and is about half the speed of an i5 chip.

You could run FSX and ORBX with Dense settings OK, using the default aircraft but as soon as you added a complex add-on aircraft you'd be disappointed.

Also it doesn't say what graphics card it has.

Finally, a lot of HP and Dell brand name computers have restricted ability to modify, a no name homebuilt would be a better choice

Archived