Blurries causing extreme frustration - Help please!

malcolmt16

Please see my screenshot.

Blurries.jpg

This is a typical example of the way my textures look when flying at low level.  The screenshot shows them directly under/ around my aircraft.  I am just out of Gatwick, at around 5000ft.  The textures on the ground and just after take-off are perfectly crystal clear, but as soon as I get a few miles from the AP, I get these textures, which suggests to me it could be a texture loading issue.  When I arrived at my destination (EHAM), the textures near the ground are exactly the same.

I have researched this problem for weeks here on the forum, and tried all sorts of suggestions, to no avail.  I’m just about tearing my hair out, because I know people with similar, or even lower spec PCs, to mine do not have these issues.

So:

I am using P3D 2.5 with the following installed:

GLOBAL
FTX Global Base Pack FTX GLOBAL BASE PACK - Version 1.10 September 2013
FTX Global openLC Europe FTX openLC Europe Version 1.15 - January 2015
FTX Global Vector FTX GLOBAL VECTOR PACK - Version 1.20 October 2014

OTHER
Orbx Libraries FTX AA ORBX LIBRARIES VER 150331 31st MARCH 2015

PILOTS FS Global 2010 mesh for P3D

My PC is an i7 4770K, with 16GB RAM, Nvidia GTX780 Ti, running windows 8

P3D and FTX installed on 520GB SSD.  Frames pegged at 30 (and stay there with the PMDG 737NGX)

My scenery.cfg looks to have all the correct entries, in the correct order.  I do not set extreme settings in the sim.  I am having no problems with VAS, and have always had approx. 1GB spare when experiencing these issues.

Can somebody help please?!!!

Thanks

Malcolm

Order #FSS0315841 (Global Base; Global Vector)

Order #FSS0366906 (Global open LC Europe)

Nvidia GTX780 Ti   (Latest drivers I presume?)

The only other question I have is are you using a stock .cfg? I have found recently as indicated by many others that using the base cfg is best. Tweak away with frames slider but for me - I run maxed out - I started with these since I run a higher end GFX card than your - but lower CPU - http://www.robainscough.com/Prepar3D_Settings_2.html - and tweaked away a bit - I run a seamless 30 fps all regions  with these settings. I do not use his nvidia inspector settings as latest indications for me with 2.5 seem to detract somewhat when I do.

I got a bad attack of the blurries after installing 2.5, and what cured it for me was playing with the FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION value, and also using a fixed FPS.  So while many folks say don't tweak, I'd still be blundering around in blurryland if I hadn't.

I got a bad attack of the blurries after installing 2.5, and what cured it for me was playing with the FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION value, and also using a fixed FPS.  So while many folks say don't tweak, I'd still be blundering around in blurryland if I hadn't.

What's your value for FFTF, jabble?

What's your value for FFTF, jabble?

I'm currently on 0.05

I tried it lower down to 0.01 for a while - it cured the blurries but I felt a few performance drops, while with this figure it seems pretty good so far.  Fixed frame of 25.

I'm currently on 0.05

I tried it lower down to 0.01 for a while - it cured the blurries but I felt a few performance drops, while with this figure it seems pretty good so far.  Fixed frame of 25.

That seems low.  Adam in his DX10 Fixer "How-To" Guide recommends at least 0.11, since lower than this may cause blurring at fast speeds at low level.  I'm guessing you're not flying at "fast speeds" at low level however.

That seems low.  Adam in his DX10 Fixer "How-To" Guide recommends at least 0.11, since lower than this may cause blurring at fast speeds at low level.  I'm guessing you're not flying at "fast speeds" at low level however.

This was a difficult one for the guide, as there seem to be a lot of contradictions associated with this tweak.

The original info from Phil Taylor's blog (FSX only) states that it only works for single core machines:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ptaylor/archive/2007/05/11/tweak-of-the-week.aspx

... but that was way back in 2007.

Further experiments - and tests for FSX and P3D:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/454792-fiber-frame-time-fraction/

These threads are often confusing, as posters have a bad habit of putting the decimal point in the wrong place! Arrrgh!

Adam.

Pretty much!  I'll try something faster just to see.  I sure don't claim to have the best solution for everyone, but it does seem that FFTF is the one to deal with.

Thanks for the guide, Adam!

In my experience the blurries principally result from flying faster over terrain than the coding can handle.  FFTF tweaks have shown improvement initially but have always led to other consequences down the track.  LOD radius in P3D is fixed at 6.5 isn't it?  If you're flying any sort of jet or similar speeds over the dense English scenery the blurries are almost inevitable.  Perhaps FFTF will work, I can't say as I don't have P3D myself.  Just watch out for the placebo effect, where a new tweak appears to give results as the sim is reloaded fresh, but over the longer time it always reverts to where you were before.

In my experience the blurries principally result from flying faster over terrain than the coding can handle.

Makes sense.  Hence if you make that a higher priority, something else will lose out.  This is where LM making P3D more multi-threaded / multi-core friendly could bring significant benefits - we'd just have to ensure our CPU coolers could cope.

So it comes down to trade-offs that we're prepared to live with e.g. less blurries but nearer cloud radius would be OK for me, as it takes me so long to get there ;)

Well, thank you all my friends.  It seems I have eliminated the blurries (fingers crossed!!).

With your help, this is what worked for me:

1. Deleted the p3d.cfg file and started afresh.

2. Installed the  latest drivers for my Nvidia GTX780 Ti.

3. Added only 2 entries to my config file as follows:

• FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.01

and what was the clincher for me:

• AffinityMask=4095

This was  set at 84 at first, and I still had the blurries, but changing it to Rob Ainscough's suggestion had the magical effect.

I now have pin-sharp textures where I had a pixelated  mess before!

Thanks everyone.

Malcolm

Shouldn't Core 0 be left alone for other tasks if they happen to come up?

I think so, but I'm not sure.  I've just left mine on default (i.e. no entry) - trying to keep my tweaks to a minimum.  Results may be more significant for some CPUs than others.

Shouldn't Core 0 be left alone for other tasks if they happen to come up?

I left my core 0 (real and logical) alone for that reason, as I have OPUS running and often run complex aircraft that do a lot of processing outside of FSX/P3D. Also, I often run FSX/P3D alongside other apps when I'm in repainting mode.

Anyway - great to hear of the improvement!

Adam.

Archived