Am I the only one? HD Trees are frying my GPU

wolfko

Correction of the topic title: I meant, "...frying my GPU". Could please someone of the mods correct the title of the topic - thank you!

When using HD Trees (at 1024 x 1024) the temperature of my GTX 770 4GB rises up to approx  79/80°C. This is approx 5 - 6°C higher than without Trees HD. This would not be a problem per se, if not the cooling fans became so annoyingly noisy that I did my last couple of flights without Trees HD again. This really is a pity because I love these HD trees, they just look so good and they are providing a fantastic performance. Using headphones will probably be the solution.

Anybody else having the same issue?

Hi Wolfgang,

I've edited your post title as requested

As for your "issue", I must honestly admit that I haven't seen or noted such behavior, and we've been testing at all levels with settings absolutely maxxed out all the way, with fsX quite an improvement on fps and system load, with P3D no difference except the way better looking trees of course.

So I'm left wondering as to what else could instigate such behavior of your GPU

Greetings All,

Wolfgang, I would also suggest cleaning out the inside of your PC if you haven't done so in a while. It is amazing how much dust can be sucked into the case and blown out of the GPU with some canned, compressed air! 8)  ( i live on a dirt road and have to do this about once a month....)

Respectfully,

Brian

In FSX my card is never properly utilized anyways so my temperatures are always around 50 to 60. In P3D I see no difference between the default FTX regional tree's and the new HD tree's, my temperatures at

4K stay at 55C to 65C depending on load.

A big thank you to everyone, who responded. Indeed the front and the rear case fans were not spinning due to a loose power connector. I'm wondering for how long I was already using my PC without these fans working. I guess it only now became obvious when using these very detailed trees within P3d2 with the vegetation autogen slider fully to the right, vegetation casts shadows and vegetation receives shadows enabled. But all is good now and I can enjoy these marvelous Trees HD in all their glory! :)

Thanks again, Wolfgang 

Archived