No performance increase with Trees HD

Demious

I bought the Trees HD pack, because I can surely use the performance upgrade, but after trying to the get any improvement, all day, I havent seen any difference in FPS at all.

To make sure there wasnt anything in my system preventing the increase in performance, I did a complete fresh install and checked performance after every new addition. I did this at the airport my need for extra FPS is greatest (CYVR) and advised by Scott, I did this at a place in a specifically woody area in Sweden (ESMC). These are the results:

All measurements were taken with the default flight moved to the respective airport, with no other changes other then the addition of the item mentioned with the measurement.

w/o TreesHD        w TreesHD

CYVR        Fresh Windows7 & Clean P3D             32FPS

ESMC        Fresh Windows7 & Clean P3D             55FPS

CYVR        with FTX Global                                    30FPS                 29FPS

ESMC        with FTX Global                                    57FPS                 57FPS

CYVR        with ORBX airports                               31FPS                 28FPS

ESMC        with ORBX airports                               55FPS                 55FPS

CYVR        with REX                                               32FPS                 31FPS

ESMC        with REX                                               56FPS                 55FPS

CYVR        with ASN                                               34FPS                 34FPS

ESMC        with ASN                                               57FPS                 59FPS

I've got more measurements, but they all come down to the same. FPS is pretty much the same, with at most 1FPS decrease for the TreesHD. The only increase I've seen is the last measurement listed, for ESMC with +2FPS. I also read several posts where others also arent getting any improvement, so I'm not the only one having this problem.

What can I be doing wrong that I dont get to see any improvement at all?

If your machine is already optimised then you won't necessarily see any improvement other than the look of the textures.\

Once you get over about 20-25 fps your eyes can't tell the difference between the figures you're quoting so I'm not sure why it's an issue.

I don't think "it's an issue", John, I think maybe Demious has read, like others, of the potential performance increase.  Certainly don't doubt the increases some have experienced - good luck to them.  For me, there was a noticeable decrease but then as I've a lower-end set-up perhaps it was to be somewhat expected.  I'm not too bothered, I've removed them and moved on.  Certainly not an issue - just continuing to enjoy the fabulous Orbx world  ;D

I know the statistics, it's more about situations where my FPS dips below 15 that I'm looking for some improvement.

And to quote a few of the promotional phrases used by the ORBX team:

"it will actually give you UP TO A +10 FPS BOOST IN PERFORMANCE!!"

"Trees HD will: Improve performance by up to 10 FPS"

"Basically, it's like a CPU upgrade for your computer"

It doesnt say 'might', or 'maybe'... It says '...wíll actually give...', 'Trees HD wíll...' and 'it ís...'.

From these statements, it's clear that the major aspect of this product is the performance boost. Which is underlined by the fact that the improved graphics, even though they are beautiful (nothing wrong with that), are only noticeable when you pay specific, close attention to the trees when you're on the ground. Which everyone will undoubtedly do, but on the second flight, on the ground you're working your aircraft again and at 2500ft, when you're doing your thing as usual, instead of constantly focusing on trees below, it's not all that obvious. So from what was promised and from the results when flying, the main aspect of the product would be the performance boost, with a very nice bonus of improved graphics, when you pay close attention to it.

Not everyone has a monster setup like your rig. With 4.8 GHz and plenty VRAM autogen textures don't seem to be a bottleneck for your system. That you won't get a noticeable boost is pretty foreseeable for me if your system gets a solid 30 FPS around CYVR.

Try to find a place that makes your system sweat (~20 FPS) and has a lot of different tree textures (KSEA maybe? KSFO?). Maybe under this circumstances you can notice an effect, but with your monster system I doubt it.

I'm intrigued by your statement about your FPS dropping below 15 FPS in certain areas, Demious.  With a powerful system such as yours, this drop could be the result of something happening in the background.  Since you are evidently thorough in your approach to  this issue as evidenced by your original post, have you taken the opportunity to monitor your system to check to see if your processor is burdened by something other than flightsim related items?  Maybe, if the drop you are experiencing is periodic, intermittent, etc., you are DLing something in the background?  Possibly something that is scheduled but has skipped your mind?

The free Process Explorer can tell you the CPU load of all processes that are, or are not, flightsim-related.

I see my fps dropping, for example, when a background download process requires download scans from my AV software with significant CPU load. (Flightsim applications are excluded from realtime scans, of course.)

".............It doesnt say 'might', or 'maybe'... It says '...wíll actually give...', 'Trees HD wíll...' and 'it ís...'.............."

Your fps looks fine to me. Perhaps your expectations were a bit misplaced also you left out the words "....up to...".

For me the emphasis is on the HD trees & not the performance boost which you seem to be looking for.

The pics are over Popham airfield in the UK

HD trees rocks!

dy4JWv.jpgXrajwX.jpg

Once you get over about 20-25 fps your eyes can't tell the difference between the figures you're quoting so I'm not sure why it's an issue.

A little bit offtopic, but as this is still constantly being repeated in forums all over the world and simply wrong, I have to post this: your eye is easily capable of telling the difference between 25 and 50 FPS. The assumption that the human eye can not see more than 25FPS is simply wrong. Here some links, I am sure that you will also instantly realize the difference (especially if you deactivate motion blur in the first link):

http://frames-per-second.appspot.com

http://30vs60.com/bf4running.php

https://boallen.com/fps-compare.html

Hang tight Demious, I'm looking into this now.  And thanks for putting together a thorough report of your FPS.

One other thing that will help:  Try going to your Prepar3D v2\scenery\Global\scenery folder, find "vegetation.bgl", and let me know the Date Modified and size of that file both before and after applying Trees HD.  Thanks!

-Scott

"One other thing that will help:  Try going to your Prepar3D v2\scenery\Global\scenery folder, find "vegetation.bgl", and let me know the Date Modified and size of that file both before and after applying Trees HD.  Thanks!

-Scott"

Can you tell me what the date and size should be?  Mine is 11th April 2012, before and after installing trees

After several days of testing and research it indeed seems that not all users, particularly in P3D, are experiencing the performance gains as advertised.  This is contrary to what our beta testing indicated, but at current time it's become apparent that there were changes made to the P3D autogen architecture by Lockheed Martin that changes the way autogen is rendered, and these affect some systems more than others.  Because of this, we've toned down the performance boost claims in our advertising, although it is still quite clear from our own testing and many user's reports that performance gains with Trees HD may be seen in FSX and FSX:SE, in many areas, particularly when many trees are displayed on the screen at once.  We truly apologize that the product isn't living up to your expectations, but the main feature of Trees HD is, and always has been, the new high resolution tree textures.  Please also consider that the price of AUD $22.95 was set well before the performance boost was announced.  Again, our sincere apologies for this failing, and we hope that the product lives up to your expectations otherwise.

Best Regards,

Scott

Thumbs up, Orbx trees improves my experience and immersion.  I don't particularly care about the mathematics it is about what I see on screen that counts.

Thank you Orbx, please keep up the good work on squeezing every last drop out of this ageing platform.

I am curious as to what purpose the o/p has in having two mismatched Graphic cards,are you running them in sli or attempting to use one as a physx card?

Not trying to shift any blame to your system,but I have never seen a system with this set up..

If this "method" serves some purpose I would be glad of any info on it as I have an old 760 sitting in a box doing nothing?

Cheers.

Gary

Archived