FSX SE on sale again...USD$5.00

Triplane

Yes, but only if you completely uninstall the boxed version and clean up all the leftovers - including registry entries. Here's one thread and there are many others in the FSX SE support forum   http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/89484-using-orbx-products-with-fsx-steam-edition-faq/   .

It can be made to work with the boxed version installed but that's a whole other subject. Again, look at the support forum for FSX SE fir more information.

Well I downloaded it, will install eventually no doubt, not looking forward to completely uninstalling the boxed version though.  WIll need proof positive that it does improve performance, and that the perceived gains seen by others aren't just the result of having a new clean install, or the placebo effect.

Well I downloaded it, will install eventually no doubt, not looking forward to completely uninstalling the boxed version though.  WIll need proof positive that it does improve performance, and that the perceived gains seen by others aren't just the result of having a new clean install, or the placebo effect.

While this may well not sway you any, I'm one of the "converts"...

All I can offer is what differences I've found between the two versions. Take my observations as you will... They are by no means scientific, but the general consensus that I have seen matches my results. My standard "benchmark" is Seattle in heavy weather with traffic.

Fresh Legacy FSX:

Minimal Tweaks to config: HighMemFix, AffinityMask, MaxTexture=2048 and Lod_Radius=6.5

DX10 Mode using Steve's DX10 Fixer

Settings all one notch from full (except autogen density and scenery complexity which is fully to the right)

ALL Orbx scenery installed

Many (30 plus) addon aircraft installed

Many other third party airports installed

Traffic360 installed and set to 35%

Activesky Next with heavy clouds and rain

Flying in Seattle area produces FPS of 12 on average. 

Very quickly results in a OOM error (maximum flying time was 5 minutes)

Flying in Rural area produces FPS of 40 on average.

Fresh FSX Steam Edition:

Minimal Tweaks to config: HighMemFix, AffinityMask, MaxTexture=2048 and Lod_Radius=6.5

DX10 Mode using Steve's DX10 Fixer

Settings all fully right (except Mesh set to 5m as required for FTX scenery, and water one notch lower than full)

ALL Orbx scenery installed

Many (30 plus) addon aircraft installed

Many other third party airports installed

Traffic360 installed and set to 35%

Activesky Next with heavy clouds and rain

Flying in Seattle area produces FPS of 19 on average. 

No OOM error

Flying in Rural area produces FPS of 58 on average (seen 92 in some places!)

Again, hardly scientific, but with higher settings, I'm getting better results using Steam Edition. 

I have had a few g3d errors but these are rare and are actively being worked on by Dovetail.

Fresh FSX Steam Edition:

Just an FYI, you dont need to manually put HighMemFix in the .cfg, its hardcoded in and you can actually conveniently change the Max Texture by adjusting the Global Texture Resolution slider. Full right is 4096, one notch down is 2048, and 2 notches down is 1024. Nice feature. 

Just an FYI, you dont need to manually put HighMemFix in the .cfg, its hardcoded in and you can actually conveniently change the Max Texture by adjusting the Global Texture Resolution slider. Full right is 4096, one notch down is 2048, and 2 notches down is 1024. Nice feature. 

You know, I kinda knew that... I guess I just have a hard time giving up old habits ;)

Rob

Thank you for your comparison information between FSX and FS Steam. At least it solved the OOM problem.

I'm sure it's still there... running PMDG aircraft at max settings into Seattle will probably induce one, but the good news is it's much better... I haven't had one yet.

A lot has to do with something Dovetail did under the hood... I don't know what it is exactly, but the old version of FSX keeps adding stuff as you fly into memory and you never get that memory back... Even if you fly away from the item that was stored. This is why old FSX runs out of memory so often... It eventually fills up and when it does, OOM crash.

New FSX (Steam Edition) seems to behave much better with memory... It will constantly purge things it no longer needs so you never really fill it up during a flight.

Where you may run into issues is if you use top shelf products for scenery, traffic, weather, aircraft etc all at the same time... if those items collectively get close to the maximum memory, even the slightest nudge of new data loaded may tip it over the edge.

That's why I have specific settings I use for high end aircraft, that reduce scenery detail a little... Seems to work nicely so far :)

Rob

It is no doubt that existing flight simulator main programs development are far below the fast growth of add-on programs. The add-on programs are becoming in very high capacity from Mb to Gb now that always causes OOM. Fortunately, the FS Steam can solve not entirely but part of this and majority of the FSX programs especially Orbx add-on programs can be used in FS Steam. That is good news at least we can save money and continue our hobby. Hoping FS Steam developer will continue to improve it and devise a 64 bit program for us.

For anyone on the fence, here is a "side by side" and "Top 10" video I did early on in the release. I honestly was VERY skeptical of Dovetail early on, but when I bought it, tested it, stress tested it, tried to break it, and couldnt, I became a believer. Honestly for $4.99 USD its better than a beer at the local bar. 

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUxjBd4xz58

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UpQgUBKDKM

Hi

Sounds a great price but will all of Orbx work on it ?

Yes, I have all my Orbx installed without any problem. I have also Ozx airports , Ants airports, Scotflight airports, UK2000 airports, Airports of Norway and many other bought and free airports. I am running REX Essentials and Soft Clouds all without any problems at all and the best of it is my fps rates are at least 40% better than I can get with previous sim.

Kind regards

Ian

Hi Jordan,

Nice to see you, I think your video's are tremendous, and I look forward's to viewing them, as soon as they are released, and mainly as a result of your video's, I moved over to FSX SE a couple of weeks ago, and I am well pleased with the results! I have every single product of Orbx installed, ASN with REX Soft Clouds, plus the usual aircraft add ons, and apart from the usual hot spots, I am enjoying a very much smoother flying experience, with mainly better FPS's!

Thanks mate,

Well, this wont be the last discount I think. I got a key for free. I had been at the FlightSim conference in Paderborn a week ago and Dovetail was there and gave free keys away. I think it is the same approach as with Train Simulator. They make money with addons. So I guess there will be often discounts for FSX :)

Hi Jordan,

Nice to see you, I think your video's are tremendous, and I look forward's to viewing them, as soon as they are released, and mainly as a result of your video's, I moved over to FSX SE a couple of weeks ago, and I am well pleased with the results! I have every single product of Orbx installed, ASN with REX Soft Clouds, plus the usual aircraft add ons, and apart from the usual hot spots, I am enjoying a very much smoother flying experience, with mainly better FPS's!

Thanks mate,

Well that just made my day. Thanks for the kind words! I too have found there to be so much more joy in flying with FSX SE. I was one of the early adopters and faced alot of criticism when no one would believe my claims of the improvements but I am glad to see that just about everyone understands that there is tremendous value in spending $5 for it. Lets do shared cockpit sometime!

Archived