Using Orbx products with FSX: Steam Edition (FAQ)

This pinned topic will be updated regularly to provide important information on how to install and use Orbx products with FSX:SE which was released on Steam on December 18th 2014.

First off, our products are 100% compatible with FSX:SE.

Our Orbx installers will find the FSX:SE folders correctly as long as it is the only version of FSX installed. Only the version of FSX that uses the legacy Microsoft Windows Registry entries for the FSX work folders will be found by our installers. 

Co-existence mode (explained below) will come into play if FSX:SE detects any previous install of the boxed FSX version. If unistalling the boxed version prior to installing FSX:SE, make sure you use the uninstall function from your Add/Remove programs and use a registry cleaner (such as CCleaner) to remove any registry information that may remain of the boxed FSX version.

If co-extistance mode exists and you are only running FSX:SE, have a read here before installing any Orbx products http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/100665-ftx-central-cannot-locate-scenerycfg-file/

Our installers will NOT work if you have BOTH FSX:MS and FSX:SE installed. We do NOT intend to recompile over 100 installers to cater for a dual FSX installation so you have to decide which of the FSX versions you want to use. We suggest however that there is little point is having both versions of FSX installed on a single PC.

Quoting Tim Gatland, CEO of Dovetail Games: "One particular challenge is co-existence. As part of the FSX: Steam Edition installation, we did not want to overwrite any existing FSX boxed installation already present on a machine, so we created a co-existence mode where both versions of FSX can reside on the same machine. This can, not surprisingly, confuse installers and so where possible we encourage people to use separate machines for each version."

If you want to use DX Preview mode and avoid our FTX Global lights being displayed as black squares, you must purchase and install Steve's DX10 fixer tool and run FSX:SE in DX10 Preview Mode. You can get a copy of the tool here: http://www.flightsimstore.com/product_info.php?products_id=2630

(Alternatively there is a free shader fix for the lights (not yet tested by us) over at AVSIM) - http://library.avsim.net/login.php?Location=%2Fdownload.php%3FDLID%3D185080

ObjectFlow is compatible with FSX:SE, but when Dovetail update FSX:SE, we need to check that our DLL is compatible with the newer version. Once our DLL has been verified as being compatible, you will see a message either via FTX Central or when starting FSX:SE to update the DLL. Once updated you may need to "trust" this DLL again.

Check back to this pinned FAQ for more developments as they happen.

• Upvote 3

2. To avoid our FTX Global trees being displayed as black squares, you must purchase and install Steve's DX10 fixer tool and run FSX:SE in DX10 Preview Mode. You can get a copy of the tool here: http://www.flightsimstore.com/product_info.php?products_id=2630

(Alternatively there is a free shader fix for the lights (not yet tested by us) over at AVSIM) - http://library.avsim.net/login.php?Location=%2Fdownload.php%3FDLID%3D185080

Do you mean trees or lights or both ?

i am a little bit confused :-)

Hi Nick, as far as I understand, FTX lights only work in FSX:SE under DX10. In DX9 they will show up as black squares.

Check out John's post at Avsim http://forum.avsim.net/topic/457914-fsx-steam-released-80-off-sale/page-20#entry3137527

A. You can try this freeware shader fix here at AVSIM: http://library.avsim...php?DLID=185080

B. Or purchase Steve's DX10 fixer tool (highly recommended)

Either way, you'll need to run DX10 to fix our 3D lights, unless someone has a DX9 fix we don't know about. 

Am struggling with Orbx and FSX: SE compatibility and can't confirm that "Our Orbx installers will find the FSX:SE folders correctly as long as it is the only version of FSX installed." per the original post.

I am doubtless doing something wrong here.

I have removed the FSX boxed version installation from my PC but after then installing FSZ: SE and when installing FTX England  it declares that it will install it (FTX England) to the Microsoft Games/FSX folder, which is not where FSX: XE is installed. In fact the older FSX folder does not even exist anymore now that I have uninstalled it.

Should I carry on and let Orbx install to the non-existent Microsoft Games/FSX folder (I guess it will create it in the process) and then hope FSX:XE will work it out?

Or is there something else I should be doing? Something with the registry perhaps?

Thank you for your help

Should I carry on and let Orbx install to the non-existent Microsoft Games/FSX folder (I guess it will create it in the process) and then hope FSX:XE will work it out?

No that definitely won't work.   I kept the boxed version of FSX installed on my PC, and then installed FSX:SE afterwards.  All of the FTX Global, Vector, etc installers that I have run, have automatically located FSX:SE in it's correct location ( C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\FSX )  without me having to do anything.    I haven't gotten around to installing FTX England yet though, to check that.

When you run the FTX England installer, and see the old (MS) path, is there a 'browse' button or icon that would allow you to manually browse to the FSX:SE location, that I've quoted above?  Because that should work as an alternative.

I've read a couple of posts on other forums that suggest that, ironically, addons are installing into FSX:SE easier and more smoothly on PCs that have FSX:SE installed after but alongside, the original boxed FSX.      I know the registries are handled differently, and even the FSX.CFG has different names according to whether you only have FSX:SE installed (in which case it installs as FSX.CFG), or have original FSX installed as well (in which case it installs as FSX_SE.CFG).

Hope you get sorted.

Sadly no browsing option. Should I download the scenery again from FlightSim store I wonder...

I might do what you suggest and re-install the boxed version and then try installing FTX. But that seems crazy...

FSX Steam certainly runs better so I'd rather get that sorted even if it means waiting. Am sure Orbx will catch up soon.

A little help please. I just installed AU SP4 in the steam version of FSX.. pointed the installer to Steam-Steam aps_ Common- FSX and the installer ran fine..Orbx now has a folder in the sim with the AU SP in it, but nothing shows when I open the sim..Any help would be appreciated. Teecee.

• Upvote 1

JV, went to FSS and the DX fixer clearly states that FSX SE is not supported....so will it work and is not supported in the sense of help or will it not work at all.......I also found it interesting that the "fix" is three times more expensive than the program it's self.

Henry

I also found it interesting that the "fix" is three times more expensive than the program it's self.

Henry

You seem to have overlooked this line in the post.

Alternatively there is a free shader fix for the lights

(not yet tested by us) over at AVSIM) -

http://library.avsim...php?DLID=185080

the link requires that one is logged in at the Avsim

Library or a search for shader_release_v3.2.3.zip

will lead to the same location.

"A little help please. I just installed AU SP4 in the steam version of FSX.. pointed the installer to Steam-Steam aps_ Common- FSX and the installer ran fine..Orbx now has a folder in the sim with the AU SP in it, but nothing shows when I open the sim..Any help would be appreciated. Teecee."

Posted this yesterday,. No advice re this yet?? Teecee.

Am struggling with Orbx and FSX: SE compatibility and can't confirm that "Our Orbx installers will find the FSX:SE folders correctly as long as it is the only version of FSX installed." per the original post.

I am doubtless doing something wrong here.

I have removed the FSX boxed version installation from my PC but after then installing FSZ: SE and when installing FTX England  it declares that it will install it (FTX England) to the Microsoft Games/FSX folder, which is not where FSX: XE is installed. In fact the older FSX folder does not even exist anymore now that I have uninstalled it.

Or is there something else I should be doing? Something with the registry perhaps?

Thank you for your help

Hello...did you do a REGISTRY clean after you un-installed your FSX-MS installation?  Did you then reboot to the Desktop before installing FSX-SE?   With any program, there is always REGISTRY entries left over, that might be your problem. I do recommend a free-to-try REGISTRY cleaner like C.C. Cleaner.  I use this after each un-install of any software product, and for a monthly REGISTRY maintence routine. This might help you....

• Upvote 1

Sadly no browsing option. Should I download the scenery again from FlightSim store I wonder...

I might do what you suggest and re-install the boxed version and then try installing FTX. But that seems crazy...

FSX Steam certainly runs better so I'd rather get that sorted even if it means waiting. Am sure Orbx will catch up soon.

JMH,  I bought FSX-SE during the sale, but only have it on my STEAM account at present.  I'd like to ask you a question...can you please in any way you think to 'quantify' your remark that FSX-SE runs smoother than FSX-MS.   Better FPS on average?  Less micro, or outright chunk stutter?  What about the O.O.M. issues that most have with full-out settings in FSX-MS?

I bought FSX-SE for varied reasons, like getting a digital (disc free) copy as back-up insurance, etc...and to support Dovetail in showing that we will (legacy users) invest in this new FSX pathway.  Would you say that it (FSX-SE) is truly superior enough with usage, to have to go through a complete FSX reinstall  of my FSX portfolio?  I'd appreciate your comments.  Thanks

PNW user

I have CC Cleaner and in fact use it regularly.. The problem I have is that I have no FSX entries in the registry of any kind.. I truly think this was because I ran SP4.. I have re DL all four areas of Aus and intend to install them today..Fingers crossed. Teecee.

I know nothing of FSX SE but I think it logical to assume that

since there is no problem with the lights in Dx9, FSX SE runs

only in Dx10.......

Somebody know about it? When selecting preview DX10 in my FSX SE and restarting it, my nvidia card doesnt show at settings but my intel processor graphic card only.

Somebody know about it? When selecting preview DX10 in my FSX SE and restarting it, my nvidia card doesnt show at settings but my intel processor graphic card only.

Before anyone, yes, my nvidia 740M support DX10.

Dear PNW

I am no computer expert and have not been able to get my FSX boxed back onto my PC since uninstalling it (when I rashly thought FSX: SE was all I needed) so a side-by-side comparison is not something I can supply with validity.

However, when I first installed FSX SE I just noticed that there was no stutter whatsoever and the sliders seemed to all start at max. It was quite something.

Someone made a valid comment that new installs always feel like that, but even adjusted for that 'new install' effect I never recall FSX Boxed being so smooth from the get-go.

It surely must be something to do with the fact that it's been designed to work properly with Windows 8.1 and there are some technical improvements too. Be warned, there is some fierce debate going on about this issue.

So I can only give a subjective opinion, I am no PC programmer just an enthusiast.

Right now I'm in the position of FSX:SE installed, FSX Boxed uninstalled and not re-installable. So I either wait for ORBX to produce a patch/app or I do a clean Windows reinstall, then install FSX Boxed then FSX SE.

The latter option is probably somewhat excessive and ulcer-inducing when I have so many demands on my time!!

My sense is that most people are running dual installations and will take a view when ORBX produce a patch/app. If that app works well (and I'm sure it will) my suspicion is that FSX:SE will be the one to choose if indeed a choice has to be made (personally I need the hard disk space).

People will yell at me for that statement but there is a cleanness to the new version that makes it preferable in my view. And there is the promise of future updates as well.

Save yourself time and trouble and hold off installing Orbx products into FSX SE as the FTX Libraries won't install correctly.  My install has four separate simconnect.dll folders and none of the files therein match the filename ID number the FTX Libraries calls for when the error window pops up during the install sequence.   Installing simconnect SDK from a box version will not help.   In short, Orbx FTX products  are incompatible with FSX SE at this time.

C.

Just for information and as a possible helpful tip to John and the ORBX team, please note the following:

On a recently new computer, with old MSFSX files onboard, but NOT installed, and with a fresh clean FSXSE installed, your Iceland Demo installed (apparently) perfectly including the Libraries as indicated by the FSXSE Scenic Library entries and ORBX folders in FSXSE directory. When testing, only a momentary black flash around ONLY my default stock C172 aircraft appeared, then instantly converted to normal lighting.

Based upon this, it seems that the ORBX products (Iceland Demo) ARE installing AND working correctly in a clean computer with a clean FSXSE.

PS - I did notice that ground scenery shadows were not visible in the Iceland demo, although I have my settings on for that and they are working properly in non-ORBX areas. Is that normal for ORBX to NOT show ground scenery shadows even when they are turned on?

Thanks much!

Agree with Cabby's final point, there isn't really compatibility at this stage. It will come...

By the same token fsx boxed is barely compatible with windows 8.1. In fact I think on th emicrosoft website it says that it isn't compatible.

On a related theme, it would be quite cool if someone came up with a dedicated fsx removal tool since there are so many folders and reg entries which have to be deleted even after a formal windows uninstall. And even then things linger on somehow as I am discovering,..

• Upvote 1

Too many messages to read each and every one.

My report, I installed into Windows 8.1, FSX-SE, CD version of Pacific Northwest and Northern Rockies, new downloaded versions of Central Rockies, Northern California, Pacific Fjords, Southern Alaska, Global, Vector, and the following Airports, PAKN, PAJN, PAGA, and PAYA.

I do get the DLL errors, but all my lights, trees and everything else is working.  In DX9.  I haven't loaded up DX10 yet.

On a side note, I have Aerosoft Anchorage X, Fairbanks X, Dutch Harbor, and GSX working.  I have the new FSUIPC in and I can use external programs like FSEconomy and FSInn.  I don't see any reason to use the boxed edition anymore, being I have all the software working fine.  I also have Saitek hardware, and with their drivers, all that works too.

So, I hope that this report helps.  If your installing on a computer that had FSX boxed, you might consider formatting your drive, reinstalling Windows, and then install clean.  I tried to uninstall FSX boxed from Windows 7 and it didn't uninstall all the registry stuff, making it not want to install the FSX-SE and add-ons easy.

Hey fellow simmers.

I had a lot of issues with the current windows 7 with boxed FSX.  So I formatted the hard drive and reinstalled Windows 7, FSX, All Orbx, Aerosoft, Etc.  I don't have PMDG (word is that it wont work, but they are working on it.)  I have the Reg version of FSUIPC/WideFS.  I do tons of flying now, have some minor issues with Anchorage area (with Anchorage X).

All the Orbx installed with out a hitch, and pretty much works, I don't know if there is any best settings for FSX to work better, but sometimes textures don't look right with my sectors.  Noticed in NZ north and Southern Alaska.

As far as aircraft I use, I have Corinado Cessna's I fly mostly, but there are a few others.  I have used the default as well.  The current FSUIPC messes with the 3D cockpit controls, but over all the orbx stuff works fine.

I am having a prob installing global on fresh install of fsx. . It says it cant find my effects folder. Ive uninstalled installed and same problem. I dont want to start rernameing things till I know what im doing. Did search and could not find effects issue with anyone else. Im sure im just missing something.

My steam folder is in E drive. Would that be an issue? Never was asked if I wanted to change location of new FSX instal.

apologize if stupid question. Have a ton of add ons with no issues as of yet with steam. Just the most important one. Global!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

don't know why any one is having problems installing.  I don't think the drive letter would have anything to do with it.  I have all my orbx installed with only the known DLL file problem, but I found all and just removed them.  Not the best idea, I guess, but it works.  only thing I might suggest is totally reinstalling Windows and FSX like I did.

I have heard that there is a FTX Vector causing out of memory error, anyone know anything about that?  and if that is a problem how hard is it in removing vector? until there is a fix out for it anyway.

anyway, thank Orbx staff in working to make our stuff work, even if you don't have the updates as of this moment.

Hi guys - 

I have FTX Global and PNW working fine in FSX SE. Last night I downloaded the free airports in the PNW region (Vashon, Bowerman, West Wind etc). Now I receive and error relating to 'objectflow_cen4.dll' which if I choose to run crashes the sim. So I just ignore it. 

Is this the .dll that animates the scenery? 

Sorry if this has been answered already, but is there a fix in the works? 

Thanks,

Lenny

Thanks Nick. I did search specifically for "objectflow_cen4.dll" before posting. 

I have Vashon and Bowerman working and looking amazing in FSX SE. I also installed Claresholm Industrial and West Wind which, it would appear, aren't showing in FSX SE. 

Do you know if these don't work in FSX SE? 

Thanks,

Lenny

No, I'm sorry I don't know.

I do have a copy of FSX SE and I have attempted to

install various products into it with mixed success.

I have now removed them again as they all work perfectly

well in FSX.

My decision is to wait until there are proper fixes for the

problems.

@Nick Cooper

My decision is to wait until there are proper fixes for the

problems.

That seems to be reasonable !

Do you know if the FSX SE version of FS Global 2010 FTX (Pilot's mesh for ORBX products) will be delivered at the same period than the ORBX fixes.

Best regards

Claude