Hybrid drives.

Dadtom65

Hi Everyone. Anybody tried the the hybrid drives for FSX. Supposed to be part Ssd and normal drive. Just wondering if they are any good. At the momment have a 250 Ssd for FSX, and looks like going to need a 500 Ssd or even bigger later. Thanks Derek.

Hi Everyone. Anybody tried the the hybrid drives for FSX. Supposed to be part Ssd and normal drive. Just wondering if they are any good. At the momment have a 250 Ssd for FSX, and looks like going to need a 500 Ssd or even bigger later. Thanks Derek.

I have a 250Gb SSD for Operating system and a Seagate 2Tb Hybrid for P3D and sceneries. Having had in the past standard HDs have no intention of ever going back to them. Hybrid is faster and a lot quieter as well. Would not hesitate to recommend them.

I've gone straight SSD although I kept 1TB standard hard drive in there just for FSX/Orbx Backup. It has all the Orbx installation files on it as well a copy of my FSX/Orbx installation which I update every time I add something to FSX.

I've got a 250GB SSD for the OS and my train simulator. Another 250B SSD for both of my FS9 installations plus the 100GB worth of Pilot's Ultimate mesh for FSX. And a 500GB SSD for FSX/Orbx.

Noel

Probably the greatest improvement I have made, so far, to my FSX installation is to use a 1TB Seagate SSHD (Hybrid - see my specs)). This drive is only for FSX and addons. Once the drive settled down, after initial installation, and 'became used' to my regular startup routine I found it was giving me more consistent frames, faster load times and almost non-existent stutters. Very much a case of money on a budget well spent.

I also have a Samsung 840 Pro SSD for P3D with limited airports and mostly A2A aircraft. My video card holds me back in P3D so I tend to stay with FSX.

My operating system and other general junk is on a pair of 500GB hard drives configured in RAID 0.

All works well for me in my now older system :)

Regards,

Roger

Probably the greatest improvement I have made, so far, to my FSX installation is to use a 1TB Seagate SSHD (Hybrid

Just wait until you try a dedicated SSD performance system then :) No way are Hybrid drives offering better performance than even slow SSD's ... this is just another example of folk willing there major purchase to be better after they laid down their hard earned cash for it and putting their faith into it.

SSD Hybrid drives are a useless invention that I bet we'll see less and less of quite shortly, the prices of SSD's are dropping so fast these days you might as well go full speed for a proper SSD full speed Fix IMHO and pay the worthwhile extra more for.

I did consider a hybrid drive once for capacity when I wanted a fast 1TB drive to replace my already fast 1TB mechanical Western Digital Velociraptor, but upon research just went for a dedicated 1TB SSD and be done with it.

I don't think any one has suggested that Hybrids are as fast as SSDs but if your needing 1 TB space at a reasonably cheap price (Can't justify the price of 1TB SSD) this is a good compromise

Regards

SSD's are down enough in price, I currently have 2. One 80gb as a C drive that just has Windows on it. One 500gb as a D drive for FSX and all addons. I also have one 1tb SATA drive for storage purposes only. This works for me.

Having the O/S on an SSD is a substantial boost and having FSX on an SSD is an improvement, especially in things like installing, reinstalling, re-configuring things like REX or Ultimate Traffic, basically any time consuming process, also no more defrag ever 

2 SSD complete failure in not even 2 years, luckily not on my FSX rig. Both Kingston. Not a happy camper.

I lost all on it and some stuff i didn't backup...

Bad luck, you tell me?

Ben

I currently have 1 120Gb SSD strictly for Windows and a few basic programs, 1x 1Tb Sata3 for file storage and 2x 500Gb Sata3 configured into a single 1Tb RAID0 array for flight sim and some other games.

I'm very happy with this setup... The RAID0 is fast (not as fast as SSD, granted) enough to do flight sim justice, and I don't have to worry about constant writes to the SSD when simming. SSDs after all have limited read/write cycles and fail much sooner than regular magnetic platen based drives.

Of course, prices and capacities are improving almost daily so perhaps in a few years time, we'll have SSDs so cheap that they're considered disposable ;)

Archived