FSX:SE only, installed ~vs~ FSX:SE and Boxed FSX installed

One thing I've noticed regarding FSX:SE from 3 or 4 FS forums, is that not everyone is seeing the same results from trying to install the same existing addons into FSX:SE.

I installed FSX:SE whilst still having the original FSX installed.     My experience of then installing existing addons in to FSX:SE has been remarkably positive.   Almost all (including all Orbx ones so far) installers are automatically finding and pointing to my FSX:SE location.  Those that don't, usually let me manually change the file path to the FSX:SE location anyway.

But I've seen other people attempting to install the same addons that I had no issues with, into the same virgin FSX:SE installation that I have, and seeing different results;   eg. that the file path is still pointing to MS FSX.        - Here's the crux of this post, in almost all of the cases where I've seen people have these problems where the installer still tries to find the MS FSX location, it's been users who have only FSX:SE installed.  (In other words they uninstalled the box version first, or never had it installed in the first place.

It seems that when you install FSX:SE, and already have original FSX installed, FSX:SE 'takes over' the registry key (thus most installers that look for FSX will now find the FSX:SE file path, not the MS FSX one).

But it seems that people who just install FSX:SE (without having MS FSX installed) somehow get a different registry outcome, and a lot of installers still try to find the MS FSX file path.

Just talking aloud here, in hte hope that these observations may be useful to Jon et al, in looking at options for the installation of Orbx products into FSX:SE.

Although it seems counter-intuitive, I'm pretty sure that those that have both original FSX and FSX:SE installed, end up with a registry situation that means most addon installers are automatically finding the FSX:SE file path.

I've uninstalled the boxed version, installed the Steam version but Orbx still tries to install to the old version, even though I've cleaned out the registry. Go figure...

Uninstalling FSX and cleaning out the registry does not remove all the original FSX stuff from your user/name/appdata/ folders. You will continue to have problems installing FSX SE until you manually locate and delete everything FSX related in your User folders, Documents folders, ProgramData/Microsoft/FSX folders etc...

I've uninstalled the boxed version, installed the Steam version but Orbx still tries to install to the old version, even though I've cleaned out the registry. Go figure...

Yeah, that's exactly what I was trying to say in long-winded post  ^-^     It seems that people who did what you did, and only have FSX:SE installed, are having problems with installers still trying to find the old FSX location.

I kept my original FSX installed (and to be honest expected to have heaps of problems), and all installers I try are correctly finding the new Steam location.

Very strange!

Yeah, that's exactly what I was trying to say in long-winded post  ^-^     It seems that people who did what you did, and only have FSX:SE installed, are having problems with installers still trying to find the old FSX location.

I kept my original FSX installed (and to be honest expected to have heaps of problems), and all installers I try are correctly finding the new Steam location.

Very strange!

It is actually not strange at all...it is very normal...if all the .cfg files etc. (that are located in the user folders and ProgramData folders that are not removed with uninstall) are left behind from the old FSX install...the next install will find them :)

I think Orbx are being very responsive about this but it's interesting nonetheless to explore the workarounds while an official fix is in gestation!

By the way I did clear out the appdata folders etc. (now hidden in Windows 8.1) so it's got me stumped why it's not routing to the steam edition.

Do I (and my long suffering family) have the patience for a clean Windows reinstall over the weekend that's the question...I reckon a virgin install of fsx se and then orbx ftx would do the trick. Or I could be less obsessive and just wait...

Bought this yesterday, would be rude not to at less than £4!  No way will it substitute my current FSX/Acceleration install thats is well tuned now with ORBX software, Steves DX10 fixer and more but I'll keep my eye on how FSX_Steam develops.

Have both installed on same PC but on different drives and no problems with either after a couple of hours testing switching back and forth, thinking I might try installing my complete GeNX photo scenery volumes for UK I've been meaning to sell since switching to ORBX on FSX_Steam edition, would have the best of both worlds then.

Seems an odd choice for Dovetail to buy into though? many like me are well established FSX with Steves DX10, then there is P3DV2 ... so *almost* three versions of FSX now, wonder why they never chose MS Flight? although its pretty much a flight game it had potential and did do some things right, perhaps MS dont want to sell it just yet?

Its all good though.

It's early days yet.

We'll likely release a small app allowing you to set which FSX you install out addons to. Give us time to get this sorted please :)

Hi,

Very encouraging, and I take back all the bad things I almost said about you!  It may prove illogical in the long run but I currently like the idea of having both.

In the mean time I'm going to export the registry key which I believe is causing the problem; delete the reference to FSX leaving only FSX:SE, try to install ORBXLIBS; import the key and start FSX:SE and see the results.  I'll post either way; I just may think about this for awhile before trying this.

Jim F.

EDIT: This did not work.  I was led to believe that "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator*\10.0\" was the key to modify but when I deleted the "FSX" reference and tried to Install ORBXLIBS it still pointed to FSX.  I also tried to install a Carrenado plane but it re-installed to FSX as well.   I restored the key and all seems normal.

But did you also clean out the ProgramData/Microsoft/FSX folder?

Good point. No I didn't, but I have now and it still doesn't work. I suspect workaround upon workaround will kind of make it run eventually but in the meantime you are probably better off with a dual install. Boxed version to enjoy FTX etc. and then the Steam version to enjoy higher framerate and multiplayer.

It's interesting that FSX:SE runs sooooo much smoother than the boxed version.

I still can't get my head around why Microsoft ever dumped this title back in 2008 or whenever it was.

Like if Mercedes Benz were to abandon the SL model. Sure, not a core, high sales volume product but a key part of the company's 'spirit' nonetheless.

Dovetail were advertising for various positions relating to flight simulation so they are clearly investing heavily in this. Legal question but if MS sold the code to Lockheed Martin what part of that contract then lets them give distribution rights to a 3rd party (Dovetail) who can also make tweaks to it. They probably had to go back to Lockheed Martin and do a deal which made Lockheed happy that the Dovetail venture was not going to steal sales from them. P3D student edition though they MUST realise that a lot of non commercial, non academic simmers are buying that...

Sorry rambling on...

Dovetail were advertising for various positions relating to flight simulation so they are clearly investing heavily in this.

Rumour control kicking in here ... sorry mate, where did you get that from, PC-Pilot?

Thats just rumour monger stuff.

No way have Dovetail the capital to headhunt just now or in past, they have approached ORBX I hear and that's good news and good potential collaboration and that's a lot more than MS did with ORBX with MS Flight.

Lockheed Martin are investing in their share of code (please guys lets not make this another Avsim Lawyer simulation) and we all know how that is coming along, please don't expect miracles from FSX Steam.

I like Steam, love how my games are backed up and if I format, there they are again ... dont see this happening with Steam and our pilot records or cfg.s somehow.

This is a move in right direction though.

Thanks for link mate, was not not trying to make a fool of you or anything, but the oil company I worked for would often put up non existent jobs on their web site, but in reality there was no vacant position at all! Makes them look busy and proficient I guess?

Dovetail trade in Train simulation mainly, right? I dont have a problem with that type of Simulation, been meaning to try it actually.

For sure apart from Steam compatibility and FSX multipleyer potential (to be confirmed) There is no real bonus apart from a steal of a price to go to Steam-FSX if you like lots of add ons for old FSX.

I see lots of guys here uninstalling their current FSX (even formatting their rigs) for this and its a route to sadness IMHO, let this ver of FSX mature, let folk like ORBX, FSUIPC and more decide how it can be supported.

But please be assured, just because FSX is on Steam ... it does not make it a perfect platform to install upon, far from it, we need to look at Steam FSX for awhile before plunging in :)

You could be right they could be trying to create buzz I suppose. It's nicer to think they are invest though...

I guess some people got excited because for many fsx was getting quite glitchy on windows 8.1 and some wanted to move on from Windows 7. I was really impressed with the frame rate and speed of the new steam fsx software, it felt like a new product in some ways,

I may reinstall boxed FSX since I am already missing my ftx addons and free PNW demo...!

FSX, P3DV2 and now FSX_Steam always seem fresh on a new install :)

I tried FSX on Win8.1 and Win 7 on same system (I7 5960X @4.4GHz GTX980) and its been fine.

Lets reiterate this (unless Dovetail can chime in) there is no real difference between Dovetails MS FSX and theirs, any perceivable performance differences are just down to a new install or placebo effect.

IMHO.

Its far to early to be calling FSX Steam the Holy Grail.

::) Well, for general info, with FSX SE, I can now run with ALL graphics maxed, including aircraft self-shadows (sunlight/shadows on gauges and dash), plus ground shadows on, plus water settings at max, and getting a very smooth 60+ fps.  I never came even close to this with the boxed FSX legacy.  Seems like time to admit that FSX STEAM is vastly better for my setup.

::) Well, for general info, with FSX SE, I can now run with ALL graphics maxed, including aircraft self-shadows (sunlight/shadows on gauges and dash), plus ground shadows on, plus water settings at max, and getting a very smooth 60+ fps.  I never came even close to this with the boxed FSX legacy.  Seems like time to admit that FSX STEAM is vastly better for my setup.

OK I'm convinced, FSX _Steam is best, you win :)  Oh, and good luck with that BTW, perhaps your PC specs have improved since first try, let me guess, you've lowered them for this post :)

Seriously guys and not talking performance here, has not X-plane Steam been available for a while too? been meaning to try it.

There are NO performance tweaks in this ver of Steam and a compatible MS install.

Lets reiterate this (unless Dovetail can chime in) there is no real difference between Dovetails MS FSX and theirs, any perceivable performance differences are just down to a new install or placebo effect.

Hi,

Flat statements like this, without any factual basis like this, always bother me.  I recall reading once that Eamon De Valera once said that "Opinions are negotiable but convictions need shooting to be cured".  Not much shooting here but pointless arguments start this way.  Kind of a holy war.

My opinion.  MS discontinued Flight Simulator because it's a dead horse.  By maintaining backward compatibility the graphics engine will never be able to properly render vertical terrain.  They introduced Flight which did not have this limitation, but in order to profit from addons it was an extremely basic version that they intended to offer enhancements for and thereby further profit.

And, as subjective as this is,  FSX:SE does run smoother than FSX with equivalent settings.  I noticed deficiencies also  which may account for the difference; e.g. I didn't see any spray effects when testing a couple of seaplanes.

Jim F.

I give up.

This stuff should have been nipped in the bud IMHO, now were going to see newcomers and newbies (a good thing IMHO) say My FSX Steam is way to go ... LOL ... oh and its a bit slower with XYZ add-on, why is that?

Like starting all over again.

Can someone with authority please tell these guys, that with an exact same new system (for many of them) a Steam FSX install is exact same as a vanilla original install, they think the Steam install is better performance wise, its not.

If only it were that easy ... Lockheed Martin are spending tons on-this code and still struggling, does anyone really think Dovetail and Steam have it sorted over night?

I mean really?

Thing is we don't have to hand a technical update of EXACTLY what Dovetail did with FSX. We know the headlines ie multiplayer and windows 8.1 compatibility but they may have done more to it behind the scenes. Though maybe they would have shouted about it if that was the case.

I am going to install boxed and then compare. But I concur with poster above re moving the setting sliders to max. Never able to do that before even when boxed version was freshly installed on my current PC....

@M31

Dovetail did recompile FSX for the steam edition. That could and most probably have change performance. Tuning the compilation of a program will definitely influence performance. You are right that FSX:SE is the same as the boxed version in terms of content(except multiplayer) but no they arent 100% the same inside the package as they arent compiled against the same compiler.

Thing is we don't have to hand a technical update of EXACTLY what Dovetail did with FSX.

Yes we do.

No doubt you will look at this as Nirvana, but apart from Multiplayer added again, its nothing new and a fresh install of FSX steam needs a lot more tweaks too.

I dont even agree with the tweaks they have done, Mine and the most popular Nick Needham/Kosta ones give much better performance.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/314160/discussions/1/626329820729615790/

and here we are more impressive wise for you you to say ... just look at all those improvements :)

Microsoft Flight Simulator X: Steam Edition Change Log

The below change log represents the key changes made to FSX: Gold Edition to create FSX: Steam Edition.

General

* FSX: Steam Edition is now built using the VS2013 compiler for better optimisation and performance. (Still makes use of VS2005 libraries for backwards compatibility.)

* Updated splash, launcher and mission preview images for FSX:SE versions.

Multiplayer, networking and communications

* Gamespy networking now replaced by new Steam networking.

* Game chat now integrated with Steam chat

* Friends/Banned lists now integrated with Steam.

* Game invites now use Steam.

* Host networking defaults to a single port 6112.

* Host networking uses 27016 for Steam Master Server Browser.

* Host timeout (loss of connection to host) now 35 seconds by default (was 55).

* "Disconnected" message dialog now retained on screen for 4 mins before automatic dismissal (was 30 secs).

Steam Support

* Top Down Camera (camera view select 4) was previously bound to F12 by default which is normally used for Steam's screenshot feature. Camera View Select 4 now uses Shift+F12 by default to avoid potential clash.

Compatibility with FSX boxed

* FSX and FSX: Steam Edition co-Existence feature allows both versions to be installed on the same machine.

Default System-Setting Alterations

* Increased TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD to 4096 up from 1024

* Changed HIGHMEMFIX=1

* Increased Vertex and Index Buffers and the number of buffers.

Bugs Fixed

* Fix to particle emitter controllers which were not being updated properly.

* Fix to flush all levels of detail in terrain cache.

* Fix to Texture Composition preventing fail and crash.

* Fixed issue where player is able to reserve more slots for friends than maximum players allowed in the game.

* Fixed issue where invalid Briefing Room was presented to player when cancelling session creation.

* Fixed issue where weather text in the multiplayer briefing room is partially cut off.

* Fixed issue where no error message appears when attempting to host a session with the network adapter disabled.

* Fixed issue where there is no error message when attempting to host a session with the network cable unplugged.

* Fixed issue where host player is frozen after a collision occurs in multiplayer.

* Fixed issue where client gets dropped from a multiplayer game after they crash into the host.

* Fixed issue where the Host Options in multiplayer/ Free Flight allow a user to have a maximum of 99 player slots.

* UIAutomationCore.dll work-a-round is now supplied by default with FSX:SE. This fixes a number of crashes relating to UI interaction on 64-bit versions of Windows.

* Fixed issue where the application’s taskbar preview window displays no content on Windows 8 and above

* Prevent default colour mode for Windows 7 and above (enable automatic display composition).

* sserife.fon file now automatically supplied and loaded.

For most of the regulars here that represents a very weak FSX.cfg

But I welcome you aboard and Merry Christmas, seems like you have it all worked out, look fwd to hearing from you.

PS: any performance increase boils down to this bit ....

Default System-Setting Alterations

* Increased TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD to 4096 up from 1024

* Changed HIGHMEMFIX=1

* Increased Vertex and Index Buffers and the number of buffers.

@M31

Dovetail did recompile FSX for the steam edition. That could and most probably have change performance. Tuning the compilation of a program will definitely influence performance. You are right that FSX:SE is the same as the boxed version in terms of content(except multiplayer) but no they arent 100% the same inside the package as they arent compiled against the same compiler.

They did not recompile it (please look up the definition of recompile), they added a few tweaks that should have been there in the first place at best and most of us consider mandatory on a new FSX install.

Consider this after your sudden Christmas Steam sale you got for £4, do you really think that community's like us with, ORBX/REX4/ASN/A2A and much more had not figured out every possible conceivable tweak know to man?

Leave it out lads, your welcome here of course, but trust me, if it were that simple :)

Hey, the more you get into this the more you'll like it though, what you once considered fancy graphics can soon be enhanced 1000 fold.

Merry Christmas.

General

* FSX: Steam Edition is now built using the VS2013 compiler for better optimisation and performance. (Still makes use of VS2005 libraries for backwards compatibility.)

That is what I was speaking about. Depending on how they did this it could well explain why everyone is seeing improvement. I myself havent been using FSX for a long time, just a few months (although Ive been using flightgear for 6 years now and xplane for about a year). But I can clearly see that the exe is much improved. I have compiled tons of programs along the years to know a few tweaks makes a huge difference.

EDIT: Merry Xmas to you too ;) And to everyone else!

I give up, thats a Visual Studio update, they can call it a compiler until the sun burns out, thats all it is, it does zilch to improve this or steams FSX performance and I have it installed too as a matter of course as a Win 7 update.

Why dont they say they ship it with latest ver of DX9 too :)

Here we go folks, instant performance increase ... Visual Studio latest :)

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd831853.aspx

EDIT, it gets worse, turns out the ver in link is newer than what is supposed to ship with Steam-FSX and makes zilch performance increase in Steam or my tweaked FSX.

Hi,

Returning to the dual-installation subject of this thread.

This is not a recommendation to try something (although I may).

I have both FSX and FSX:SE installed.  I attempted to install both a Carenado aircraft and ORBXLibs to FSX:SE without success.  I was unable to point the installer to FSX:SE.  Per a suggestion of JRobinson at fsdeveloper I edited the registry key  HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\microsoft games\flight simulator\10.0 so that the Path statement pointed to the main FSX:SE folder.  I was then able to install the Carenado plane to FSX:SE.

I am considering doing something similar with ORBX products.  Now, while ORBX addons are intelligent and good looking they're something like the bully of the playground in that they don't always play nicely with others.  My concern is mainly focused on FTX Central which has a nasty habit of making changes without permission.  I realize that the Start menu entries would be effected and there are likely other changes that I'm totally unaware of that could cause problems.  But, as I don't have a lot invested in the Steam install, the idea of re-installation is not a deal breaker.

Jim F.

OK I'm convinced, FSX _Steam is best, you win :)  Oh, and good luck with that BTW, perhaps your PC specs have improved since first try, let me guess, you've lowered them for this post :)    

I did not state my PC specs, and it's rather obvious that I am referring to a straight, NO add-ons, FSX STEAM Edition installation.

Seriously guys and not talking performance here, has not X-plane Steam been available for a while too? been meaning to try it.

There are NO performance tweaks in this ver of Steam and a compatible MS install.  

Apparently wrong, but these "tweaks" may well be from a streamlined approach, because as Jim F. stated above, the seaplane water spray is missing and dirt spray as well, which do NOT interest me.  To repeat, I tested vanilla FSX SE with maxed graphics settings, including aircraft self shadows, ground scenery shadows, and water settings at max (which DO interest me): flying stock C172 over Friday Harbor KFHR (avg. 100 fps, 140+ peak fps) and take-off from Seattle KSEA (avg. 60 fps, peak 80 fps) with default traffic and unlimited fps settings.

However, I do not wish to continue this discussion with someone like you; just try FSX SE yourself, along with a major attitude adjustment.  And, since you appear to be such an expert, let's just let you huff and puff with your "opinions" while some of us get on with the new smoothness of FSX SE, whatever may be the reason. 

Have a good day and please go debate yourself.

Hi,

I have both FSX and FSX:SE installed. I attempted to install both a Carenado aircraft and ORBXLibs to FSX:SE without success. I was unable to point the installer to FSX:SE. Per a suggestion of JRobinson at fsdeveloper I edited the registry key HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\microsoft games\flight simulator\10.0 so that the Path statement pointed to the main FSX:SE folder. I was then able to install the Carenado plane to FSX:SE.

I am considering doing something similar with ORBX products. Now, while ORBX addons are intelligent and good looking they're something like the bully of the playground in that they don't always play nicely with others. My concern is mainly focused on FTX Central which has a nasty habit of making changes without permission. I realize that the Start menu entries would be effected and there are likely other changes that I'm totally unaware of that could cause problems. But, as I don't have a lot invested in the Steam install, the idea of re-installation is not a deal breaker.

Jim F.

Out of interest, what files does FTX Central modify without permission?

Hi Ben,

Terrain.cfg.  I did something that caused my terrain to have objects in inappropriate places.  I suspected terrain.cfg so I reverted to a copy that did not have the ORBX changes.  After I ran FTX Central I found the ORBX mods again in the file.  I'm not aware of any other changes.  I'm not sure but I suspect that I installed a program that was supposed to fix some terrain problems and it was incompatible with the ORBX changes.

My main concern now is with the Start menu; at one time I moved the ORBX Start menu entries to a Flight Sim folder I have on the Start menu.  After I did something with an ORBX file I found the ORBX entries had been newly added to the original location.  This might actually work to my advantage.  If I move the existing Start menu entries to an alternate location and then install ORBX to FSX:SE I might avoid a conflict.

The reason I'm not content to sit back and wait for an official fix is that I just purchased 2 regions and 2 airports and was considering one or two more items but I would like to keep a dual install and want to see if there are any problems with this.  Also, the idea of having FSX dependent on an internet connection doesn't appeal to me. Right now I'm hit with Steam spam whenever I exit . 

Jim F.

Hi,

I have both FSX and FSX:SE installed.  I attempted to install both a Carenado aircraft and ORBXLibs to FSX:SE without success.  I was unable to point the installer to FSX:SE.  Per a suggestion of JRobinson at fsdeveloper I edited the registry key  HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\microsoft games\flight simulator\10.0 so that the Path statement pointed to the main FSX:SE folder.  I was then able to install the Carenado plane to FSX:SE.

I am considering doing something similar with ORBX products.  Now, while ORBX addons are intelligent and good looking they're something like the bully of the playground in that they don't always play nicely with others.  My concern is mainly focused on FTX Central which has a nasty habit of making changes without permission.  I realize that the Start menu entries would be effected and there are likely other changes that I'm totally unaware of that could cause problems.  But, as I don't have a lot invested in the Steam install, the idea of re-installation is not a deal breaker.

Jim F.

Thank you so much. I have been looking for this for the last 2 days. Pointing this path to FSX:SE works if you have both the steam and the boxed version. Installing AU Sp4 as I write this :D

Hi Merlin,

I'd be very cautious about installing ORBX software.  I think there might be conflicts with FTX Central.  I've expressed concerns about this at the FTX FSX Steam forum.

Jim F. 

EDIT:  I posted as quickly as I could in hopes that I could head off possible problems you might have with ORBX.  If, for whatever reason, you went ahead with the install I'm certainly interested hearing your experiences!

Hi Merlin,

I'd be very cautious about installing ORBX software.  I think there might be conflicts with FTX Central.  I've expressed concerns about this at the FTX FSX Steam forum.

Jim F. 

EDIT:  I posted as quickly as I could in hopes that I could head off possible problems you might have with ORBX.  If, for whatever reason, you went ahead with the install I'm certainly interested hearing your experiences!

You are correct, there are some problems. FTX central appears ok except that it still sees the old scenery library. Not sure what to do next. It looks like the scenery library is changeable in the xml config file.

EDIT: I think I have fixed the problem. You need to edit FTXSettings.xml to point to the correct scenery lib (in this case it should be "Microsoft\FSX-SE"). There are 2 xml files both with the same name located in Orbx\scripts and Orbx\scripts\FTXCentral. At this point I only have AUS SP4 and YPEC installed and I can confirm it is working after taking a short flight around the central coast. There might be other problems arising though....

Hi Merlin,

I'll just share a couple of things.  I haven't attempted to install any ORBX scenery to FSX:SE.  I have an FTX Central on my task bar and if I right click it and then properties I see that it points to my current FSX folder.  It also shows up in the ORBX entry on the Start menu.  I believe that whenever ORBX scenery is installed and these are missing they are added anew.  I'm thinking if these could be hidden and, with the Path pointing to FSX:SE and ORBX scenery is added, any newly added entries would point to the FSX:SE folder.  If I look within the ORBX folder that's pointed to it seems that all the data therein points to what I have installed.  I think if this is the only place where the data exists I think we'd be close to a solution.  Something like a batch file that  makes the registry point to whichever FSX version is desired and the various FTX Central references switched to point to the correct version.  I'm concerned that some data might be contained in a common location outside of the FSX ORBX folder.

Per a suggestion of JRobinson I have two .reg files that can be run to easily point the Setup Path to whichever FSX version is desired.

I haven't done much more than thinking about this and looking for likely locations where data might exist but that's where I am right now.  Nothing that I've seen so far seems insoluble.

Good luck with your current install.

Jim F.

Edit: I just saw your last post and looked at the XMLs.  Glad to hear you got it working. It still seems that completely separate FTX Centrals would be the simplest solution.  As I said I've only been thinking about what to do and am anxious to hear any of your findings.  No matter how I phrase this it comes across to me that I'm somehow disagreeing with you and that's definitely not the case. My goal is to find a one click solution that selects all things FSX or all things FSX:SE.  Ideally, a no click solution would be best and maybe that's possible but I can't envision how that could be accomplished.

Hey Jim,

You sound a little confused with your FTXCentral(s). I highly suggest that you start the correct FTX central straight from the folder of your desired FSX installation. If you install Orbx scenery to FSX-SE you will now have 2 of them... Then you need to make sure to edit the 2 files (FTXSettings.xml) as I explain in my previous post. It does work for all I can see.

Also it seems as simple as keeping the reg value for HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\microsoft games\flight simulator\10.0\Setuppath pointing towards which FSX you want to run

Hi merlin,

You're right, I am confused.  Do you have multiple Start menu entries for ORBX and on the task bar as well?

Here's what I have in my FSX ORBX folder:

7MFva.jpg

Everything within this folder points to my current install.  It seems like I'd want an equivalent folder unique to the Steam version.

Jim F.

Archived