FSX:SE only, installed ~vs~ FSX:SE and Boxed FSX installed

Also, the idea of having FSX dependent on an internet connection doesn't appeal to me. Right now I'm hit with Steam spam whenever I exit . 

Jim F.

It's not dependant on an internet connection, once you've installed FSX-SE and run it once online, you can run Steam in offline mode after that.

As for being hit with "spam", it's not really spam (in the unsolicited sense), they're just showing you the latest game offers. Steam is an online games shop after all. One click turns it off, I barely notice it now.

Hi pvs,

Thanks for the reply. I have run FSX:SE online multiple times.  How do I go about running Steam in offline mode? I don't always have access to an internet connection.

Jim F.

If you try to run it with no connection, it will ask you if you want to run in offline mode.  Just disconnect from the net and try it.

Hi again pvs,

I shut down my computer disabled the internet connection, restarted and tried to run FSX:SE.  I was asked if I wanted to run offline and I replied yes and then received this notification:

4SlgX.jpg

Did I do something wrong?

Jim F.

Hi,

I have it set to log in automatically.  The link you provided seems to suggest that the client application's files have to be updated to allow offline log in but as you're not having the problem it must be something else.  I'll keep looking into it.  probably something simple I'm just overlooking.

Jim F.

I've just checked the support page again. Are you sure you've exited Steam properly before disconnecting from the net?

Note that just clicking the close button at the top right of the Steam window doesn't shut it down, it just minimises it (and removes it from the taskbar). But it's actually still running (you can find the Steam icon in the icons on the bottom right of the screen - may be hidden, e.g. in Win 7). You have to close it from there.

Apparently, if you don't shut it down properly it doesn't save the information necessary to run in offline mode.

Hi again pvs,

I didn't do that.  I'll give it a shot.

I just noticed that Steam does not seem to be running.  I'll start it and exit it properly.  I've just been shutting down the computer without regard to Steam.

Thanks, Jim F.

Edit: spell check

I've just checked the support page again. Are you sure you've exited Steam properly before disconnecting from the net?

Note that just clicking the close button at the top right of the Steam window doesn't shut it down, it just minimises it (and removes it from the taskbar). But it's actually still running (you can find the Steam icon in the icons on the bottom right of the screen - may be hidden, e.g. in Win 7). You have to close it from there.

Apparently, if you don't shut it down properly it doesn't save the information necessary to run in offline mode.

Hi again pvs,

I didn't do that.  I'll give it a shot.

I just noticed that Steam does not seem to be running.  I'll start it and exit it properly.  I've just been shutting down the computer without regard to Steam.

Thanks, Jim F.

Edit: spell check

From FSInsider..........

Since Steam is a digital platform will FSX: Steam Edition require a persistent internet connection?

At present FSX: Steam Edition will require a digital “handshake†with Steam at the start of a session. After that point you may go offline and continue your session without interruption. We recognise that many simulation fans prefer to be disconnected while they play and as such we are working towards making FSX: Steam Edition playable while operating Steam in offline mode. Please note that multiplayer will always require you to be in online mode. For further information on offline mode please visit https://support.stea...=3160-agcb-2555

tallmike1950

Oh, so it's when you try to run FSX-SE that you're getting that error message? I thought it was when you were trying to log into Steam. I haven't installed FSX in Steam yet so I haven't tried that, but offline mode works fine with other games.

Oh, so it's when you try to run FSX-SE that you're getting that error message? I thought it was when you were trying to log into Steam. I haven't installed FSX in Steam yet so I haven't tried that, but offline mode works fine with other games.

Ya, thats right...so for know the only way to run FSX SE offline is to unplug or manually disconnect the internet in windows after it is running, which is not at all appealling to me...but I believe it will be made available offline in the very near future, so I will be patient. :)

Archived