ORBX PNW Files Do Not Stay in FSX Addon Scenery

jbauzo

Hi!

I have a quick question on the PNW product. Are its libraries (ex: FTX_NA_PNW05_SCENERY) supposed to be included in the FSX Addon Scenery list?  I noticed that they were not there and I added them manually following documented procedures I found in RTMM. However, when I switch to FTX Global Hybrid mode, they seem to be removed by some process. I say this because If I were to switch back to just the NA region, they do not get included in FSX Addon Scenery. I look at the insertion point list and they are not there either. I must add that I also have PFJ and SAK and I have no problems with them. They are always included in both the FSX Addon Scenery and the insertion point list whether I switch to hybrid or not. All the examples of the FSX Addon Scenery that I have seen do have the PNW files included. This is why I wonder if I have a problem. I have looked around for an answer but have failed to find one. This may  be something obvious but I just cannot see it. Thanks in advance of your relply!

JBauzo

FSS0324870

Hi Doogles!

I appreciate your quick reply! What puzzles me is that the PFJ and JAK libraries are there and I did not place them there. It appears that the install process did. I have also seen several examples where the PNW files are included like the RTMM example for Tsongas Fjord which has them included. This is a product that I recently purchased. The insert point files list also includes the PFJ and SAK files but not the PNW files. The FTX Scenery Configuration Checker does not report any problems either. Perhaps, this is the way it works because no matter what I do, they are removed by the time I bring up FSX and look at the Addon Scenery list. I just wish I knew for sure.

Thanks so much for your reply!

Jose

FSS0324870

Jose,  All the ORBX sceneries, PFJ, SAK, PNW, for example, should have been placed (by the installer) in an ORBX folder, which in turn is located in the FSX directory.  The installation instructions clearly state that the installation will place the scenery in the ORBX folder.  That's why we're puzzled at your problem.

Good flying!

Stew

Jose

Maybe we are misunderstanding your definition of "FSX Addon Scenery list" are you talking about the Addon Scenery folder in the main FSX folder? or are you talking about the FSX scenery library? It might help if you posted a screenshot of your FSX scenery library...heres how....

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/38447-how-to-post-a-screenshot-on-the-orbx-forums/

Hi there,

each of our regions has typically four separate scenery library menu entries, like for PNW:

FTX_NA_PNW05_SCENERY

FTX_NA_PNW06_CVX

FTX_NA_PNW07_MESH

FTX_NA_PNW08_CUSTOM

These entries are added automatically by FTX Central and sorted alphanumerically within the Orbx/FTX block of entries. FTX Central gathers this information from small control files that come with each product; for PNW that would be "scenerylib_NA_PNW.cfg", in {FSX}\ORBX\Scripts. If that file gets removed or damaged then you would indeed miss those entries within your scenery library. Moreover, this process happens each time you switch FTX Central and it starts by removing all current "FTX..." entries, which explains why manually added entries get removed as well.

In short, the first thing I'd check is if "scenerylib_NA_PNW.cfg" is missing; if it is I'd recommend re-installing PNW

Cheers, Holger

Thank you Mr. Sandmann and all who helped me with this issue. Indeed, scenerylib_NA_PNW.cfg is missing but the .cfg files for PFJ and SAK are there. I had the PNW demo version and removed it to install the purchased version. Perhaps, I did something wrong then. I will proceed to re-install PNW. 

Thanks to all!

Jose

FSS0324870

There is something strange going on about the above yet.  I've run into the same problem twice in the last two days.  I started rebuilding my entire FSX installation with a fresh re-install of FSX.  Then I started installing all my ORBX sceneries beginning with FTX Global, AU SP4, then the NA ones I have (PNW, CRM, NCA).  At some point during that yesterday all my scenery areas quit being listed in the FSX Scenery Library.  Couldn't figure out what happened,  so I removed everything FTX and started over again.  Today I did the same sequence and after FTX Vector installed all my FSX Scenery Library entries disappeared for the regions again.  The only thing showing in my scenery library are the "basic" 3 open LC entries, the FTXAA_YSCH airport entry, and the ORBX Library entry at the top of it.

So, I found this thread.  I just looked in my FSX/ORBX/Scripts folder and ALL the .cfg files for AU and NA are in it (they are only 1 KB size, if that matters).  Using the FTX Central insertion tool to see what it "sees" shows all the regions listed as they should be in the scenery library.  Also using a third-party FSX Scenery Library Configuration Tool to just LOOK at the scenery library entries (not submitting any changes to it) shows all the FTX regions in the scenery.cfg file.

Something is going on now during the installation of the FTX products.  The .cfg files are in the Scripts folder, but the FSX Scenery Library isn't getting the FTX products to "stay" in it for some reason.

I'm going to go back and try re-installing the NA region and see what happens WITHOUT deleting any of the FTX stuff I've already installed.  One thing I did notice happen during all of this was that I already had an FTX Central shortcut icon on my desktop, and during the installation of one of the products it created a SECOND shortcut on my desktop.  So I deleted the first one, figuring the "new" one was the most "current" for some reason.  Don't know if that has anything to do with it.  And I can't really say right now if that is the time I lost my Scenery Library entries or not.  I just kept installing more regions until I finally wanted to fly for a bit, so installed the current ORBX Libs.  But when I went to FSX, there were no FTX regions in the Scenery Library anymore.

UPDATE:  OK, re-installing NA PNW "put" all the entries for all my regions back in the scenery library.  Then I was able to switch back and forth between Global w/Hybrid unchecked (which caused the FTX scenery library entries to "go away"), then I could select Global w/Hybrid checked or NA or AU and get the scenery library entries "put back in" the scenery library.  But that is something I couldn't do BEFORE re-installing NA PNW, so I still have to believe something in the "order" of installing different regions or Global may be causing a problem.  

Not complaining...just posting it in case it happens to somebody else too.

Falcon,

from reading your post it very apparent to me that your not following the correct proceedures for installing FTX/ORBX scenery.  One word of caution would be that DO NOT install a bunch of different scenery files one after the other without checking how the scenery looks/works in FSX.

Now for the meat of my post.  You had two GLOBAL Icons in FTX Central which you say "I deleted one".  If you had followed instruction that tell you to re-install the latest FTX Libraries after adding any scenery (including MESH, GLOBAL, VECTOR).  This would have cleared up the double Icons and probably helped with some of the self imposed problems your experiencing.

Take you time, do one thing at a time, check one thing at a time.  Throwing everything into the sim at once will get you in trouble almost everytime.

Spud,

Thanks for your reply.  First off, I never said I got 2 Global icons in FTX Central.  I said I got 2 FTX Central shortcut icons on my desktop.  Two totally different things.  But I was already familiar with the "fix" if I would have gotten 2 Global icons like you said above.  

Second, I didn't just "throw everything at once" into FSX.  I've been flight simming since my first Commodore 64, did IT in the Air Force for over 25 years, and have written many tutorials for FSX users on various forums in the past, some of which were added to Phil Taylor's own blog about FSX BY Phil Taylor himself after he read them.

I read darn near every "How to install ORBX..." post I could find here before I started the re-install of it.  I'd been away from FSX for about 2 years, so I made SURE I went back and read "everything" about installing the ORBX products.  Note that the "Frequently Asked Question" section of the forum here ("Installation Instructions for ORBX Regions") doesn't say ANYTHING about "re-start FSX after every item you install to make sure it is working properly before installing the next item".  It actually implies, "Just go ahead and "throw everything FTX you own into FSX using this order".  Yes...I knew from my own years of experience that is not the way to do it, and I didn't do that.  But that is how a "newbie" FSX/FTX user might do it, if they followed the "official" instructions there.  If you read my post above again, you should notice what happened occurred at two DIFFERENT points during my 2 installation attempts.  I wouldn't have known that if I had just "thrown everything into FSX" like you say I did.

I have a somewhat unique point of view right now.  I'm a very knowledgeable previous FSX user, but after 2 years away from it and wanting to re-install FSX and ORBX again, I came to this forum to "brush up" on how to install FTX so I wouldn't screw it up.  What I discovered is that there is a plethora of "conflicting guidance" spread all over this forum.  And the recommended "Go To" area by the ORBX team itself...the FAQ section... has a "How To Install ORBX....." thread that doesn't say anything about NOT just "throwing everything all at once into FSX".  That thread actually implies to just "throw it all in one right after another".  So even if I had done that (which I did NOT), your "criticism" of it (especially if it had been a first time brand new ORBX customer/user) would be contrary to the "instructions" provided by the ORBX team itself in the FAQ section.

I had a problem installing ORBX.  I looked in this forum for a solution.  I found this thread.  I read it.  What John recommended I check for (the Script folder .cfg files) didn't seem like "my" problem, but I re-installed NA anyhow like he told the OP to try.  It appears to have worked.  But it still doesn't explain why it happened in the first place, and as something similar had already been reported by the OP of this thread, I reported what I found too.

I wasn't complaining.  I "followed the instructions".  I reported what happened, in case there might be a problem that hasn't been identified yet by the ORBX team.  That does happen sometimes with new updates, etc.  Sometimes even the best Alpha and Beta testing doesn't catch everything.

Thank You.

Your welcome!  But the cautionary cavet about not doing multiple installations without checking wether they all work before the next is simply sound advice which I'm sure you are aware of, but as the 'guys at the store' didn't tell not to do it that way, apparently you chose to ignore it.  Can't fault you for that as its your choice to make. 

I have a releativly new install of FSX/ORBX due to purchasing a new computer in FEB after the old box destroyed itself after many years of service.   This install and the previous computer installation have exhibited zero errors on installation and running.  Never had to remove or re-install any ORBX software in all that time and never had to re-install FSX either.

I do have one ongoing problem with Objectflow at one payware airport which is still unsloved at the moment but support has made a very good effort on my behalf.  We just haven't found that tiny glitch that appeared well after the initial install worked flawlessly for months.

I'm sorry that I mis-read the "2 SHORTCUTS"  as Global ICONS which is such a common complaint in these forums and can 99.9% of the time be because the user failed to re-install the latest libraries after putting in new software.

For what its worth you might not take attempts to provide infromation that might help with your problems quite so personally.  No aspersion were made on your IT or mental apptitued.  Only trying to offer advice to a relativly new user (22 Posts) to the world of ORBX and its many ins and outs.  But fear not I will not 'offend' you any longer.

These entries are added automatically by FTX Central and sorted alphanumerically within the Orbx/FTX block of entries. FTX Central gathers this information from small control files that come with each product; for PNW that would be "scenerylib_NA_PNW.cfg", in {FSX}\ORBX\Scripts. If that file gets removed or damaged then you would indeed miss those entries within your scenery library. Moreover, this process happens each time you switch FTX Central and it starts by removing all current "FTX..." entries, which explains why manually added entries get removed as well.

Cheers, Holger

I came across this thread and am curious. 

Does FTX Central remove all FTX references from the FSX Scenery.cfg file when you select Global, inserting the necessary items only when a region is selected?  My Scenery.cfg shows all of the FTX items all active all of the time regardless of any region selected?  Also, the config files you described are present and accounted for.

Which is right?

Thanks

Rick S.

Archived