GA aircraft recommendations?

flyinion

Looking for some recommendations for really low & slow GA aircraft to use with the great ORBX regions.  I already have the Realair Lancair Legacy which is of course a pretty fast aircraft, and plan on rounding out with the upcoming turbine duke V2 for a twin.  I'm thinking something with a high wing like a C172/182/208.  I'm not sure who to go with.  Heard good things about the A2A 182 and I know Carenado has a 172 and 208 but I know some of their aircraft get better reviews than others.  

One key requirement is that I'm hoping to find as close to default FPS hit has possible so I have to turn less things down if possible if I fly over a dense city/urban area.  My system has absolutely no problems outside of those areas but low FPS impact would be nice.  Even the Legacy can have a pretty noticeable hit if in a dense area.  I know flight dynamics on any of them are going to be miles above default so I'm not too worried there, but it would be great if they have a good VC.  I tend to use 2D panels only when necessary like programming the FMC on big iron.  Oh, I'd like to avoid tail draggers if possible.  I'm not a big fan of them during taxi and having to jump to spot view to see where I'm going.  I'd consider it if it's worth it though.

If you're looking for high-wing and over the top realistic flight model and fully functional VC, than A2A hands down.  I only just two days ago finally screwed up the courage to finally install their C172 (been involved in a complete reinstall of FSX, plus fully tweak dx10 for the past week and a half)...I wasn't disappointed.  You won't be either.

A2A has the best simulations I've seen.  They've got a C172, C182, and a Piper Cherokee that are among the absolute cream of the FSX and P3D crop.  Pretty much the entire Bendix King avionics stack (minus the default GPS) is FULLY modeled, down to every last mode and feature.  Full pre-flight walk arounds are modeled and actually necessary.  If you don't fly the planes for a while the oil gets bad, birds nest in the cooling inlets, etc.  If you don't lean properly, the spark plugs foul and need to be replaced or "cleaned" (running on the ground at medium RPM and very lean mixture for a few minutes).

If you're just looking for something to putter around in, Ant's got a donate-ware DeHavilland Tiger Moth that's pretty darn good, and I love his pay-ware Eaglet.  The Eaglet's fully modeled if not to the level the A2A airplanes are, but by it's nature, it's only got about ten items on the checklist between cold and dark and flying.

Thanks guys.  I think in this case I'm not looking for the depth of the A2A planes so maybe I should pick one of the carenado planes, or.........gasp.....run something like the default C172 instead.  Seeing some good overall reviews for both of Carenado's 208's and the field performance sounds good, but I'm not sure about whether they would make a good slow cruiser since their normal cruise is around 160 or so (depending on which review you read) vs. the 120ish of the 172.

I've the A2A Cherokee and Skylane. Flying them feels really good, more real than some. If you want to skip the "depth", just unchech the damage option. The Cherokee is the slower of both (about only 40% faster than the Cub) and has an older AP which needs more attention. Good aircraft.

Yes, indeed, A2A are great and I love to fly them.... What about the Piper Cup for low and slow?

And if I may recommend a non A2A aircraft, I would say Carenado 185 Bush. Ok, not so deep simulated, but with Tundra wheels. I made some flights in the wonderful PNG AYPY area and it was fun, too.

and additionally I waiting for the Porter of Marcel Felde (Aerosoft), which also will be a good buy!

Thanks again guys, hmm that Realair package looks nice.  3 planes for $14.  Yep I might have to look at the 185 Bush if I can live with the taildragger aspect.  I don't think I can do a Cub.  I'd like to at least have GPS and autopilot capability just in case.

If the weather isn't too turbulent the Cub will basically fly itself, so barely needs an autopilot. The A2A map is pretty much like a GPS when it comes to not getting lost. I think if you plug a flight plan in to the flight planner it puts a line on the map as well. Only thing you can't do is slave it to the nonexistent AP.

But... It is a tail dragger.

Mike

There simply is nothing above and beyond the A2A offerings, if you want to fly a proper airplane, properly.

On the lighter side of things there's also a nice bush option from Flight Replicas, one of their Super Cub packages. Also fun but not necessarily bush is the Baytower RV-7 (support ceased, though).

Well, I think I'm going to go with the C185 Bush this first time around.  I think it will cover pretty much everything, low & slow, high wing, and give me some unique landing options I don't currently have like the amphibian option.  I could see that being really useful for backcountry trips.  Take off on land, land on water, or vice versa, etc.

I've been resisting this thread, but here goes.  All comments are the opinion of a relative newbie to serious FSing.  I have included product webpage and pricing purely as an aid, I am NOT advertising.  This is information in a format I wish I had had myself earlier.  I like smallish GA aircraft with good avionics and better than average viability (what is the point of Orbx scenery if you are flying deep in a pit at 100,000 feet with minimal visibility?).  All planes mentioned are planes I own and have flown in FSX.

A quick note on the A2A products.  I have the A2A c172 and pCherokee.  Probably due to my low airmanship skills, I find them unflyable.  They roll constantly and heavily to the left, or right sometimes.  I have discussed this extensively on their forums and have learned a lot about balancing and P-Factor, which reduced the problem somewhat.  However, I am unable to fly them without constant, like every 5 seconds, jerking of the yoke to correct this roll.  A2A is aware of this issue and claim it is realistic and that they don't design aircraft to 'run on rails'.  They build excellent aircraft with extensive engine modeling, but unless you are a good flyer, the aircraft are a real handful.  Proceed with caution.

1. Robin DR400/180, two seater.  This is a representation of an older, 1970's, French aircraft said to be very popular in Europe. It has great visibility and full GA avionics.  This is the bird I fly in Europe.  The interior does not look especially modern, but everything you need is right there and the plane has a strangely comfortable feeling.   Pleasant to fly, especially low down to watch the world go by.  Good documentation.    lionheartcreations.com/Robin.html $24.95

2a. Liberty Aerospace XL2, two seater.  This is a representative of a modern kit plane. Very good visibility and exceptional avionics.  It was a must by for me as it is one of the first, and few, aircraft that will support the excellent Flight 1 Garmin GTN 650 and 750 avionics.  The GTN avionics allows a newbie to manage to get from place to place before he really learns navigation.  Panel layout is exceptional, I can actually fly using the VC GPS without resorting to a popup.  Again, pleasant to fly, especially low down to watch the world go by.  Additionally distinguished by an engine with FADEC, propeller and mixture controlled by computer,  and a sound like an aggressive lawn mower. I keep coming back to this bird and it is the standard by which I compare other GA aircraft. Currently flying this bird from Tucson, AZ, USA to Alaska, for this project the GTN avionics are crucial for a newbie like me. Excellent documentation, some of the best I've seen.  eaglesoftdg.com/LibertyXL2.htm $22.95

2b. Cirrus SR22GTSX Turbo 3.0, four seater.  Slightly larger with good visibility and glass panel avionics. eaglesoftdg.com/CirrusSR22G2_G3T.htm  $31.95

3. Cruz PiperSport, two seater.  Excellent visibility and nice avionics, very modern.  However, light on instrumentation.  No VOR gauges or autopilot.  I would like to rate this higher, but there is a clever sun shield curtain on the top of the bubble canopy that I can not get to function properly.  I've talked with Alabeo support and tried what they suggest with no success.  This results in the thing sticking into my field of view and irritating me no end.  Inadequate documentation that is mostly reproduced from the real aircraft's POH without connecting with the facts related to their addon version.  But if you can get the sunscreen working, a very nice touring aircraft.  alabeo.com/index.php  $22.95

?. Victa Airtourer, two seater.  This looks very interesting and looks very promising.  It is the only aircraft on my current Maybe List.  If Orbx has included support for either or both the F1 GTN 780/650 and/or the Mindstar GNS 530/430 it moves to Insta-Buy.  http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/87868-victa-airtourer-my-last-shots/ $??.??

Hi William

Instead of worrying about a particular airplane having the avionics that you prefer, maybe checkout one or both of these..

http://www.aivlasoft.com/

http://www.fscommander.com/

I use them both and regardless of what aircraft I am flying all my newbie nonexistent navigational skills are all taken care of. They are both cannot do without items for me...:)

Thanks for the suggestions William.  Unfortunately none of those meet the requirement of wanting a high wing for great in cockpit visibility while going low & slow.

Check out Ant's Eaglet:  http://www.antsairplanes.com/eaglet.html  Cheap, well done, quick and easy to fly, but has an autopilot and GPS.  High winged, has float and wheeled versions, tricycle gear...

Thanks for the suggestions William.  Unfortunately none of those meet the requirement of wanting a high wing for great in cockpit visibility while going low & slow.

Oops, sorry.  However, I think all of the once I mentioned have the wing far enough to the rear, about shoulder level, so as not to get in the way.  Of course, if you turn your head it is there, but most of the time I'm looking in the forward arc. For some reason, I don't much like Cessnas, no idea why. And the Ant Eaglet is high wing and Ant does nice planes.  You can download the Eaglet and try it out, the demo only comes with floats, but he lets you really try out his stuff.

Thanks guys.  I ended up going with the C185F Bush from Carenado earlier.  I'll definitely be keeping some of these other suggestions in mind for adding to the hangar later on though.  That 185 is definitely a bit of an adjustment but also bring a different aspect to my hangar that I haven't really had before.  A few version of FS ago I did all the tutorials and learned how to properly hand fly small craft like the C182 that was in it at the time, but I've fallen out of how to do that and have gotten so used to just turning on the AP a few hundred feet AGL.  This will definitely get me to go back to non-tubeliner style flying lol.

I think I figured out just now that I might have to find something that has a tricycle style bush gear.  I took the tundra version of the c185 on a test flight and I really don't see how people fly taildraggers in real life unless it's easier to see where you're going vs. the sim.  I'll probably mostly be using the amphibian and float models anyway but had to check out the rest.  Other than the takeoff and landing in a taildragger aspect the actual plane was quite nice to fly though.

Taildraggers are cool just because of the take off and landing :lol: ! Its just a matter of practising really.

taxiing : you snake (not too fast to avoid overcontrol) your way to/from the runway, running wide S on the taxiway to avoid collision and/or looking for the next turn and use peripheral vision to the left to maintain your distance from the edge of the taxiway when you roll straight

landing : do, first and foremost, a good landing  (and avoid strong Xwinds with lighter aircraft), use peripheral vision to the left to maintain your distance from the edge of the runway and don't forget that you must fly a rolling aircraft until the complete stop (aileron to the wind).

Well, I found updated FDE's for the 185 Bush series.  Took the amphibian out tonight for a short hop between two fields in the mountain areas between the Sacramento Valley and the coast in NCA region tonight.  I'm now hooked on GA flying.  It was very much a VFR flight.  Shooting right between some mountain peaks "just high enough" and using the GPS only as a reference to make sure I was headed in the right direction.  No autopilot at all and the 185 handled great.  Takeoff was a bit bumpy.  It's listed as asphalt but was basically a dirt strip with asphalt line down the middle.  The amphibian wasn't too happy about it but I got her in the air.  It's the same strip I landed the Tundra version at last night.  If anyone wants to check out the trip it was 1Q5 to O09 (note that is "oh zero nine").  It was a surprisingly cool little destination in the middle of nowhere.

Archived