KPSP Intermittent FPS Drop

regis902

Hello, when flying around KPSP and the surrounding area, my FPS drop from 21 (I have it locked to 21) down to 6-7 fps every 10 seconds or so, making it very difficult to fly.  The low FPS last for 1-2 seconds and then it returns to the full 21FPS.

It seems like maybe there's textures loading or something like that?  I had the texture resolution set to 15cm.  I tried changing it to 30cm and no change.

I also tried reducing the detail range from the highest to the second highest and no change.

My other graphics settings are at or below the recommendations in the manual.

I'm running in P3D v2.4.  I have an i5 2500k o/c at 4.2 Ghz and a GTX770 with 4Gb of ram on board.

I've never seen anything like this, in any ORBX airports/areas or elsewhere...the strange part is that the FPS drop is so regularly spaced out.

Thanks for any help.

Hi regis,

I have exactly the same issue. I have locked my FPS at 25 and experience drops down to 12/13 in the same way like you do.

(see the 2nd paragraph in the first post of this topic http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/87291-kpsp-blue-screen-fatal-errors-runtime-errors-in-p3d24/  ). 

edit: as you see my system specs are very similar to yours.

Set the slider to unlimited and turn the stupid counter off.  Higher FPS does not always mean a smoother flight, look for no stuttering, not frames.

Have tried this Bruce, but it did not help. If set to unlimited, the frames drop from 40 or whatever down to 12 and after 2 seconds up to 40 again.

Set the slider to unlimited and turn the stupid counter off.  Higher FPS does not always mean a smoother flight, look for no stuttering, not frames.

That makes no sense. Of course its not going to be 'smooth' if it drops from 25 to 6-7. It will be VERY noticeable.

The OP also hasn't tried setting his slider to unlimited, like I suggested.  Since I'm averaging 50+ at PSP.......

Well, Im not having any FPS issue at KPSP either and locked at 30, but that wasnt really the point was it?

Hello, thanks for your responses

I tried setting it to unlimited with no improvement.  I am still running at my locked FPS most of the time, just dropping every ten seconds or so (and always down to 6.8-7.1fps), so I don't think it's a typical FPS issue.

Through some trial and error, i was able to stop the regular FPS drops by dropping my scenery density settings to sparse.  Once I set them above that, the issue returned (Wolfgang, maybe you could try that and see what happens for you?)

I'm thinking there must be some piece of scenery that doesn't agree with my setup causing the issue and that piece of scenery gets turned off at sparse and below...any thoughts from the ORBX team on what happens at sparse and below?  One item I noticed that goes away at sparse and below is the huge windfarms in the area...I could imagine that all those detailed blades (moving?) could be an issue?

Forgot to mention that I'm running Global 1.3, no vector.

Thanks,

Dave

We have extensively tested KPSP on multiple systems, even lower end systems and did not encounter this effect, so I assume that there is some other software on your system that could be causing this effect

Hi Wolter,

as I have stated in post #3 I have exactly the same issue. And as posted in the topic i have linked ( http://www.orbxsyste...rrors-in-p3d24/), these FPS drops eventually lead to a fatal error. This happened already 3 times again after I had posted the support issue.

And since this only happens in the KPSP scenery area the reason must be connected to KPSP. After flying out of the area, everything is fine again.

My sys specs are very similar to those of the OP.

Hello, some more observations from troubleshooting tonight:

- I've tried disabling everything I can in the KPSP control panel one by one - nothing fixed the issue

- It remains that the only way to stop the regular FPS drops is to reduce the scenery density setting to sparse

- I noticed that when the scenery density is reduced to sparse most of the airport buildings are removed. 

- I noticed that the issue seems more frequent while the aircraft is in motion, especially along the runway.

- Based on the two above points I have to wonder if something about those buildings is being reloaded as I move toward them and away from them, ie is this related to different LOD's loading for the buildings? (I'm no scenery designer so I'm grasping at straws based on what I observe)

- I tried taking off from KPSP in FSX as well.  Although the scale of the FPS drop was different due to my settings in FSX, I observed the same effect within FSX (dropping from about 45 down to 19-20 in this case).

Thanks,

Dave

Hi guys,

I recently experienced a decrease of performance as described in the OP with P3D2. After investigating in sofwares and tweaking following LM's tuning guide, the problem still occurred frequently. I made a deep scan with my antivirus. It found some malwares !

Once removed, the rig works fine and non stutters. So make a deep scan. Normal scan detected nothing

Hi guys,

I recently experienced a decrease of performance as described in the OP with P3D2. After investigating in sofwares and tweaking following LM's tuning guide, the problem still occurred frequently. I made a deep scan with my antivirus. It found some malwares !

Once removed, the rig works fine and non stutters. So make a deep scan. Normal scan detected nothing

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the hint. I'll do a deep scan tonight. But If malware is the reason for the FPS drops, shouldn't then drop the performance everywhere and not just at KPSP?

In fact KPSP is a special scenery with lots of details and moving items from ORBX flow technologies. Malwares can indeed disturb because they monopolize some amount of CPU charge instead of allocating them to Flow. This is just a way for investigation

Hello,

A specific aircraft maybe, or a system like weather radar?

I have tried a variety of default and payware aircraft to ensure it's not tied to any one aircraft.  I've also tried with and without ASN weather running.

Hi guys,

I have done a complete scan recently that didn't turn anything up...maybe I'll run it again overnight tonight if another fix isn't apparent by then.

Aren't consistent dips in framerates caused by the sim searching for specific textures and not finding them?

That does sound familiar to me.  I re-downloaded the installer and reinstalled in case any files got missed during my first install but this did not fix the issue.  Is there anyway to debug or view a log file of texture files that may be getting called but don't exist?

Thanks,

Dave

Dave, the scenario you described, when rolling down the runway, is very familiar to me.

As I stated in my other topic  re. the same issue, I very often have  these FPS drops then  eventually followed by by fatal errors, even one blue screen so far (and 2 or 3 times a runtime errors upon exit)after flying in the KPSP scenery for around 10 – 15 minutes. Have you also suffered crashes when flying within the area for a bit longer than just doing short testing hops?

Especially these runtime errors are thought-provoking. I never had runtime errors with any flight sim before.

Hello, regarding missing textures, I came across these entries that can be used in prepar3d.cfg/fsx.cfg:

// Alert for missing textures
ShowMissingTextureAlert=1

// Alert for missing objects
MissingLibraryAlert=1

They did not turn up any missing textures/objects.  This is my first time using them so I'm not sure if I needed to do anything except put them in the cfg file and wait for messages, but if that's the case no error messages were generated.

Have you also suffered crashes when flying within the area for a bit longer than just doing short testing hops?

Especially these runtime errors are thought-provoking. I never had runtime errors with any flight sim before.

I haven't, the longest I've spent in the area at one time was probably 10 minutes or so on approach from KPHX.  Other than that I can't really bear to fly in the area as the FPS drops make my aircraft virtually unflyable.  It's like all of my control inputs during the low FPS period are saved up and then applied all at once after the FPS return to normal, so controlling my aircraft is frustrating and near impossible.

Also Make sure to have installed latest ORBX libs. If not, just make it again

Yes, I've reinstalled the latest both times.

Thanks

Unfortunately I'm running into similar FPS issues at KPSP.  I've done all the usual diagnostics (empty out my DLL.XML except ObjectFlow.DLL), empty out my (EXE.XML), turn off all KPSP settings, re-index scenery, uninstall and re-install, etc. etc. 

Even went back to 344.11 drivers since I know those are a good set and can validate relative differences.

I seem to be stuck at 23 fps (locked at 30 fps) ... given the remote location I wasn't expecting to see such a hit in FPS ... (tried several different aircraft also).  In comparison, Copenhagen airport/scenery produces 30 fps locked and it's a considerably more complex and congested airport.

I'll keep plugging away to see if I can pinpoint the issue ... any hints welcome.

Cheers, Rob.

Rob, when turning off all KPSP settings I get my steady 25 FPS (locked at 25). But when unlocking FPS they are are jumping up and down between 30 and 40, with highs and lows of 70 and 20 (so even lower than when locked).

I tried loading up a chopper at helicopter pad #2 tonight and I had no FPS drops while on the ground, no matter how much I panned around.  It wasn't until I took off and starting flying roughly south that the FPS drops started...it almost seemed that they began and continued once the terminal building was in view?

In any event, it would seem that I was "shielded" from whatever is causing the issue while on helicopter pad #2.

One thing I noticed is that if I slew into the terminal building there is a heck of a lot of detail inside.  Another oddity I ran into, I hit the push back keys (Shift + p) and my A320 moved forward into the terminal.  Don't know if that's a clue?

I'll keep digging but so far no fps love.

Cheers, Rob.

Hi guys,

This stuttering is a very odd issue, as none of us reported or found any similar issue on either platform (and with many hours of flying into/out of the airport). Some notes from my end that should provide some answers (and each will make a big difference if they are an issue for you):

1. Make sure you have installed the latest ORBXlibs - if you don't, you will not have any autogen vegetation in the majority of the coverage area. If this is the case, the sim will be continually trying to look for non-existent autogen entries, which will likely cause stutters or CTDs over prolonged flying. Info on this can be found here

2. Switch off (totally) any AI aircraft to test. The loading radius for AI aircraft dictates that most of the major LA basin airports (particularly LAX) will spawn AI traffic somewhere within the KPSP coverage area. If you are using addon AI programs, this means loading 100+ AI aircraft into the sim in real-time every time you cross this radius threshold - and as such a major (albeit short-lived) stutter will happen every time you cross over. This is not only limited to addon AI programs - if you use default traffic (both FSX, but particularly P3D2) this will also be an issue, as the default traffic bgls call on un-optimised default aircraft which can drain resources.

3. Always test with a clean FSX.cfg - performance mods can often lead to inconsistent results, so to check it is always worth running a "clean" setup of FSX/P3D when troubleshooting.

Cheers,

Jarrad

Thanks Jarrad, I renamed my prepar3d.cfg file and let it build a new one and that seems to have fixed the issue.  Honestly I'm a bit ashamed I didn't think to do that beforehand!  As a check I loaded my orbx-specific display settings and the stuttering returned.  They went away when I re-enabled the default display settings so it must be something in my display settings.  Now to do some troubleshooting and figure out what the culprit was...

I've done some troubleshooting tonight and narrowed it down to what was causing my issue.  Turning building reflections and building shadows off seems to have solved the problem, so whatever was causing the "pauses" or FPS drop was tied into that.

Time to go enjoy PSP!

Archived