FTX windsocks not functioning properly

mikegust

It makes me wonder.
We are spending lots of time on improving cute little houses, where actual aviation aids, of which windsocks  are  essential are not functioning properly
I have published about that a few months ago and I've seen other posts on the same subject, but every library update I hope for this to be resolved, and - NOTHING.
please look at the picture and test it , it happens in many locations that sock is showing opposite direction of the actual wind
the picture shows fsx with default weather at KMSO and default windsock is showing correct direction.
please fix it
TH
mike

SOCK_2445.jpg

I insist that we stay focused.

I am not making new airports and putting FTX windsocks in it

I want all this windsocks in my FTX products functioning correctly .

I am not talking of me going in and changing it.

I thing FTX needs to correct this on the global scale in all of the products and all the areas that they have published.

I own lots of areas of the world that you can see on the list and in all these areas windsocks are working incorrectly.

mike

Alex

I have encountered this problem in many many locations

here are two prominent; at KMSO sock is showing opposite direction, KSEA often it vibrates and shivers. flips around.

I also noticed that when Active Sky is running and wind changes FTX socks seem to stay without shifting around so maybe you guys need to consult with the Active Sky guys since many people are using Weather software.

That is the best I can do

I really don't have the time to make the full  research of locations

it could also be that I am the only one having this problem and it is connected to my system

Hi Mike,

would you kindly refrain from posting with a large font, in forum etiquette it is considered as shouting, hence I have edited your post

Volter

pleas set up the forum to work only with one font

I have bed vision and made font bigger to see better - sorry

mike

• 4 weeks later...

A similar issue (windsocks pointing in the opposite direction) has recently surfaced with the new version of KHQM, and I know Tim Harris is looking into it.

There's also a problem with windsocks not working in Prepar3D v2. While the two issues are not related (the P3D issue is entirely Lockheed Martin's fault as they removed some backward compatibility), it is likely that Orbx will need to come up with an entirely new solution that works on both platforms.

I'm trying to be patient, but I do agree with you that working windsocks are rather more important than a lot of the "eye candy" features. Tim and Alex have been very helpful in explaining the difficulties, but I'd also like to get some reassurance that this area is being taken seriously and worked on...

Tym

I always thought that FTX is catering to low and slow type of flyers, that translates to two crucial aviation navigation aids that are not functioning properly that is windsocks and airport beacons

how can it be that these essential aviation instruments are not being repaired and properly functioning

you would think that we would start with highly functioning an excellent instrumentation and navigation aids first, and then we will put flowers, horses and dogs in the scenery

mike

Hi Folks,

I just went and checked the windsocks at KMSO and they are indeed installed incorrectly.  We will correct this at the next update.  There are definite rules for installing our windsock and when correctly installed they will show both direction and windspeed.

Cheers, Neil

I find most of the windsocks are incorrect where I have visited mainly NRM and PNW. Practically all I would say. Using P3D 2.3.

I thought it was a P3D issue? I use shift z to get the wind, cheater!

Cheers

Hi Folks,

Try this objects file at KMSO.  It should replace the file of the same name at: ORBX/FTX_NA/FTX_NA_NRM05_SCENERY/Scenery.  The file will need to be unzipped.

I've corrected the windsocks so they will accurately give wind direction.  I also changed to the solid orange typical of U.S. windsocks.

Cheers, Neil

FTX_NRM_objects_KMSO_PLC.zip

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I feel a little uncomfortable.

Am I the only one noticing that?

Or maybe it's my system.

Please community, let me know, since FTX people are busy doing something else.

mike

No, you are not alone Mike. And I think you are making very valid points.

It'll get fixed in the next release. I found the problem.

Todd

Orbxlibs 141207 are out ;

"Changes:
New autogen descriptions
New StaticFlow
Norway objects
Updated region control files for cross compatibility"

nothing about windsocks Todd (?)

AK66
It is quite funny to see the smoke from the cabin pointing in a correct direction of the wind and the sock in opposite.

Keeping the subject fresh, till  it is fixed.

mike

Windsock fixes won't come with library updates, it has to be done through patches for the regions or airports. If the model is rotated 180 degrees, all of the airports that were correct will now be incorrect, so changes are done to the model placement.

I have the problem with windsocks in all my P3D regions as well. This is quite serious, and I'm sure Orbx are working on it together with LM to get this solved. It's such an immensely important thing for preparation for takeoff and landing to check the wind. :-)

None of our windsocks work in Prepar3D at the moment, except for custom ObjectFlow socks at payware airports. A solution for replacing windsocks with native Prepar3D models around regions is high priority and we are communicating with Lockheed about it.

None of our windsocks work in Prepar3D at the moment, except for custom ObjectFlow socks at payware airports. A solution for replacing windsocks with native Prepar3D models around regions is high priority and we are communicating with Lockheed about it.

Good to hear! :-) I feel a little naughty when taking off without having a working windsock. I get the same feeling when I take off without doing a runup. 

Windsock fixes won't come with library updates, it has to be done through patches for the regions or airports. If the model is rotated 180 degrees, all of the airports that were correct will now be incorrect, so changes are done to the model placement.

"all of the airports that were correct" (?)

Alex

Reading your post logically, it suggests that some people were already aware of the problem in the past.

That seems to be almost impossible, that such a crucial problem has been overlooked.

I'm finding literally dozens of locations that windsock is not working properly.

How can that not be a priority of all ?

In real life it is used all the time on short final you have to look at the windsock because conditions can change quite quickly.

I find myself constantly making a mistake of relying on the windsock in ORBX -FSX  world, overfly looking at the windsock and deciding on my runway on non-controlled fields, without weather station that is the only way to do it in the simulator since there are no other possible indicators, except some smokes.

Default windsock works perfectly fine, and can be relied on.

I still cannot quite believe that this is not put in front of all other projects and this is not a problem for all the pilots.(?) How can anybody land safely on uncontrolled field without relying on windsock ?

It needs to be repaired soon as major priority.

I do realize that majority of digital flyers are flying very high and coming to big airports, where this issue is not a factor since the controller  is giving up-to-date information, but in my understanding ORBX is creating very detail visual world, very much suit it for small general aviation operations.

For those who fly at 30,000 feet all the roads and bridges and other visual navigation aids are not important, so it suggests that ORBX is thinking off the VFR flyer, and for that reason I really think we need to fix it and fix it soon

happy landings (down wind AAAAAA)

mike

Another example - KAVL

What I meant is that if we correct the problem through the libraries, by editing the model and rotating it 180 degrees, that will apply to every single airport across every region and some payware airports. Not every airport has a reversed windsock, but if we correct the socks in the library then all of those airports will now be wrong which doesn't do much to resolve the issue since there will still be a significant portion of airports with reversed socks.

I've logged a note in the back end for this issue to be revisited. Solutions are being explored to efficiently patch airports, unfortunately it is an enormous task. If each airport is to be checked for a reversed windsock that means there are 2500 to sift through and correct. So if each airport takes 5 minutes to look through (low estimate) we're looking at roughly a month in paid man-hours. The current idea is to wait until the new version of FTX Central is released at which point we can release small patches and individual airports can be patched as they are noted. 

Archived