A different way of flying

Benny

I have been doing Radio Control flying... all my life. But the technology is advancing very fast lately.

Since mini cam came I have been doing some filming for fun, someday I fully know that I would jump the fence with that:

fatshark-fpv-kit.jpg

So 2 days ago I did my first full flight. The transition between looking at the plane and being in it went well. Thanks to the simulator and real flying experience. I was told to sit down  but I felt fine standing up. I didn't fly to far and stayed around the field that I know perfectly. Yes they can be good as far as 1km.

so I offer you my first video, it's not HD because the included cam is not that great. I put the goggle just after the hand trow.

>http://youtu.be/K_VAYPwKKfE

Ben

Was on the news here today in the US that a lady was changing clothes and outside her window was a drone with a camera. They tracked it to the owner and he said they weren't doing anything inappropriate. Officials grounded his drone. Guess investigation is still ongoing.

I've flown RC for over 10 years.. But have had a break from it for a year.. Never seen this technology before ..it's obviously very cool indeed.

But I fly big warbirds that I loving build with retracts etc.....and if I used this I would never see them fly !!!

As cool as it is I will stick to watching my warbirds tear around the circuit

stu

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Was on the news here today in the US that a lady was changing clothes and outside her window was a drone with a camera. They tracked it to the owner and he said they weren't doing anything inappropriate. Officials grounded his drone. Guess investigation is still ongoing.

This is the typical kind of knuckle headed A##hole that will cause restrictions so tight that you will wind up with a very expensive flying paper weight if you buy one. 

The Australian rules regarding FPV flight are in a word ANAL.  I recently had the opportunity to fly a LARGE scale R/C Aircraft with tracking camera (ie where I looked was where the camera looked) and OSD, in 2 hours I flew took off and landed  right on the Piano Keys repeatedly and flew a very precise course at distances of more than was allowed as per the regulations to prove that a competent Pilot did not strictly need an second ground based for safety.

Wherever I looked was where the camera pointed and I could judge easily  obstacles and other Aircraft in the circuit area when I returned to the strip, overflying and looking and then establishing X Wind, Downwind, Base and final , costantly setting down on the keys.  I will defy anyone but a very experienced ground based R/C Pilot to even come close. Admitedly I fly for real so that likely gives me a big advantage. but honestly FPV rules NEED to be draged kicking and screaming into the real world !!

Be interestin to see where this goes, there are a lot of privacy issues being discussed over these than ther is the guy in the UK prosecuted for flying one in restricted air space. Technology is getting scary.

Well guys I fully understand and respect privacy. In this vid there is nothing special apart, I hope, some nice country side image of my country.

As for drone, or better called quad copter (no matter how many engine on it), it's a more touchy situation. For now, and not for long you still need to be an RC pilot to fly them properly, but the day that they will fly alone is near, wrong, it's here. The Parrot wifi is now equipped with GPS and it's a simple point on the phone where to go and it will fly there (Android - Iphone).

This is the same problem as Google map FPV view...  an airplane flying low...

This is a common sense thing, like anything in life. Sadly some people are scared of being scared.... and some quad pilot will push the envelope and fly where they should not. Law will be made against quad even not equipped with a camera.

Now, that said, take a look at a very dangerous and stupid add form Parrot AR Drone where the guys is flying a WIFI drone with limited range and poor control near the face of a child and a girl and over and close to people....

>http://youtu.be/Ze84IaSnKFs

That said, now I own 4 quad copter, 2 equipped with GPS, auto stability and return home function. both big one can carry a camera on a auto leveling gimbals.

There is NO official law in Canada about them for now.... but our local FPV forum is VERY sticked about not publishing video filmed  over people, town or city. We make or own decent rules.

Ben

Archived