Flying the DC3 in FSX

Johncc

The big taildraggers are best controlled on the ground  with a combination of differential throttle and brakes.

A set of rudder pedals with toe brakes is a must.for controlling these bad girls.

What DC3 are you flying?  

I am flying the millitary surplus one. Thanks for the toe brake tip. But the pilots notes stronly recomend not using to often. I have two sets of throttles so yes I can use differential engines. As for tail wheel lock. As anybody noticed that it says pull for lock but actually it works the other way around. I really do intend to master this girl so any advice is helpful

John

Actually the correct proceedure for tailwheel use is to unlock the tail wheel for turns only.  Once your turned to the heading you want lock the tailwheel which will help keep the A/C moving in a straigh line.  Yep in can be a lot of locking and unlocking but that is what the co-pilot is handy for.  Based on hours flying the R4D-8 while in the Navy.

DC-3, C-47, R4D always make wheel landings as 3 point landings will cause major floating if you raise the nose with that flat bottom in ground effect.  Once the tail comes down and your slowed to taxi speed you unlock the tailwheel to turn off the R/W.

I have been flying the DC-3's and C-47's by Manfred Jahn for some time.  Am using CH Products yoke and rudder pedals, and am able to taxi without difficulty.  Normally just leave the tailwheel unlocked, but it was helpful reading the comments by spud above.

I have been flying the DC-3's and C-47's by Manfred Jahn for some time.  Am using CH Products yoke and rudder pedals, and am able to taxi without difficulty.  Normally just leave the tailwheel unlocked, but it was helpful reading the comments by spud above.

Do you have a download link for those birds? I've been unable to find them for myself :(.

Do you have a download link for those birds? I've been unable to find them for myself :(.

It's over at Sim Outhouse (hopefully that's ok to post here). It's great to fly. Look up the sound pack too. Lots of cool repaints available as well. Highly recommend freeware. 

That is the right link for this aircraft.  Also SOH Combat Flight Center.   I highly recommend the TW Radial Twin Sound Package V3 from SOH.  Took awhile to get the hang of starting the engines, especially letting the prop blades turn until nine blades had turned over, but really a neat effect.  With my ButtKicker going, this is really a fun plane to fly.

The big taildraggers are best controlled on the ground  with a combination of differential throttle and brakes.

A set of rudder pedals with toe brakes is a must.for controlling these bad girls.

What DC3 are you flying?

This is a common problem even with the B-17. I agree; I operate usually with differential brakes (I chose numerical keyboard "*" and "-"). Of course the best - and expensive - way of all would be to buy a 4 ways throttle control.

Is there anbody else out there that fies the DC3 on FSX. If so how are you getting on. I have probs taxing and keeping in a staight line on the runway.

John

Hi John. The way this conversation's gone I thought I would take the opportunity to direct you to my DC-2 video, which specifically addresses taxiing and crosswind operations. Much of the info presented here came from DC-3 pilot reports, but also from the book North Star Over my Shoulder by Bob Buck.

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bN-YhiNdchs

Hi John. The way this conversation's gone I thought I would take the opportunity to direct you to my DC-2 video, which specifically addresses taxiing and crosswind operations. Much of the info presented here came from DC-3 pilot reports, but also from the book North Star Over my Shoulder by Bob Buck.

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bN-YhiNdchs

Thanks for the video Mark, I found it very informative.

Thanks for all the advice so far. I can now taxi at Humberside airport and today flew to shcipol and landed ok. All be it on the wrong runway this is due to the graphics. Can't wait till my Global disc comes. Also using all the advice off of here from you guys I managed to taxi to parking at Shcipol. I have found though that I can not taxi properly in cockpit veiw so hav to go to looking at the rear of aircraft. Once again thanks

John

I fly the famous MAAM Dc-3 group....Payware from a fine organization.  It's old school without modern radios and I have it working in FS9, FSX and P3Dv2.2  You can fly the "beam" just like in the 40's or you can use the more modern VOR and ADF.  Agree with the posts above, you will have to have two throttles and rudder peddles.  Jahn's freeware has a modern panel, but a vintage one is in the works and the Flight 1 DC-2 flys well but IMO a bit clunky.  Great airplane, and a couple of VA's specialize in the DC-3....be sure and get a custom sound package and head to the sky!  Good luck

Archived