NZQN runway textures artefact

jorvik

Recently installed NZQN, which looks great except for issue with runway surface textures.  On approach or looking back after takeoff, surface of main runway is replaced by a "rolling carpet"  blackness, which does not spill over to the adjacent grass.  One plane has landed, runway surface looks fine and there are no elevation anomalies which I can see.  I did an airport scan and the only NZQN file which turns up is in scenery/world/scenery:  ADE_FTX_NZSI_ NZQN elevation _ adjustment.bgl.

Any idea why the runway surface is so unstable?

Thanks.

Jorvik

Hi ftp2leta:

I have both of the NZSI service patches installed.  My computer is fairly high end and I do not see this problem with other airports, including  Orbx's Canberra scenery. 

Also, I have just come across a thread (entitled NZQN, #6473), still active since September 2013, with several  reports of runway texture issues with NZQN. One of characterizations, by Adam_NZ, is ".. ..weird popping through problems...runways keep redrawing themselves...like an old photoreal vs objects problem..." 

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

jorvik

Hi again, I would reinstall.

Remove this way

There is a few issue with NZQN: Elevation, texture, fuzzy looking runway and black building problem.

It look like the only one who can fix those is Martin, the creator. It's the way it work at ORBX. It look like Martin has been busy with private stuff for a wile.

also, the NZ south patch is messing up the airport installation if done last. That was my problem.

Ben

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

They know. But again it look like Martin (the creator) is the one that could fix those issue. It's the way ORBX work. Designer are the one that can change stuff.

The black building is bugging me and it's no loading problem.

Still, it's a beautiful airport.

Ben

But again it look like Martin (the creator) is the one that could fix those issue. It's the way ORBX work.

This would be perfectly OK if NZQN was a freeware addon.

But a payware airport with issues like this

nzqn_blurry26sgn.jpg

is unacceptable!

Since this is the only airport worldwide with those dreaded blurries, I can't believe it's caused by my setup, which is quite contemporary:

AMD 4300 quad-core @ 3.8 GHz

4096 MB RAM

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti (2 GB RAM),

1680x1050

Win7 64Bit

Seems to me like the MIP-maps of the runway textures cause those problems, as I've seen this on aircraft textures with MIP-maps as well. Easy to switch those off, but the NZQN runway textures are hard to detect...

I do love ORBX NZNI and NZSI, but this is very disappointing!

Cheers,

Markus.

Welcome Marcus.

I don't have that issue at all.  Mine where elevation problems and a few black building.

Some (I hope) will chip in regard of this horrible screen shot.

Ben

I do sincerely hope, mate!

Just to point out that Queenstown (as already known to ORBX for a while) ist the only airport with those nasty textures, here's a shot from Milford Sound (enhanced NZSI version) with an Islander repaint I'm currently working on:

nzmfxrs4m.jpg

See?

Crystal clear textures with no blurries at all.

So don't blame it on my rig...

Cheers,

Markus.

Hi Markus,

not sure what to say other than that it's not what NZQN looks like at all; see my screenhot below. In fact, the only way for me to get the runway to display somewhat blurry is if I drop the "Global texture resolution" slider from its recommended position of "very high". You may want to re-check your display settings.

Also, there are a couple of Ben's (ftp2leta) videos on the product page that show that there are no unusual issues with blurries at NZQN meaning it's not just static screenshots that are crisp : http://www.fullterrain.com/product_nzqn.html

Cheers, Holger

post-375-0-60489100-1405106833_thumb.jpg

Holger is a guru here, if he can't help you not many will. I would highly suggest to properly un-install and re-install.  Do it ORBX way, I think it's stated on this thread. It did solve a few problem for me. It had to do with NZ south patch. there seem to be an order of installing.

Patch first and airport last. Do you have the NZ south patch installed?

Keep it cool, I can feel your frustration and it's fully understandable.

Cheers, Ben

Hi Markus,

not sure what to say other than that it's not what NZQN looks like at all; see my screenhot below. In fact, the only way for me to get the runway to display somewhat blurry is if I drop the "Global texture resolution" slider from its recommended position of "very high". You may want to re-check your display settings.

Also, there are a couple of Ben's (ftp2leta) videos on the product page that show that there are no unusual issues with blurries at NZQN meaning it's not just static screenshots that are crisp : http://www.fullterrain.com/product_nzqn.html

Cheers, Holger

Hi, Holger!

First of all, please excuse my harsh choice of words in my posting above.

I am very grateful you take over this issue, and I might take the opportunity to thank you for all the amazing sceneries you've given to the community. Before I've discovered New Zealand as the flight destination of my dreams, I've spent months of sheer admiration above your Glacier Bay, Misty and Tongass Fjords in FS9!

I still can't believe it's my FSX settings causing this problem:

settings2csle.jpg

As you can see, the global texture resolution ("Globale Strukturauflösung" in the German UI) is already set to "very high" and the scenery settings are equal to those recommended in the NZQN user guide (page 12). On page 14 of this user guide, the texture resolution ("Strukturauflösung") is recommended to be set to 7 cm instead of 30 cm, but that didn't change a thing:

nzqn_blurry2cvsmc.jpg

So it seems like all I could do is to wait for Martin to take over.

Considering the number of users encountering this issue, I think it would be a nice gesture from ORBX to acknowledge that this scenery urgently needs an overhaul...

Holger is a guru here, if he can't help you not many will. I would highly suggest to properly un-install and re-install.  Do it ORBX way, I think it's stated on this thread. It did solve a few problem for me. It had to do with NZ south patch. there seem to be an order of installing.

Patch first and airport last. Do you have the NZ south patch installed?

Keep it cool, I can feel your frustration and it's fully understandable.

Cheers, Ben

Well, I haven't encoutered any elevation issues and NZQN was installed after NZNI and NZSI, which is of course already patched:

FTX AA ORBX LIBRARIES VER 130909 9th September 2013

FTX GLOBAL EDBH BARTH AIRPORT VERSION 1.00 - February 2014

FTX NA KHQM BOWERMAN AIRPORT VERSION 1.0

FTX NA PFJ Pacific Fjords V1.1 Patch 004 April 2014

FTX NA PNW PACIFIC NORTHWEST DEMO V2.00

FTX NZ NZNI New Zealand North Island V1.0 July 2012

FTX NZ NZQN QUEENSTOWN INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT VERSION 1.0 - September 2013

FTX NZ NZSI New Zealand South Island V1.0 PATCH 002 December 2012

Proirity is as it should:

ftxsceneryj1sbn.jpg

I can't figure out what a re-installation could do about it....

Cheers,

Markus.

Hello Markus,

thanks for the kind words, much appreciated.

Looks like your display settings are as they should be. As I mentioned in my first post it seemed unlikely that "global texture resolution" was the culprit as even at full left the runway didn't get nearly as blurry as it is for you.

Still, the fact remains that the airport displays perfectly fine for me, Ben, and probably most other users. Not surprising, really, because neither Martin not Orbx would give the go-ahead to release an airport with a runway that displays as in your screenshot. And if we can't replicate the issue then what exactly are we supposed to "overhaul"?

I wouldn't necessarily discount a reinstallation as a fix. I know that there are some tools out there, like "Addon Converter X", that make wholesale changes to scenery textures in the name of sharpening display or fps improvements. If you've never used any tools like that then you're probably OK though. 

Something else to consider would be display driver and its settings. It looks like the runway texture's lower mipmaps are displayed much sooner than they should be in the mid-distance. The same actually seems to be true for the adjacent landclass ground textures (notice they are sharper in my screenshot, and I'm not using any LOD or other .cfg tweaks), which indicates that something prevents the higher mipmaps from displaying as far out as they should.

Unfortunately, I'm no expert on setting up display drivers and their parameters so this might be a question for our general forums or even other flightsim forums; or perhaps others with more experience in this field can pitch in her.

Cheers, Holger

Hi Markus

Regarding the mipping and driver settings, like Holger says you're having issues displaying texture into the distance, I see it in your Milford Sound picture also (the markings at Milford are crisp as they are vector based markings, while at Queenstown they are painted onto the surface so the effect will be much more prominent)

In the Nvidia GPU control panel make sure you have Anisotropic filtering set to x16, and in FSX settings set 'Anisotropic' for the filtering also

Hi Markus

Regarding the mipping and driver settings, like Holger says you're having issues displaying texture into the distance, I see it in your Milford Sound picture also (the markings at Milford are crisp as they are vector based markings, while at Queenstown they are painted onto the surface so the effect will be much more prominent)

In the Nvidia GPU control panel make sure you have Anisotropic filtering set to x16, and in FSX settings set 'Anisotropic' for the filtering also

That did it!

nzqn_sharp1dba08.jpg

nzqn_sharp2tfzzi.jpg

Anisotropic set to 16x!

Thanks a ton!

Although this turned out not to be a development "bug" but a "feature", in my eyes the question remains why Queenie is the only place this odd behavior happened (not only on my system).

I do understand that it's always hard for scenery creators to find the perfect balance between detail and performance.

But a scenery demanding the highest-possible setting on one specific item (such as the level of anisotropic filtering in this case) appears to be out of the perfect balance, don't you think?

Queenstown actually doesn't need an overhaul, I agree.

But you might consider adjusting the balance for future developments.

Finally, I'd highly recommend adding this issue to the NZQN Specific Tuning Notes (page 4 of the manual).

Thank you, guys!

Now I'm a satisfied customer! ::)

Kind regards,

Markus.

Goodo!

16x Anisotropic filtering is a standard setting for flight simming, esp for photoreal based sceneries, I agree it should probably be in the manual though

This happens on Queenstown as its one of the few orbx airports that have a unique painted surface

Marty's (NZQN developer) taking an extended holiday from simming at present to focus on real life issues, I do not know when/if he'll return

That's the thing with those unique features:

They can easily be misunderstood... ;D

But after all, I'm glad you're trying to push the limits:

I've just purchased Ketchikan, and its unique sloped taxiway, taken a little too fast with my Beaver, forced me to buy a new propeller and gear ::) !

Please keep up your outstanding work, gentlemen!

Cheers,

Markus.

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Archived