I cannot believe reading these posts

Rene Billiani

Gents,

reading these chatters and complaints I have the impression that many of you have not realized the core content of this product!

Posts like "I have flown around my house but I cannot see my pool or garage" would be obsolete if you have red the description of the product:

OVERVIEW
FS Global Vector is a worldwide Vector scenery. Vector scenery will bring you coastlines, streets, lakes, rivers, railways, highways, powerlines, parks, woods and much more. As additional benefit we have adapted airport altitudes to fit mesh scenery such as FS Global 2010 or Ultimate. The use of AFM should be obsolete in most cases, if you have FS Global Vector installed. You should have a worldwide custom mesh product such as FS Global 2010 or Ultimate installed in order to fully utilize the benefits of FS Global Vector. Previously purchased versions of FS Global 2010 and Ultimate mesh products will of course work with FS Global Vector. The new coastlines will fit FS Global 2010 and Ultimate. "Cut through" mesh, creating steep coasts will be a thing of the past.

Coastlines, roads, lakes, rivers and so on, but not a photoreal scenery of the whole world.

And you can count that the support team takes every mistake seriously and implement patch after patch.

I bought it yesterday, installed it without a flaw and made my first flight along the east coast.

Check the pictures and decide, if it was worth to invest $62.95 Aussie grands:

South Carolina, Charleston:
reA9uOP.jpg

eccLpBI.jpg

Myrtle Beach:
zWEhMYS.jpg

Portsmouth:
PEDSvrm.jpg

Abeam New York:
RARy5QZ.jpg

Long Island:
NoB4B1c.jpg

The Hamptons:

euvcdIy.jpg

Cheers and enjoy your holidays

René

I'm amazed at how people obviously haven't taken any notice of everything leading up to this release with respect to the mesh situation. It was always perfectly clear that Vector was developed alongside PILOTs FTX Global 2010 mesh and using that would provide best results, and yet there are many complaints of mesh issues by those not using that mesh. Then there are complaints that the recommended mesh is too expensive, which I find amusing when you look at the products listed in most complainants signatures! They've spent $$$ on all sorts and yet the mesh is too much?

Now I will agree with some comments: it wasn't clear on the product page that it would be best with FTX Global 2010 and that 'YMMV' might vary with other meshes or no mesh. This should have been clearer.

I also agree that, despite indications in previous forum posts from ORBX, there was nothing in the installation process that I saw that allowed the installation of a mesh vs 'non-mesh' version, so those without mesh ended up with some unexpected and undesirable outcomes (though there is a solution posted by an ORBX developer).

Even I have found one or two anomalies; duplicate roads in rural China, for example. But come on; realise that as good as it is, this is not real life! There will be issues where things are not right because they have been missed, or simple due to technical limitations of computer-based simming and the FSX / P3D platform. That's just the way it is. We are many, many years away from anything approaching true fidelity.

But come on guys, why so negative. This is a game-changer and ORBX have developed it to work in a specific way. As a company it is up to ORBX how they design their product to work, and they have designed it best with FTX Global 2010 mesh from PILOTs. That is their call, and in my opinion a reasonable one: they want their product to give us simmers the best possible experience the world over. It is not their responsibility to have their product work with every other mesh, or no mesh, or any other product at all. Even their own, if they chose to do that (which would be odd, certainly).

So come on, before purchasing, do the research, find out what is needed. If you are not 100% sure, don't purchase straight after release and wait until others find out for you; don't be an early adopter. Its called due diligence. Caveat Emptor.

I bought the FTX mesh in preparation, because I knew from my research that it would provide the best experience for Vector, and I'm loving it. Thanks ORBX and PILOTs.

</RANT OFF>

Really, who did complain about not seeing his pool or garage?  :blink: Anyway the issues will be fixed, the product needs some extensive testing and that I understand could not be done before release. What still bugs me and not only me is the mesh issue, now is clear you need the mesh (better if the PILOT'S one) but until yesterday was not. Bad advertising, the customers feel betrayed.

Anyway great pics! Sure this is a great product.

Ciao

If only the problems could be attributed to NOT having a mesh. I have the very accurate FSGenesis mesh for Europe - and the airport elevation errors creep in WITH Global Vector. 

Don't believe me?

Fire up a flight from W26 in the US. Have FTX Central set to Global. Load any mesh or none - doesn't matter. Do NOT load Vector. Looks good. Load Vector. Welcome on the airport in the top of the world. The elevation error is introduced WITH vector. Even if you disable the files that "correct" airport altitude errors.

BTWm I doubt that this error will be gone if you use Vector and their mesh. I'll try it, nevertheless..,

Posts like "I have flown around my house but I cannot see my pool or garage" would be obsolete if you have red the description of the product:

Where has anybody said anything like that or even suggested that they expected to see such things in Global Vector ? Emphasize your point by all means, but please don't indulge in such ludicrous exaggeration. 

Not very intelligent to release a product and going to hollydays, living the customers crying....

I didn't bought it , too much complaints here.

But I read french forum's too, and they clearly say to don't buy the product, too much bugs.

DareM: I did exactly this. W26, right? Put me in the idle of a frozen river. I'm not familiar with the area, does that sound right? Didn't have any elevation issues though. This is with PILOTs FTX Global 2010 mesh and Vector.

I have never had any other mesh, or any other vector products like UTX or anything, so I couldn't possibly have any other product remnants lying around.

Hi Rene.

To show you an example what people are complaining about, this is a little glider field (EDTK) close to my hometown Karlsruhe, with a mesh different from FTX (Pilot's) Mesh, but one from the recommended list.

EDTK.jpg

These kind of plateaus are an unwanted side effect of FTX Global Vector, and since there is currently no way to disable parts of the FTX Vector Package like AEC (Airport Elevation Correction), and no proper unistaller neither, we have to live with this kind of anomalies.

Please note, that this is the worst example from a view spots that I have visited virtually this evening. EDDC is another candidate. And this is FS Genesis, or at least a product that they sell under their name as "Germany 19m HD Mesh" , from Intermap NEXTMap as source (4.9m resolution). This has the worst elevation issues, FS Genesis 76m Europe/Africa is a bit better, but still a noticable elevation. And I have the Pilot's FSG2010 Mesh as DVD too, but that's 26GB of Data for the whole world. I won't install this tonight, but will be interesting to see if that fixes it.

Anyway: Orbx should have made at least some kind of install option where you can checkmark, that you have another mesh installed - and then setup would not copy all those AEC (and maybe other little?) meshes that annoy people all over this forum. And since John Venema states that there will be no configuration tool (like with UTX), there will be more and more people getting angry about it. For myself: I'm off for a week. I check back next sunday to see what has happened on this matter. If there is no pleasing development or support from ORBX, I remove FTX Vector the hard way. And in future will VERY CAREFULLY evaluate, whether and - if yes - which ORBX product I buy.

By the way: don't be fooled of this only one "purchased product signature". It's only the necessary minimum to write posts here. I've bought almost every ORBX Product except their Australia stuff and EU England.

Christian

Fire up a flight from W26 in the US

I did just that. I am a P3Dv2 user and using FSGlobal 2008 which I have not used in years prior to all the Vector issues I installed it once again. Seems I am sitting on ice in a river. According to the GPS it´s a water landing.

3kog.jpg

If only the problems could be attributed to NOT having a mesh. I have the very accurate FSGenesis mesh for Europe - and the airport elevation errors creep in WITH Global Vector. 

Don't believe me?

Fire up a flight from W26 in the US. Have FTX Central set to Global. Load any mesh or none - doesn't matter. Do NOT load Vector. Looks good. Load Vector. Welcome on the airport in the top of the world. The elevation error is introduced WITH vector. Even if you disable the files that "correct" airport altitude errors.

BTWm I doubt that this error will be gone if you use Vector and their mesh. I'll try it, nevertheless..,

Possibly that's just a bug within Vector that will be fixed? Do you use FSX or P3D?

Ciao

Hi Rene.

To show you an example what people are complaining about, this is a little glider field (EDTK) close to my hometown Karlsruhe, with a mesh different from FTX (Pilot's) Mesh, but one from the recommended list.

EDTK.jpg

These kind of plateaus are an unwanted side effect of FTX Global Vector, and since there is currently no way to disable parts of the FTX Vector Package like AEC (Airport Elevation Correction), and no proper unistaller neither, we have to live with this kind of anomalies.

Please note, that this is the worst example from a view spots that I have visited virtually this evening. EDDC is another candidate. And this is FS Genesis, or at least a product that they sell under their name as "Germany 19m HD Mesh" , from Intermap NEXTMap as source (4.9m resolution). This has the worst elevation issues, FS Genesis 76m Europe/Africa is a bit better, but still a noticable elevation. And I have the Pilot's FSG2010 Mesh as DVD too, but that's 26GB of Data for the whole world. I won't install this tonight, but will be interesting to see if that fixes it.

Anyway: Orbx should have made at least some kind of install option where you can checkmark, that you have another mesh installed - and then setup would not copy all those AEC (and maybe other little?) meshes that annoy people all over this forum. And since John Venema states that there will be no configuration tool (like with UTX), there will be more and more people getting angry about it. For myself: I'm off for a week. I check back next sunday to see what has happened on this matter. If there is no pleasing development or support from ORBX, I remove FTX Vector the hard way. And in future will VERY CAREFULLY evaluate, whether and - if yes - which ORBX product I buy.

By the way: don't be fooled of this only one "purchased product signature". It's only the necessary minimum to write posts here. I've bought almost every ORBX Product except their Australia stuff and EU England.

Christian

You seem to have a wrong mesh.

I have Pilot`s Mesh-----use it for more than 12years----and have no issues at this place.

Mike

Rene,

It was the same thing when FTX Global came out. "oooh, what the shiny new thing, I had better get it..." without having even an inkling what it does.

The good news is that Global and Vector attracts a whole new segment of the FSX/P3D marketplace for ORBX. The bad news is that a small subset of that growing segment isn't big on reading and understanding before they purchase.

It means that we just have to be patient and put up with this on the forums for a few months.

Ripcord

Just to clarify (I know, posting in forums is generally a perfect way to be misunderstood):

My quote "I have flown around my house but I cannot see my pool or garage" was an intentional exaggeration to ironize some postings which were overblown from my point of view. That is why I have put them in "quotation marks".

I just wanted to express, that a project like this, covering the whole planet, is unable to be tested all around the world in advance. So, please give the developers some time to get the glitches out. They have a hard time now already.

Enjoy the 95% where it is working (see my screens) and wait patiently for the remaing 5% to be patched soon.

(And no, I am not sure, that 95/5 is the correct correlation, this is also only a paraphrase of my feelings!)

Hi Ripcord.

I don't mind your pretentious statement. I usually know what I'm doing. This is why I wrote what kind of Meshes i've already tried with FTX Vector:

• NEXT Map Germany from Intermap (5m): useless resolution in many parts of the country. Elevation issues here and there. With and without FTXGV. This is out of the race.
  • FS Genesis HD Mesh Germany (19m): same results, as this uses the same source data (NEXTMap). Less space needed due to lower resolution. AEC issues with FTXGV.
  • FS Genesis 76m World (EUR/AFR): the one with the least issues, a very good mesh for many parts of the world. I used this for a couple of years without any airport elevation trouble with Ultimate Terrain, at least after the first service packs were released (used it worldwide, i bought the whole series of both - mesh and UTX). FTXGV: elevation plateau as in screenshot a few posts above.

I have FS Global 2010 and Ultimate (Europe, Africa and both Americas) on DVD and will try them after I'm back from vacation. If those elevation issues go away with any of those meshes then it's obvious to me that the whole FTX Vector thing ONLY works properly with FSGlobal mesh. And this should be stated exactly like this on the corresponding Orbx product page. Not more, not less. An honest statement is what potential customers expect.

Believe it or not: many people read descriptions before they actually buy stuff. For myself I'll wait with further purchases until the majority of the Orbx community seems to be happy with a product according to their statements in these forums. I'll definitely won't be an early adaptor anymore.

Christian

I'm amazed at how people obviously haven't taken any notice of everything leading up to this release with respect to the mesh situation. It was always perfectly clear that Vector was developed alongside PILOTs FTX Global 2010 mesh and using that would provide best results, and yet there are many complaints of mesh issues by those not using that mesh. Then there are complaints that the recommended mesh is too expensive, which I find amusing when you look at the products listed in most complainants signatures! They've spent $$$ on all sorts and yet the mesh is too much?

Now I will agree with some comments: it wasn't clear on the product page that it would be best with FTX Global 2010 and that 'YMMV' might vary with other meshes or no mesh. This should have been clearer.

I also agree that, despite indications in previous forum posts from ORBX, there was nothing in the installation process that I saw that allowed the installation of a mesh vs 'non-mesh' version, so those without mesh ended up with some unexpected and undesirable outcomes (though there is a solution posted by an ORBX developer).

Even I have found one or two anomalies; duplicate roads in rural China, for example. But come on; realise that as good as it is, this is not real life! There will be issues where things are not right because they have been missed, or simple due to technical limitations of computer-based simming and the FSX / P3D platform. That's just the way it is. We are many, many years away from anything approaching true fidelity.

But come on guys, why so negative. This is a game-changer and ORBX have developed it to work in a specific way. As a company it is up to ORBX how they design their product to work, and they have designed it best with FTX Global 2010 mesh from PILOTs. That is their call, and in my opinion a reasonable one: they want their product to give us simmers the best possible experience the world over. It is not their responsibility to have their product work with every other mesh, or no mesh, or any other product at all. Even their own, if they chose to do that (which would be odd, certainly).

So come on, before purchasing, do the research, find out what is needed. If you are not 100% sure, don't purchase straight after release and wait until others find out for you; don't be an early adopter. Its called due diligence. Caveat Emptor.

I bought the FTX mesh in preparation, because I knew from my research that it would provide the best experience for Vector, and I'm loving it. Thanks ORBX and PILOTs.

</RANT OFF>

Perfectly clear about the mesh? Really? Look. It's not about negativity... It's about expectations based on information. Perceived or otherwise I guess. But you be the judge.

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/64669-orbx-announces-ftx-global-vector-and-iceland-free-demo/

QUOTE #1 - Corrected airport elevations (optional install)

My question is... Where can I turn the elevations off??? Although I am assuming it would allow me to turn off lakes and river elevation changes as well as Airports, Lakes and rivers are all hard coded elevations. So I assume if it can be done for airports, it can be done globally for those that cannot buy a Mesh at the moment and when they CAN buy a mesh, turn the corrections back on. See. The issue is... If you do not own a Mesh beyond default FSX, you don't necessarily need the corrected elevations.

QUOTE #2 - Further down the page same thread from JV...

NEW: QUICK FAQ

Q: Do I need to purchase 3rd party mesh?  A: No, at install time you can decide if you want to use the corrected airport elevations or not. If you don't install them you can use the default FSX/P3D mesh. If at some later point you purchase FSGlobal or FSGenesis mesh, simply re-run the installer.

Again... Where do I turn it off. I am sure this is all a misunderstanding and I just don't know where to do that.

Charles.

Don't believe me?

I have to correct myself. The airport is WN26, not W26. And I have now Installed FS Global 2010 to see if it corrects the issue. It does.

This is how this looks with FSGenesis:

post-1865-0-53598000-1388266093_thumb.jp

Hi Charles.

Perfect! You've found what I was looking for. The written evidence that there should have been a switch to use (or not) AEC if you have third party meshes. There is none in the install procedure. Maybe due to the urge to release the product before the end of the year?

Come on Orbx! You can do better! As we have to wait for the first OpenLC Pack to arrive anyway, you could have waited a few weeks with this (unexpected at this time) release and implement all the options promised in earlier announcments.

Again... Where do I turn it off. I am sure this is all a misunderstanding and I just don't know where to do that.

Charles.

If I understand the question, you want to turn off the Vector airport elevations?

First, open your C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX\scenery.cfg file with notepad.

you should see this entry

[Area.003]

Title=ORBX!VECTOR_AEC

Local=ORBX\FTX_VECTOR_AEC

Layer=3

Active=TRUE

Required=True

edit it to read

[Area.003]

Title=ORBX!VECTOR_AEC

Local=ORBX\FTX_VECTOR_AEC

Layer=3

Active=FALSE

Required=FALSE

Save the change and start FSX.

The entry will still be there at the bottom of the scenery library list

but will be unticked and inactive.

Done.

Regards,

Nick.

The mesh issue was 'discussed' a lot in the run up, but I agree that the product page does not make it clear enough. That's why we can't just rely on product pages alone. After all, not saying ORBX or PILOTs have done this, but intentionally or not, they are designed to sell, not identify road blocks. I have been caught out like this many times before, both personally and professionally and on both sides of the fence (purchaser and recommender). I'm more careful these days. Usually ;)

I also agree that there should be an installation choice, as was originally implied in earlier forum posts, on whether to 'install' airfield elevation or not. But to expect either one to work with *all* mesh products is unrealistic since not all mesh is the same (why not, surely  the earth is 'fixed', at least within known and small tolerances?!).

Repeated from another post of mine:

To be honest, what I have never understood is the elevation issue in the first place. I just can't seem to get my head around why there isn't a mesh (default or other, who cares) and then why other objects, be they airfields, water features, buildings or whatever are not coded simply to be "on the ground". Where else would they be?! Just doesn't make sense to me :)

Hi Rene.

EDTK.jpg

Christian

Out of curiosity, checked Karlsruhe (EDTK) on mine - FTXGlobal/Vector/FSGenesis,  Here's what I got.

Dave

karls.png

Hi Ripcord.

I don't mind your pretentious statement. I usually know what I'm doing. This is why I wrote what kind of Meshes i've already tried with FTX Vector:

• NEXT Map Germany from Intermap (5m): useless resolution in many parts of the country. Elevation issues here and there. With and without FTXGV. This is out of the race.
  • FS Genesis HD Mesh Germany (19m): same results, as this uses the same source data (NEXTMap). Less space needed due to lower resolution. AEC issues with FTXGV.
  • FS Genesis 76m World (EUR/AFR): the one with the least issues, a very good mesh for many parts of the world. I used this for a couple of years without any airport elevation trouble with Ultimate Terrain, at least after the first service packs were released (used it worldwide, i bought the whole series of both - mesh and UTX). FTXGV: elevation plateau as in screenshot a few posts above.
I have FS Global 2010 and Ultimate (Europe, Africa and both Americas) on DVD and will try them after I'm back from vacation. If those elevation issues go away with any of those meshes then it's obvious to me that the whole FTX Vector thing ONLY works properly with FSGlobal mesh. And this should be stated exactly like this on the corresponding Orbx product page. Not more, not less. An honest statement is what potential customers expect.

Believe it or not: many people read descriptions before they actually buy stuff. For myself I'll wait with further purchases until the majority of the Orbx community seems to be happy with a product according to their statements in these forums. I'll definitely won't be an early adaptor anymore.

Christian

My statement might seem pretentious to you but I posted in response (agreement) with the original poster. And I'm not sorry for doing so. The point he made, and I agree with still, is the amazing amount of people that buy Global and now Vector without really understanding what it is that they do.

In all probability my statement was not directed at you - but I will make this observation:

Your complaint here is airfield elevations. That is an issue everywhere with every single add-on out there. Vector is not a mesh, as you are obviously aware. FS Genesis is pretty famous for elevation plateau problems, both for default FSX airports as well as a number of add-ons. It is the reason that I dumped it and went with FS Global, even long before ORBX starting their alliance with them. I am not convinced in this case that ORBX Vector is the problem, but if you tell me that there were no elevation plateaus for this airfield BEFORE installing Vector, then I agree - we know that FS Global 2010 mesh is the base case that Vector was built to work with, and so it stands to reason that there will be some elevation discrepancies with other mesh products. It cannot be otherwise.

Also remember that you were given a 10% discount to be an early adapter.

Happy New Year

There were a number of similar elevation issues when SAK was released, I remember, and shortly thereafter a patch or a compatibility solution (for UTX as I recall) was put forward. This time we have the entire world that we are dealing with, so one might guess that it will take longer, but no doubt ORBX will provide a solution.

Might just leave this one here.

One of the things about support forums is that people who are experiencing problems selectively post, so you sometimes get the impression that everyone is having difficulties.

Kudos to the OP for the positive feedback.

Cheers.

Archived