Seeking new flight planner/map system

teecee

Now that Plan-G appears to be closing (thank you Google..Not), does anyone have any suggestions as to a source for a decent flight planner/chart system? Teecee.

What? Teecee, where did you get this info from? I was just flying last night using Plan-G with no issues. Does this mean Plan G won't be updated anymore, but you can still use the existing software, or it won't work period?

What? Teecee, where did you get this info from? I was just flying last night using Plan-G with no issues. Does this mean Plan G won't be updated anymore, but you can still use the existing software, or it won't work period?

Sniper, take a look at your PlanG and you will find this. No longer Earth Map support!!!!!!!!!

Peter

wHD54.jpg

The latest version of Plan-G uses MapQuest OSM by default...it's not the best but you can see with the shading where the terrain is high/low. What I do is an approximation in Plan-G and I have google earth opened and check the coordinates (well, I use roads/lakes/rivers as references) to see how it would be like.

I wish we could have all these built-in in the same software and I would even pay for it!

Sniper, take a look at your PlanG and you will find this. No longer Earth Map support!!!!!!!!!

Peter

wHD54.jpg

Okay, I will check that out when I am at home. I don't usually use the the Earth Map support, but rather, I just leave it on the the default map view. I always have Google Earth open at the same time with all my KML files checked, so maybe that's why I haven't noticed. Hmmm...

Downloaded the latest Plan-G and this is what i shows:

MhO4V.jpg+

Jack

the Swede ion Spain

As of last night, that is what mine looks like too. But, I have not tried today yet, so I don't know for sure. I will test out when I am home and report back what I find.

Well, I am currently using a Plan G on a long flight, and no issues, at least with the way I use it. That said, I keep it on Openstreet Map view with KMZ files loaded as well. No issues in that mode, all works for me.

OK.. just uninstalled and reinstalled V3 for the umpteenth time, and have a map.. and not getting the script error (thank goodness) so it looks like Tim has been working on the program.. I do not have a choice of views, but any map is better than none. I can also create flighplans again.. great.. Thanks Tim.Teecee.

Plan-G doesn't do SIDs, STARs or Transitions so it was always limited. I'm currently using a combination of FS Commander (v 9.3) which is much improved but still doesn't have a good mapping system, FSBuild, which does have a google map output but doesn't show SIDs and STARS well, and AivlaSoft Electronic Flight Bag, which IMHO is overly complex and difficult to operate, even if it is comprehensive. I've also looked at SimBrief (web based) and PFPX. Right now there is nothing that does everything I want at the level of complexity I am comfortable with. But there are a lot of options avalable, as I have listed.

Cheers,

Noel.

Archived