Load Times in PNW

Kim Sibbritt

Just finished flying around Australia & NZ enjoying the wonderfull scenery & airports.

I've now installed PWN & all accompanying airport & found the load time has jumped from 5 minutes to 20 minutes.

I went back to Australia & the load times went back down to 5 minutes.

Are long load times normal in PWN ? Should I expect the same when I move on to the GB scenery ?

When up & running everything is fine, frame rates are as expected.

Hi Kim,

twenty minutes loading time seems way too long, at least for just our products. Is this the time from starting FSX to the initial screen or from setting up a flight to the sim loading it, or both? In my experience excessive loading times are typically tied to large amounts of aircraft (including AI) in the SimObjects folders or large photoreal areas.

Cheers, Holger

Hi Holger,

From the FSX free flight screen, to spawning at the chosen airport in PNW even one of the small country airports usually takes about 20 minutes,however the same path to an airport in AUS or NZ, even a busy one like Canberra with the surrounding City scenery only 5 minutes ?

Once there no problems everything smooth & clean.Its got me stumped.

Cheers...Kim.

Even five minutes is an excessively long load time, I don't have any AI aircraft installed and every one of my flights loads off an SSD in less than a minute.

What is your FSX folder location?

What sort of hard drive do you have?

How much free disk space do you have?

Hi John,

I only use the SSD for the operating system as its only 250 GB.Everything else is on the HD [2.75 TB free space].

FSX is on the D drive [not the default location]

I'm averaging 20-30 FPS,when up & running,so this is not a game breaker,just a bit annoying.

Cheers...Kim

Hi Wolter,

I have 59 processes currently listed with CPU usage '0'.

All are deactivated except the necessary ones when running FSX by the 'Razor Game Booster' programme.

Yes I'm using W7 64 bit.

Please excuse my ignorance but what is an AV Scanner ?

Cheers...Kim.

Hi Wolter,

My anti virus scanner is Malware,I run it weekly,it seems to do a good job picking up just about anything.

On further investigation it seems the long load time is due to FSX hanging with the 'Not Responding' message in the task manager.

But if I leave it alone eventually it does respond & start working.

Seems the problem might be with the operating system & not with FSX ?

Cheers...Kim 

Wow way too long!  But I have been experiencing longer load times myself recently and have yet to find the reason.  I did untick all the non AU scenery in FSX scenery manager and it sped up the load times a lot, but of course every time I apply a patch or install new scenery in FTX it reloads all the scenery areas.  I run the W7 64 bit and FSX all off my 256GB HDD... which means that even at its slowest FSX loads up an ORBX scenery in no more than 3-5 minutes.  I would expect it to possibly take 10+ minutes from a normal HDD.

Have you checked the size of your FSX folder?  Mine still fits into the 256GB SSD and I have every ORBX scenery product installed.  It might be worth it, even if you have to run all your other program files from a D Drive...  it works for me no problems.

• 1 month later...

Problem finally solved.My C drive had become overly full,not giving FSX enough room to do its start up stuff.

Even though I have it assigned to the D drive I realised some folders automatically still assign to the C drive,cleared it out & now we're back to around 5 mins.load time.

Thanks for all the advice.

Cheers...Kim

Hi Kim,

in the long run I would recommend to change to another SSD for FSX alone and you'll see a great improvement of the FSX loading time. I wouldn't go with your 5 mins loading time. I already get nervous with 1 minute.

I also hope that you downsized your huge HDD to some neat partitions.

Spirit

Archived