FSX IN THE BIN!

Capnsully

Alas, today I was working on some scenery using ADE and Instant Scenery and at one point my FSX install became corrupt. Weird, couldn't revert any of the files back, buddy strange.

Anyway, I decided to try a reinstall, but sadly I don't remember where my disks are!

So that's it, no more FSX! After a short frustration break I might try reinstalling p3d, but last time that had weird errors in the options menu appear.

So that'll explain the lack of screenshots for awhile!

so see you in p3d or version 2

I'm one position worse than you. Win7 failed after I updated some drivers. Blue screened and unable to boot. tried all options including repairing the installation but kaput. So now I'm in the midst of a long and tiresome reload of Windows and all who sail in her.

Good luck with your reinstall when you find the motivation.

looks like the Playstation is gonna get a workout for a while. :D

Andy b

Bummer! I have my FSX DVDs copied to my hard drive for quicker reinstalls.

There must be something going on with your computer if you have errors in P3D too... Never had a problem with my computer, Windows 7, P3D or FSX (knock on wood!) - Then again I don't overclock or install the latest drivers. If it ain't broken, don't fix it - that's my philosophy.

Have you tried to check the log in Windows Event Viewer? That might give some insight to what happend.

Inevitably FSX/windows will crash to the point of not being able to recover one or both for many folks. I've stressed in a few forums that a $50.00 +/- external hard drive can be your best friend. Install windows, strip it down, install FSX, tune it, create an image and save it to the EHD, stash it in the nightstand drawer. Install your addons after you make the backup. This ensures that you have a clean W/FSX when you have to recover. This also eliminates any one of your addons being the cause of failure.

and you have to be a natural at IT to do all that.   Simple to you and the hundreds like you, but too complex for the many others like me.

I want a game that is stable and to the largest extent possible crash free.   It is not the orphaned FSX.

My dad is in his 70s, he now install windows on hia own, even does harware fixese minor ones. Just by reading, that how i learn. Need to be willing to break your pc a few times but it all helps in the end, besided men cannot produce perfect anything so in teh end they all need teweaking of some sort

Here's one video. I was being general, wasn't referring to fsx specific videos. The best way to backup is use a good backup software that lets u back up a specific directory, like all of /fsx/. Then u can just recover it if there are bad issues
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_jih9HukwI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Sure do not envy you guys.  I just did a computer upgrade with a new HD and all the trimmings (saving of course my two relatively new SSDs), and I had to do the full dance.  it was probably time though, as it has been 5+ years, but it didn't make it any less painful.  And I still haven't got all my add-ons reinstalled, just the ones I am using for now (for instance I still have VRS superbug and tacpack which I am leaving out for the time being). 

That is just a huge life disruption, I think I'd rather have knee surgery or something.

PS Howard, System Restore is your friend.   You can set it to make regular restore points, but if you haven't there are still likely restore points set, that record when you installed or uninstalled some software.

For the more responsible among us (not me), utilities like Acronis can record a complete slice of your computer at set intervals.  You can then reload your entire computer at a point when you knew all was well.

Ripcord after heart surgery I'd happily rebuild my setup once a week, tedious though it is.

Archived