Why is this so?

VH-KDK

OK, I am about to have a drive around KMTN airport which is between Middle River and Bowleys Quarters, close to Baltimore Maryland.

This is another of Neil Hill's wonderful airports this time from pack 2.

So, what is the connection with the aircraft to the airport?

1.B0Gl1.jpg

2.lkWxM.jpg

3.o6rJc.jpg

4.BhcHr.jpg

5.EdgaW.jpg

6.1nPK.jpg

7.eMXpf.jpg

8.P00a.jpg

9.0Kua2.jpg

After driving around most of the airport it is time for a flight. No cockpit in this freeware but the sound set more than makes up for it.

10.8NXWU.jpg

Only just realised the complex to the left houses a museum. Will have to take a look later and see what aircraft are there.

11.TbasK.jpg

Carroll Island is under the plane with the Gunpowder River beyond.

12.WKfrM.jpg

Passing a coal powered power station at Seneca Park.

13.MFrzG.jpg

14.sH6fB.jpg

Above Essex with W48 Essex Sky Park hidden by the tail.

15.1S3lH.jpg

Leaving the Baltimore CBD with the home of the Baltimore Ravens just visible below the starboard wing.

All straight vees with minimal cropping.

A big hats off to Neil for such a wonderful job with this airport.

Hope you enjoy and feel free to comment.

I might find out later Martyn, but for now i just fully enjoyed these great shots from Yours here!

Thank You very much for sharing!

+1 +1   Only a guy called 'Martyn' could get into his head to ask a question like this. KMTN is the Martin State Airport, the former home of the Glenn L. Martin Company - the Glenn L. Martin Maryland Aviation Museum, probably Martyn's next trip destination, is located here (#10). The plane is a Martin 4-0-4 (Reg.No. N40450 called "York River Pacemaker" - same name later for a 737-200) which was operated by Piedmont Airlines in the sixties. Baltimore was one of the first own hubs of this airline which has merged into US Airways over several stations but still exists as a brand.

- Sorry Christoph, I couldn't resist to jump the queue  :ph34r: .

Some facts about Piedmont Airlines' history: http://www.jetpiedmont.com/milestones/

+1 +1   Only a guy called 'Martyn' could get into his head to ask a question like this. KMTN is the Martin State Airport, the former home of the Glenn L. Martin Company - the Glenn L. Martin Maryland Aviation Museum, probably Martyn's next trip destination, is located here (#10). The plane is a Martin 4-0-4 (Reg.No. N40450 called "York River Pacemaker" - same name later for a 737-200) which was operated by Piedmont Airlines in the sixties. Baltimore was one of the first own hubs of this airline which has merged into US Airways over several stations but still exists as a brand.

Some facts about Piedmont Airlines' history: http://www.jetpiedmont.com/milestones/

Remind me not to enter in a contest about history against you....Very interesting set Martyn!

+1 - I think Frank pretty much covered it . :lol: :lol:

Brad

I might find out later Martyn, but for now i just fully enjoyed these great shots from Yours here!

Thank You very much for sharing!

Thanks, glad you enjoyed them.

Well done Frank.  I did not realise the history behind this airport until I looked up some detail before my drive and flight.  The coconut is in the mail.

Remind me not to enter in a contest about history against you....Very interesting set Martyn!

Frank knows his onions.

Super shots Martyn, you certainly find some interesting places to fly.

Thanks, and I am only scratching the surface.

+1 - I think Frank pretty much covered it . :lol: :lol:

Brad

He was pretty close.

Many thanks everyone for the interest and for commenting.

Hope you also enjoyed the history of this airport.

Archived