Bob 1.1 - A Relationship Gone Sour

paddler

Dear ORBX,

Bob has always been a bit of a problem for me. We have been friends since the beginning but never got him to work with me. I updated immediately to V1.1. Same problem. Every once in a while I would try to make him work with me but until recently, nothing, nada, nyet, nul, zero. Bob would just not respond to my entreaties. I put it down to a severe personality conflict between the two of us! 

Two weeks ago I attempted reconciliation and Bob responded cautiously. I could get him to move, albeit sporadically. Even when I have been flying and land at an airport and leave the AC running and select Bob to explore with me he would normally require prodding (a "control E" start). Once this even produced smoke, but off we went. Lately no smoke but at least movement.

However, no sounds of footsteps. There is complete silence between us. No other comments from Bob on start-up or engine off. I go to FTX Central and the Bob Control Panel and attempt to set sound on the "Manage Bob Audio Settings, which has no button filled, but regardless of what button I select the answer comes back "Could not switch option "...". I have removed and re installed several times. (I guess Bob won't accept me as a friend.)

Do Bob and I have irreconcilable personality problems or is there a mediator capable of making us functional as a team? Is it all my fault or is Bob also to blame?

The wisdom of your vast experience and any suggestions on how I may approach Bob to improve our relationship would be greatly appreciated, at least by me. Bob is a good friend that would indeed improve the quality of my FTX life if only we can repair our relationship.

Thank you in advance for any help that you may be able to provide.

I too have BOB 1.1 and an X52 joystick and have no problems. Most recent walkabout was at CBB7 and we had a very pleasant stroll. Don't know why you have to get his engine running. I just start out wherever and guide our tour with the stick and throttle without cranking his engine.

That's odd about the sound, can you check the sound folder?

Here are the files you should have:

1.wav

1.wav.INTL

1.wav.RURAL

2.wav

2.wav.INTL

2.wav.RURAL

3.wav

3.wav.INTL

3.wav.RURAL

4.wav

4.wav.INTL

4.wav.RURAL

Footsteps.wav

Shutdown.wav

silence.wav

sound.cfg

Starter.wav

Startup.wav

As for the smoke on startup, I see you have several airports with airside restaurants. If Bob is started up too quickly after getting his $100 burger, smoke may appear. There is no known fix unfortunately.

Hi Paddler,

Relationship advice for BOB 1.0 &1.1 he has been a very 'naughty boy', its time he made a proper effort !! at least that's what BOB wants.

So you finally got him to move,  he can be stubborn 'He's just going through a phase' and will grow out of it.

This answer might seem a little over simple but have you checked your basic sound setup within FSX, it could be that your levels are too low, or Multistreamed sound is being ported to Headset speakers instead of the your Main speakers, meaning the sound is playing its just not playing to the correct output.  Below is my FSX sound setup, your Sound hardware will most likely be different but you should set it up for HD Audio for best results and not default.

Cheers Jeff

slOr6.jpg

Sorry I have been away canoeing for a few days. (I needed time away from Bob.)

Alex, thanks for your response. When I checked the sound files I found that over half of them did not include a ".wav" extension in the file name. I added that to them. I can now set the settings in the Bob Control Panel and do hear nature's sounds. I still do not hear Bob talk to me nor his footsteps.

Jeff, I do have the sounds settings set correctly. though periodically I find that they do not hold and I must go back and set them again.

Brad, I agree. I will try to talk Bob into therapy. Hopefully before I need to get it too. I do seem to be making slow but good progress in our relationship!

Thanks to all. Your support is appreciated.

Archived