Was ist das?

VH-KDK

OK, without looking at the Simvation site, does anyone know the story behind this aircraft?

1.XVGOy.jpg

Over Perpignan which is close to France!

2.enP5E.jpg

Port Leucate is on the nose.

3.xYag.jpg

Etang de Canet  is the water below the aircraft.

4.W0oaT.jpg

5.IULk.jpg

6.gF7pS.jpg

Gruissan.

7.3u5BE.jpg

8.BvRly.jpg

Near Narbonne.

9.iYBE.jpg

10.QiBoG.jpg

I remember reading about this aircraft when I was a kid.

If memory serves it was from a captured  Mk V spitfire.   It had a DB605 engine with a modified Bf110 engine cowl.  Daimler Benz used it as a test bed to prove the superior design and engineering of German aircraft engines. 

Very strange indeed.   I wounder if there ever was a 109 with a Merlin bolted on to see the performance......?

Cheers

Tim...

If memory serves it was from a captured  Mk V spitfire.   It had a DB605 engine with a modified Bf110 engine cowl.  Daimler Benz used it as a test bed to prove the superior design and engineering of German aircraft engines. 

Very strange indeed.   I wounder if there ever was a 109 with a Merlin bolted on to see the performance......?

Cheers

Tim...

Spot on, the Spitfire Bible has a fair bit of interesting information on this airframe.  It was a Vb EN830 which made a forced landing in France on the 18/11/1943.  It was then shipped to Damiler Benz Aktiengellschaft where it had a DB601A fitted for comparison trials against the ME109G.

Edit:  As for a 109 with a Merlin the Spanish did that after the war, not only with 109's but HE110 too.

HA-1112M-1L+Buchon+C.4K+2.jpg

I'd like to know as well. All I can think of at the moment is SACRILEGE :lol:

Adam.

Sure is an intresting plane, and a fine set of shots.

cheers

Iain

Great shots and interesting bird.

I have no idea , but I really enjoyed your amazing shots . Great post Martyn ! .

Cheers

Brad

A 109 with the Merlin bolted on? I believe they called that the Hispano Ha112 Buchon, (the aircraft used in the film 'The Battle of Britain' to simulate the 109) a Spanish license built copy of the bf109. Still a regular sight at Duxford.

Matt

Cheers

Tim...

I'd like to know as well. All I can think of at the moment is SACRILEGE :lol:

Adam.

Spot on, the Spitfire Bible has a fair bit of interesting information on this airframe.  It was a Vb EN830 which made a forced landing in France on the 18/11/1943.  It was then shipped to Damiler Benz Aktiengellschaft where it had a DB601A fitted for comparison trials against the ME109G.

Edit:  As for a 109 with a Merlin the Spanish did that after the war, not only with 109's but HE110 too.

HA-1112M-1L+Buchon+C.4K+2.jpg

Many thanks for the response gents.

An interesting aircraft which had a better performance than the Spitfire V and the Bf109F.

Archived