will Global improve PNW, CRM, NRM, or do nothing?

peppy197

I am hoping that Global would improve the textures under the already installed PNW and its  other neighbours.

Since I do a lot of flying thereabouts, is it worth the price?

How is the Canadian territory doing east of Calgary regarding FTXG?

Could someone check on Halifax SimAddons effects?

Wont do anything for your FTX regions.  Will upgrade textures (not your landclass though) for regions outside of your ORBX. 

It 'might' improve your FPS in those areas as well, but this is not something that is advertised -- just an observation by some.

For the best feature is hybrid mode, can fly in and out of the FTX regions and not see a change.

The FTXregions (CRM, NRM etc..) are our premium flagship product, in that every square inch is hand crafted.

FTXglobal is a world-wide texture replacement for the default FSX textures (what you would normally see outside of the FTXregions)

FTXglobal comes with a 'Hybrid' mode that allows you to use your FTXregions - with - FTXglobal so you dont have to switch between regions, essentially making the entire world an 'Orbx region', there are some small compromises with this though, f.e the Orbx custom trees

ORBX custom trees sacrificed from which, the FTX Regions, or a little less quality in the new FTXG?

I would prefer to be able to have full FTXG, and when flying in FTX Regions, to manullay revert back to them, can that be done?

I suspect "hybrid" is just a shortening of FTXG. If I dont choose hybrid, the ONLY (??) diff would be the non-seemless transition, which I can put up with

"""I suspect "hybrid" is just a shortening of FTXG. If I dont choose hybrid, the ONLY (??) diff would be the non-seemless transition, which I can put up with"""

I think you are right about this scenario.  With Hybrid checked you would lose a little bit of autogen detail (mainly the trees) when crossing into a full FTX Region (like PNW, SAK, etc), but the benefit is that you would likely not notice a transition when flying from an area only represented by FTXG textures into a full FTX Region.   If you prefer not to lose any detail in the full Regions and don't mind a little bit of a noticeable transition then not choosing Hybrid in FTX Central sounds like the way you may like to set it up.  Try it both ways and see!

If you prefer not to lose any detail in the full Regions and don't mind a little bit of a noticeable transition then not choosing Hybrid in FTX Central sounds like the way you may like to set it up.  Try it both ways and see!

No I want to keep the FTXG improvement at its full potential, and take a hit on the FTX regions, which can stand up on their own still, since they are detailed improvements anyway. So hybrid should then be OFF, correct?

No I want to keep the FTXG improvement at its full potential, and take a hit on the FTX regions, which can stand up on their own still, since they are detailed improvements anyway. So hybrid should then be OFF, correct?

No, Hybrid should be set to [ON]

If you prefer to switch between FTXregions and Default (aka FTXglobal in this case) and retain the full-fat region features, then set Hybrid to [OFF]

Yep... It's been said, but just to add my 2 cents:

There are 3 options if you have Full FTX regions and FTXG:

1. Select "North America" in FTX Central - This will give you your FTX Regions as intended, but some glitches crossing over the border to surrounding areas.

2. Select "Global" with "Hybrid ON" - This will give you 99% perfection of the full regions, and 99% perfection in surrounding FTXG areas, plus allow you to fly across the boundary between full region and FTXG with no obvious transition.

3. Select "Global" with "Hybrid OFF" - This turns on all the FTXG features, but can't guarantee a positive experience within full regions (kind of the same as selecting "Default" in Central then flying in a full region)

It sounds almost like you're asking if you can use FTXG trees and features within full regions... Unfortunately, this is not possible... The whole point of full regions is to provide the best possible representation of the real world. You could of course deactivate the full regions in your scenery library and simply use global with hybrid off to simply have FTXG in those areas, but that kind of defeats the purpose...

This is the winner lol

2. Select "Global" with "Hybrid ON" - This will give you 99% perfection of the full regions, and 99% perfection in surrounding FTXG areas, plus allow you to fly across the boundary between full region and FTXG with no obvious transition.

One thing I don't understand is why a hybrid mode is needed.  If FTXG changes out all my default textures, then when I leave a region, the textures are going to be FTXG textures no matter what FTX Central is set to.  Why would I need to sacrifice anything from regions (and have FTX Central set to anything but North America)?  What in the FTXG textures will not show up that way?  

One thing I don't understand is why a hybrid mode is needed.  If FTXG changes out all my default textures, then when I leave a region, the textures are going to be FTXG textures no matter what FTX Central is set to.  Why would I need to sacrifice anything from regions (and have FTX Central set to anything but North America)?  What in the FTXG textures will not show up that way?  

I believe it has something to do with autogen textures (mainly the trees), but I do recall noticing a couple of elevation issues too during testing... Hybrid off caused some odd airport elevations (just like using the old "default" mode would have), but Hybrid on fixed it all... I'm sure one of the devs could probably explain things better than I though!

Oh yes... I do remember too that the terrain.cfg also has some differences... The terrain.cfg for the full regions is coded for that region specifically... Definitions like how wide streams should be, what terrain angle would result in a rocky texture etc etc... obviously each world region has unique geology so these variables are unique to each region. Obviously FTX Global has to cover the whole world with just one terrain.cfg so I believe Hybrid mode uses a "best of both worlds" terrain.cfg which is not quite as good as the specific regional one, but almost... and not quite as generic as the full FTX Global one, but again close...

The existing Orbx regions are better than Global will provide however for the area east of Calgary FTXGlobal improves the landclass and better matches the NRM textures. I use Western Canada Landclass from Flight Ontario which improves the landclass assignments (Not perfect but better than the default.

Larry

Archived