A rave from the grave

Adam Banks

For me, this is how it all started (and pretty well where it finished!) ... many, many moons ago - a week's gliding course, courtesy of the RAF. Those were the days! For some reason I can't fathom, I chose *not* to go into the RAF. Maybe because I didn't fancy the idea of killing people :lol:.

Anyway ... here she is ... the tandem-seat, open-cockpit Slingsby T21 (Sedbergh). Looks solid (I suppose it had to be!) but surprisingly nimble in the air - and could stay up for ever, thanks to its massive wing surface. You could tell when you were sideslipping by the wind on your cheek!!!

This particular one appears to be entering a competition at Oamaru (definition of an optimist!):

Posted Image

Posted Image

Safely down ... all too soon!

Posted Image

I thought I'd save virtual space and throw this one in for good measure. Would they let you take off at NZMF in weather like this?

Posted Image

Great shots here Adam, I really like this glider.

Every 2 years a great Oldtimer-airshow in Germany (Hahnweide near Kirchheim Tek http://www.oldtimer-hahnweide.de (I hope some advertising is allowed...)) is opened by a T21.

The glider flies low and one guy in the cockpit plays a horn. Very nice :-)

There are also displays with this and other vintage gliders, and of course other vintage planes (lots of GA, Me109, Me262, P51, Spitfire, Hurricane, Ju52 (6x two years ago, see my Avatar) and many more...

Wow ... great link, Marcus ... many thanks! It looks like an awesome show! How marvellous to open a show with gliders. Here's a link to the HD version of the 2011 trailer:http://vimeo.com/20429314 . Great editing and music - brought a tear to my eye.

There'll always be something very special about the first time (for anything). My first ever flight (not even having been on an airliner) was in a D.H. Chipmunk ... then an aerobatic joyride in a T-21. I made sure I got myself onto that gliding course as soon as it came up!

My first glider solo was in a T-21 on a beautiful, calm English summer's evening - with plenty of lift still coming off the warm fields. Even with full spoiler, the glider just refused to come down. All was so quiet. I could hear dogs barking below - and my instructor shouting at me to come down (we had no radios). I ended up having to do a series of figure-of-eight turns on the base leg to land. Unforgettable!

Archived