Oh The Expense!

greybeard

My avitar is a photo of my computer. As you can see it's a bit of a dog and last week the graphics card did big poo's and so I have relaced the card just until all the bits arrive so I can get the best out of a new system.

So therefore it will, apart from the case be all new. My question is this, I have my original FSX Deluxe and Acceleration discs and product keys. Can I still use these or will I have to buy new copies?.

I did call Microsoft and spoke to a lady who'm I could not understand very much. If I got the jist of things I can install okay and activate it but with no support. I might have got it all wrong because it was a very difficult conversation.

Before anybody say's It's cheep enough to by a copy of FSX Gold edition. Where I come from it will be close to $100 in our play money, they are advertised cheeper but no stock.

Cheers, Kevin

My avitar is a photo of my computer. As you can see it's a bit of a dog and last week the graphics card did big poo's and so I have relaced the card just until all the bits arrive so I can get the best out of a new system.

So therefore it will, apart from the case be all new. My question is this, I have my original FSX Deluxe and Acceleration discs and product keys. Can I still use these or will I have to buy new copies?.

I did call Microsoft and spoke to a lady who'm I could not understand very much. If I got the jist of things I can install okay and activate it but with no support. I might have got it all wrong because it was a very difficult conversation.

Before anybody say's It's cheep enough to by a copy of FSX Gold edition. Where I come from it will be close to $100 in our play money, they are advertised cheeper but no stock.

Cheers, Kevin

hello kevin,so you still have the discs of fsx and the product keys,i cant see any issues at all in you using it again,microsoft would lock you out if you were installion fsx every week,i have done 4 new installions of fsx within a 2 year period,i have had fsx since 2006,i think you will be fine,fsx gold package here in oz is still arround $80-$90 dollars,so any saving on your behalf is a bonus i would say :) go for it and install fsx once you are ready too!

Thanks Timmo, that is a relief to know that. I just wanted to make sure it was legal and would work. Fss have gold copies at a very good price but add the freight and convert to $NZ and it aint cheap.

Most of my other Orbx scenery and aircraft addons are downloads from our good friends at Fss so should be no problems. If there is the odd hitch they will sort it out toot sweet. I'm not looking forward to starting all over again at my age but at least it will keep me out of Her In Doors hair for a while. I have decided to go with windows 7. I have had a play with windows 8 and all I can say is "you have to be kidding"

Thanks again.

Cheers, Kevin

Thanks Timmo, that is a relief to know that. I just wanted to make sure it was legal and would work. Fss have gold copies at a very good price but add the freight and convert to $NZ and it aint cheap.

Most of my other Orbx scenery and aircraft addons are downloads from our good friends at Fss so should be no problems. If there is the odd hitch they will sort it out toot sweet. I'm not looking forward to starting all over again at my age but at least it will keep me out of Her In Doors hair for a while. I have decided to go with windows 7. I have had a play with windows 8 and all I can say is "you have to be kidding"

Thanks again.

Cheers, Kevin

awesome kevin,best of luck all should be good mate,i had a choice to use windows 8,but there is not enough feedback on how it performs with fsx,so i stuck with windows 7,its a very good operation system for fsx,better then vista,that was a cockup of microsoft :)

Hi Kevin,

I just got a new pc this week and had no problem to install and reactivate the FSX Deluxe and Acceleration discs (apart from not being able to install the SDK, but that is for technical reasons, not a reactivation problem),

Cheers

Jack

Kevin I recently upgraded to a new rig and had no problem installing FSX Gold Edition apart from activation. It would not accept the key code. However a phone call to Microsoft soon sorted that out.

Windows 8 has not been accepted by some developers and I prefer Windows 7x 64 bit until more compatibility issues are resolved.

I just placed two hard drives last week and re-activation was no issue. Win7 re-activation was no problem also. For what it's worth reinstalling FSX with all the addons has taken about a week. All that's left is about 35 more Orbx payware airports. It'll be nice to get back to simming again.

Thankyou all for the replies, I shall jump in the pond at least knowing that FSX should be no problem. I have Vista 64bit at the moment but I understand that Windows 7 interface and navigation is not too different so the learning curve in that direction should be small. Downloading and installing the 60gigs of the real flight simulator will be the next fun part. Oh well, at least I know that good help and advice is not far away.

Cheers, Kevin

Hi. I have seen FSX Gold Edition for as little as $25 (so I got another copy), and as expensive as probably around $90. In fact, funnily, my dad got me FSX the Christmas before last, and he paid, I think, $80 for the Deluxe Edition and I had already bought a second copy so I took it in to see if I could get credit and get some other games. My dad suggested I do this, so he gave me the receipt. I went in to the GAME shop in Melbourne, as my dad had purchased it from a GAME shop closer to where he lives, and used the credit to get about 5 other games. When I went to the counter the guy was just sort of shaking his head, and he told me that they were selling the same FSX Deluxe Edition for about $30.

Cheers,

Picked up the "Gold" edition of FSX in March 2011 for AU$24.00 at EB-Games. Gave that to a friend. Then EB-Games had another sale on May 2012 and I bought another "Gold" edition of FSX for AU$28.00. Gave that to another friend -- I'm trying to get some more people hooked on flightsim if you haven't noticed !! Both of those I purchased just in case the activation of my original FSX and Acceleration would not work anymore.

So, when you see that EB-Games has a "sale" on and you want a new "Gold" FSX, if you don't 'see it' any where, make sure to ask at the counter, as both times they had the ones that I bought "out-the-back".

I have an original "Deluxe" edition of FSX which I have installed and activated, first on WinXP on my old laptop, then Vista on my current FS computer, and now on Win7. Probably installed and activated it five or six times now. But, I've only activated "Acceleration" once that I can remember.

Archived