I need 2 nice GA airport in PNW

Benny

Hi guys, I have been flying in NZ south, more precisely in NZMF Milton Sound. You get 3 crazy airstrip-airport with a magical surrounding.

But I can't fly there forever, I have PNW and I'm looking to buy 1-2 airstrip-airport that would give me a similar feeling.

Being: challenging landing - surrounded by mountain if possible.

Not to far from each other, scenery in between the 2 would be nice, fun and challenging. MAy close the on of the free ware airport so that would make 3 airport..

Anything like that in PNW

Thanks!

I'd recommend checking out Concrete (3W5) and Darrington (2S1). Both beautifully located in a valley, quite close together, with nice freeware grass strips available in the area (i.e. the West Wind/Riverside package from ORBX plus Kendall from OZx NA).

Here's a sample route (some of the small strips are not identified on the sectional chart, but exist in the Skyvector database):

http://skyvector.com....4WA8:A.K1.7WA3

Buy Cushman, it includes a little grass strip "Bear Gulch" at the end of the lake with a wooden bridge part way along it!...that should keep you busy!

http://fullterrain.c...oduct_kcmw.html buy it, you will love it...

Also Vashon as Orbx Freeware, then fly between Cushman and Vashon...beautiful

And of course, Bowerman is very close as well as Ken Hall's airstrips dotted around the Strait of Juan :)

Buy Cushman, it includes a little grass strip "Bear Gulch" at the end of the lake with a wooden bridge part way along it!...that should keep you busy!

Yep, so far over all suggested this one look like what I want.

Thanks.

hi.'Challenging' is the key word.Walter suttons private airstrip is one of the few 'Challenging' airfields in NA.the weather has a habit of suddenly changing and 'Goheen' is close by.Goheen's runway 15 is a challenge....cheers Bill

The truth is you can't really go wrong with any of the fields in the San Juan Islands area... And while you may want to get two initially, you'll be tempted to get them all, believe me... >:D They are all quite close together, too, so if you decide to get more, you'll always have a picturesque destination to fly to, even if time is limited.

Orcas is another excellent choice. It was actually the first payware airport I purchased from ORBX, and it's still one of my two "home" fields (I'm "spending" this winter at 2WA1). Plus, if you like a challenge, the KORS package contains Clam Harbor, a beautiful small private strip that can be quite tricky with less powerful planes (getting out of there with a passenger and baggage in a C152 is always a great experience :D ). Just be sure to manually disable OZx NA's version of Clam Harbor if you use both packages.

I like all the Puget Sound airports since I live and fly up here. (out of KNUW)

Skagit Regional - 5500 ft runway that is handy for larger aircraft, has a shorter runway too, the 115 sq km of scenery is great with the tulip fields and mudflats.

Anacortes - A nice paring with Skagit Regional since it adds the Deception Pass bridge, town of Anacortes, and the refinery. It makes for a very realistic flying area.

Orcas Is. - Nice flights within the San Juan Islands or from there to one of the surrounding ORBX airports.

Concrete and Darrington - Both are in very pretty valleys and they would make a good pair for very short flights.

Harvey and Monroe - Both nice little fields and go together well since their added terrain coverage meets. Very close together.

Fall City - A nice short hop from either Harvey or Monroe.

Jefferson County and Diamond Point - Another good pairing as they both add extra scenery (mudflats, shore line) to their immediate area.

I don't have Cushman, because it is not really there. You do get extra scenery sq km though.

If you are going to start off with 2 PNW airports, my personal recommendation would be Skagit Regional + one of the following: (depending on your desires)

Anacortes (packs lots of detail into the Skagit valley)

Orcas Is. (for a short hop to the islands)

Concrete or Darrington (if you want a short hop in the Cascade foothills)

Jefferson County or Diamond Point (if you want to go the the Olympic Peninsula)

If you want longer flights, Harvey, Monroe, and Fall City are all nice too. (I don't have the other airports farther south).

Don't forget to get the ORBX freeware PNW airports if you don't already have them.

Cheer,

Matt

Ha ha ha, So funny, I bought Orcas, went to the shop for downloading (EXPENSIVE 3G connection at home) 2-3 airport... 20K sec...........pfffffffffff, 4 hours to get 1gig, corrupted file, GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR, I was so mad (connection at work is warp speed normally).

At home, the hell with my expensive 3G connection, downloaded Orcas again, another 4 hours at a miserable 30k sec. I real joke, the download was anything between 9k and 400k. I hope this file is fine because I'm pissed off. What is happening in Australia????

Get a NA server PLEASE!!!!

Ready to spend a few 100$ but I just can't.... ORBX, please, do something about that.

Many thanks!

ftp2leta, are you using a download accelerator ? Have a read over here http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/39945-orbx-download-speeds/#entry351126

Or if you use Firefox simply install the 'DownThemAll' plugin which works perfect for me (right click link - save with DownThemAll - make 4 connections) https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/downthemall/

ftp2leta, are you using a download accelerator ? Have a read over here http://www.orbxsyste...ds/#entry351126

Or if you use Firefox simply install the 'DownThemAll' plugin which works perfect for me (right click link - save with DownThemAll - make 4 connections) https://addons.mozil...on/downthemall/

+1 for DownThemAll. Great product.

There are lots, but if I had to recommend only two at PNW I'd say go for Orcas and Concrete.

+1

Orcas I, you can find very challenging airstrips with high level detail around it, very nice to fly!!!

Ha ha ha, So funny, I bought Orcas, went to the shop for downloading (EXPENSIVE 3G connection at home) 2-3 airport... 20K sec...........pfffffffffff, 4 hours to get 1gig, corrupted file, GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR, I was so mad (connection at work is warp speed normally).

At home, the hell with my expensive 3G connection, downloaded Orcas again, another 4 hours at a miserable 30k sec. I real joke, the download was anything between 9k and 400k. I hope this file is fine because I'm pissed off. What is happening in Australia?

Get a NA server PLEASE!!!!

Ready to spend a few 100$ but I just can't.... ORBX, please, do something about that.

Many thanks!

I didn't see this email until late...

Try to do as follow:

1) Ensure that your web browser is up to date.

If problem persists:

2) Ensure anti-virus/firewall is up to date

3) Disable Anti-Virus and firewall.

If problem persists:

4) Try using a second PC to download the files

or

4.1) Try using some download tool, like the one recommended by other users here...

If problems persist:

5)Try using a different web browser.

If problems persist:

6) Try to download the files from a different location

If you manage to download the files on a different location, then contact your broadband provider, as your router or line is not working properly, noise on the line can corrupt a large download.

If problem persists

7) Try to download another large file (or similar on size) from other website, If you can't download other files then ORBX and FlightsimStore need to check their servers.

Hope you can get flying soon

Clear skies,

Jcmmg

Hey!!! just found that on your website!!!! Why is that GREAT map.... oupsss, ok, it's everywhere now!!! Great job doing so:

As you can see there are lots of airports clustered in the middle of the PNW region. I recommend you don't get them all, at least not right away. While that will give you lots of detailed airports to choose from, you kind of miss out on a lot of scenery by confining yourself to one little area (some are just a few minutes apart).

Also, your frame rate will be affected. For example, Anacortes and Jefferson are quite heavy on the FPS, and when you put them together (throwing in 2WA1 and KBVS for good measure) they cumulatively reduce your FPS in the entire area (Jefferson Co. will affect your frame rate at Diamond Point, for example).

Darrington, Concrete and Orcas I are given, as well as Cushman Meadows and the freeware KHQM. I also like Diamond Point a lot, especially since it comes with WA45 as a bonus, my favorite small grass field. That will give you a nice, evenly spaced band of airfields and scenery to explore.

After getting those, I suggest you move north, south or east and explore another area for a while before purchasing others like KBVS, 74S etc.

Thanks for your comment. Just got out of Orcas, KHQM and Vachon. To be honest, I think I got spoiled with NZ (both) and NZMF, maybe it's just me.

Not saying that they are not nice, at all, but the surrounding is nothing like NZMF. I'm gona explore some more, I also have Vancouver + and FPS is simply horrible over the city. Got to work on my setup. MY FPS where always lower in PNW, nothing like that in NZ???

But again, I never use stock plane, my new Carenado C182T with G1000 is hard on FPS.

MY FPS where always lower in PNW, nothing like that in NZ???

Yeah, PNW is the most demanding area in Orbx, but mostly when you're close to Seattle or Vancouver. I think maybe it has to do with the big cities with lots of autogen buildings and alot of airfields with AI traffic. There are alot of great areas to explore in PNW many photoreal mountains and such.

Would reccomend Concrete Muni and Darrington airport addons as they are more FPS friendly than the rest of the fields in PNW if you have performance issues, and are great airports to fly from to explore the more rural parts of PNW.

Also I would reccomend overclocking your CPU if you have not done that already, and "maybe" tweak your FSX.cfg(contrary to what many believe, it helps alot if you do it right). I have an old i7 950 OC 4Ghz and are able to hold constant 30FPS almost all over PNW without stutter with all payware GA planes and very dense autogen settings and acceptable AI traffic.

Here goes my mortgage money :-) Just bought England also. I think I bought 8-9 ORBX product in the last month or so. I think your very LIVE forum as to do with that. The fact that the ORBX team is very implicated and present make a huge difference. I'm on quite a few different forum (all kind of stuff) and now ORBX is in the list.... grrrr... On top, we are having a very strange and hard winter up here. Temperature for the next 7 days are in the -15-30C (no wind factor). Heavy wind but no snow??? I'm a shop owner and under -15 I simply can't heat my shop properly... to cold for winter sport, so guess what.... I'll be spending a lot of time on FSX...ha ha ha.

• 4 weeks later...

Is this the fictional one?

Why do I think this one look and fell more interesting.

I bought Orca. Still want 2 more. I may sound a bit rough but Orca is a so so for me.

I would also like to buy another NA region, not sure witch one.... I already own tongass and don't fly there at all.

Anything with to much snow and I'm out :-)

Is this the fictional one?

I would also like to buy another NA region, not sure witch one.... I already own tongass and don't fly there at all.

Anything with to much snow and I'm out :-)

Yes, Cushman is a fictional airport.

As for buying a NA region in addition to PNW, I have PFJ, NRM, & CRM. I like them all.

I find that I fly in PNW most and then CRM next.

CRM has varied terrain. The Grand Tetons, Yellowstone, Craters of the Moon, deserts, mountains, canyons.

There are also fantastic bush airstrips in central Idaho and currently three ORBX payware fields are available.

Ask yourself,

What kind of flying do you like to do?

Do you want to connect with one of the upcoming regions (South Alaska, Northern California, or Southern Rockies)?

I don't think there is a bad choice. :)

h3pilot and Capt. Pugwash

You both make mention of freeware that I can not locate. h3pilot you refer to pnw Orbx freeware airports and Capt. Pugwash you refer to Vashion as Orbx freeware.

Appreciate if you would direct me to where I can locate the freeware material as I have been to freeware and did not locate.

Thanks for your help.

eray9s Ray

h3pilot and/or Capt. Pugwash

Please disregard the memo I just added (see entry above). I guess I was having a senior moment as I have all the freeware mentioned. Sorry but as you get older you will have the moment mentioned.

Thanks eray9s Ray.

Archived