What do you listen to whilst flying?

DjMatty2k9

I love this song while flying

'High in the Hills' by Guy Fletcher

He use to play keyboards in Dire Straits, now works with Mark Knopfler as well as writing his own songs.

But this song just fits perfect while flying

/>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oOB1W0JW94

I usually tune my ipad internet radio streaming app to a station that is close to where I'm flying, Learn a lot about different areas that way, Sometimes it's disheartening though to tune into a broadcast from, say, the Cook Islands in the middle of the pacific and find that they are listening to Britney Spears. Usually I most enjoy the national public radio broadcasts you find, especially in Aus or NZ and of course the Beeb once I buy England

Thanks for the Comments guys, it's nice to know what we all do whilst we fly.

I usually tune my ipad internet radio streaming app to a station that is close to where I'm flying, Learn a lot about different areas that way, Sometimes it's disheartening though to tune into a broadcast from, say, the Cook Islands in the middle of the pacific and find that they are listening to Britney Spears. Usually I most enjoy the national public radio broadcasts you find, especially in Aus or NZ and of course the Beeb once I buy England

I love this idea Shawn, lets you know a lot about the area.

Cheers,

Matt

Well, on good days I listen to the engines, to ATC, to the wind...

On bad days I listen to the coughs of dying engines, the cracking of a broken gear...

Are you talking Accu-Sim here : )

Aircraft sounds, ATC always. I would never listen to music whilst flying. Spoils the whole simming aspect for me. Same goes for videos on Youtube. How many good FSX films are spoiled by music playing in the background? Rarely does it work.

Interesting to see some do listen to music though.

:)

If I did have to select a tune this would be it.

Sting - Fields of Gold

But I prefer the engines and ATC to keep me company.

Regards

Ken

Yes, that's a favorite of mine as well and I do listen to that occasionally while flying. It has a sort of "blue planet" feel to it that goes well while exploring around our little digital biospheres. :)

It can't be too loud though, you need to be able to hear the engines over the music.

Jim

Never listen to music while flying - just the engine(s) and atc for me. Anything else would spoil the immersion.

Unlike Sizel I do like music in FSX films. Some of the OrbX ones on this site are fantastic and the music adds a lot. Same for Glowing Amraam and Jaggy Road vids.

Steve

I am with those who prefer to enjoy the flying. I have made a small exception though.

I used Instant Scenery and things like the UKVFR libs to make my own version of Plockton, Scotland (used in the original Wicker Man movie, and as the backdrop to the Hamish McBeth TV series). Since I still have Lago FSE, and used it to ad ambient sounds, plus the Hamish McBeth theme at the airstrip. Since it's fixed in place, you only heae a minute or so before you are out of range and it fades away.

Departing even more from reality, I also have an old FS2002 scenery, running in FS9, for "Summerisle" (Wicker Man again) which I tweaked with Instant Scenery and added soundtrack music from the movie to.

I recall Bill Lyons used to throw in local radio sounds like music and radio serials as part of his signature fun element, with many of his aircraft. Probably not what the OP envisaged, but that's the limit for me - just a little incidental fun.

Though I have played Glenn Miller while flying a Lancaster in Golden Wings - my dad was a Lanc crewman and he liked Miller!

Never listen to music while flying - just the engine(s) and atc for me. Anything else would spoil the immersion.

Unlike Sizel I do like music in FSX films. Some of the OrbX ones on this site are fantastic and the music adds a lot. Same for Glowing Amraam and Jaggy Road vids.

Steve

Some do get it right Steve. Ones that are done in a professional way like you mention can add a good feel to the footage but i suppose i was getting at the ones that show, for example, an approach and rather than the engines etc we are subject to some totally inappropiate dance music. That sort of thing : )

Archived