FlightZone Portland KPDX Designer. Curious Question

RJ

I know OrbX-FTX will not develop Portland KPDX airport and from what I read I agree with them. It's too much hassle to develop something that big. What I'm curious about is what happened to the original FlightZone designers? Have they moved to OrbX-FTX? This designer is like a myth to me. Portland KPDX was and I think it still is one of the best sceneries ever designed for a flight simulator. It's in my top 10 list. So, if they around how can I get an autograph? :)

Vauchez is nowhere to be found, as far as I know. He popped up a couple of years ago briefly, then vanished back into the mist. Maybe you should save your praise for designers that stick around, day to day, giving support and interaction with their users.

I enjoyed the Portland airport for FS9.

Now I am not wanting to start some rumour here.

I looked for more of FlightZone2 after it came out, waited and waited. I searched the forums and found one obscure notation from one of them that the developer of the portland scenery had passed away.

Searching the internet now and a forum on AVsim a couple of posts by him, I can only find the year 2007 as the last time Stéphane Lepage, aka Vauchez was heard from. I hope I am incorrect on this. It was a great scenery for FS9.

Thanks

Hi Bruce, the reason for my post is that I read a post that said that too. So now, for sure, this information is wrong. :)

Hi Bill, it was just a curious doubt I had. I do praise developers that stick around, support, and interact, but what I really praise in developers is their attention for details. ORBX-FTX has a bucket full of it. The immersion you get is fantastic and it's like you are there, on the "real" world. This level of commitment is what separates most developers. It's not just a bunch of polygons wrapped around together, but something that the developer made with care and attention. I can say that very few have this "gift". Some are good, others are better, others go above and beyond. ORBX-FTX is the latter case. :)

Stephane was talking to Orbx about doing KPDX for PNW and we got to the contract stage but then he hibernated again. I called off the arrangement since its hard working with someone who does not communicate frequently enough. To be honest I don't think his heart was really in going back to FS development.

Having said that his KPDX for FS9 was way ahead of its time, no doubt about that at all.

Stephane was talking to Orbx about doing KPDX for PNW and we got to the contract stage but then he hibernated again. I called off the arrangement since its hard working with someone who does not communicate frequently enough. To be honest I don't think his heart was really in going back to FS development.

Having said that his KPDX for FS9 was way ahead of its time, no doubt about that at all.

That's interesting John. So I guess Stephane's character attributes were one of the reasons that the AirlinerXP Airbus Project, in which Stepahne was involved, never has been finished.

Cheers, Wolfgang

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah - I have Larry's changes, too, Wulf, and other attempts, but always - even the one (in the pics) above is not releasable as a good, finished product. I am (for sure!!!) not anything like knowledgeable in scenery building or modifying, and splitting PDX off from the rest of Stephan's magnificent Portland area and divorcing it from Orbx and default, and then converting it for fsx - let alone DX10 - has been a hard go for at least four or five "sessions", once while working with another FSX Simmer which ran for almost two months. It's almost masochistic, hour after hour of almost getting it right, only to find something else that you can't live with.. I use it as you see it in the pics, but the surrounding area to the south is "not good", so I always land on 28R. :lol:

Hey Paul,

Its what I've been pinin" fer so I've downloaded and will give it a go. Thank you for your substantial efforts, it looks terrific and I'll make my first landing this weekend at 28R.

good flights, Cal

I am glad to see this effortt got completed, i worked to help with this some years ago and am glad it is finally fully functional in FSX, it is a magnificent scenery not the least because of the induded magnifiecent air and ground traffic including air and vehicle moving resources that are really first rate. FS9 and FSX sceneries are, when at their best, works of art and almost magical. Very happy to see that the patch was completed. I have the vintage WOAI Fed Ex file that will give you the correct Fed Ex planes for that era and time for when it was created.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

one of the team who worked on this added some military air traffic as per the pic above, i think i have the BGL for it. Glad to see this fine scenery is still alive.

Lead Admin

3D World and Game Developers Group Linkedin

"We Build Worlds"

that is my version that we were working on in FSX, i havent tried Larry's patch yet to see how much of what we did got into the final format. I was working with another fellow who was doing the changes and i was helping with testing and QC. I will try to check it today. If i can find the BGLs i will share the work we did up to the point where we were trying to get the landing lights to appear correctly which i think was the last problem. Larry may have fixed all of that. I will check with Larry to see if and what the issues may be about permissions and rights first.

If i can confirm that it is ok with the WOAI people before they vanish about sharing the older Fed Ex file i will see if i can share that too...but they are pretty clear they dont intend to allow sharing in the future so that may have to rely on the current packages they have.

Hmmm... I haven't come across any version which uses the ground cover, but it looks like yours does.

Like lots of others - I would, for sure, be very grateful if this work was shared - even in an unfinished state, Cris!

OK let me dig around, it has been a while since i worked on this. It is really a remarkable scenery and the ground tiles are beautifully done, i learned a lot about painting ground textures studying theirs. At night the illusion is almost supernaturally complete. I first flew into the scenery airport in an old DC3 and when i got to the assigned parking area and found a ground handler with lighted batons guiding me to the shutdown, it was a immersive shock, after seeing the customer cars circling around on the raised level and the parking area so well defined as are all of the service areas and outlying industrial parks. I will see what i can do but i do want to make sure that the permissions area is clear re Flight One and the designers. That was one reason we never released before because permissions were and are very important.

Lead Admin

3D World and Game Developers Group Linkedin

"We Build Worlds"

Hi Paul,

l thought I already owned the FZ 2004 KPDX program but I couldn't find it. Your results convinced me to purchase it from Flight1 and then I downloaded your patch fix thru dropbox and it came through intact. The instructions ran together and were hard to figure out but with some effort I managed to identify the files and removed the listed files as you instructed and hoo-rahhh I now have a super looking KPDX and greatly improved nearby small airports. I'm thrilled and I'm grateful, thank you for the many hours you spent on this. The only artifact I'm seeing is a floating green and white rotating beacon near the control towers. Is there a file I've missed? If not, its OK because it sure is easy to spot in the fog.

good flights, Cal

Wow Cal!! Terrific! I'm thoroughly glad you are getting enjoyment out of the old girl! ....... but that's not my patch, though! I haven't got the cojones to claim anything I've worked on in FSX to be "useable"! I think that's the one originally posted by Larry Robbins, who (again, I think) worked with Anthony Cacciatore, and posted at http://www.myflightsimblog.com/ucp.php?mode=login - which is now gone. Avsim's "DJJose" also worked at converting PDX for a while too, somewhat with me, but I'm not sure that he finished it. I had, and still have, problems re-doing the south edge ground, plus some problems with the river bank. I don't know how to use many of the tools to produce scenery, and neither the intellect, nor the patience to learn them, I'm afraid.

Anyway, that's life!

Enjoy - it's a great airport, isn't it - one of the very best in the sim-world. I wish Stephane had continued with it into FSX.

All the Best,

Hi Paul,

Whoops on the file credit. I agree with you, it is a wonderful piece of work, I flew up the gorge last night breaking in and out of clouds and noticed the river bank errors but compared to the wonderful airport details those don't matter much. What a gem. I never really knew about this package even though I thought I had it for 2004. I had installed enhancement files which made PDX look a lot better but nothing came close to what I have with the file you sent me to which works in FSX and fits pretty nicely into Orbx. You may not have created it but you shared the link, thanks again.

Cal

• 2 years later...

Paul,

I know, I'm late to the party but I've been following the discussion about KPDX port-over both here and other FS-related forums. I know that DJJose and you had been trying to make the FlightZone scenery better but don't know the results of your works. Any progress? Can I also request your mod once uploaded to dropbox?

Thanks!!!

Archived