Heads up: EGHR, CYBD, NZMF and KSFF release updates

John Venema

Hi everyone,

We have posted quite some review shots from EGHR Goodwood, KSFF Felts Field, NZMF Milford Sound and also CYBD Bella Coola recently and many of you are eager anticipating these airports.

Let me give you updates on each of these ok?

EGHR Chichester - SIM720 our Hampshire studio have hit a snag with airport management over permissions for certain copyright logos and signage at the airport which unfortunately should have been agreed on before development began, but we can't do much about it until that is all sorted. We don't want to release anything which breaches copyright and branding. Bear with us until that is resolved, which we hope is soon. The airport is not yet beta tested but last time I saw it was feature complete.

KSFF Felts Field - Jarrad's next airport is all but done, but testing has uncovered some potential show-stoppers which Jarrad and I have deemed to not be acceptable to release to customers. Jarrad however, is on a plane to Vietnam at present and won't be able to address those issues for a week, so we'll have to delay release until then.

NZMF Milford Sound - Heiko and Andreas are making great progress on this charming airport and are just working around some P3D compatibility issues and final vegetation tweaking and also trying to bed down a new surprise animation feature which would be cool if we can make it work. The online version will make xmas, the DVD version will not.

CYBD Bella Coola - We have hit a performance wall with Russ's amazing new 3D grass (which runs quite well on high end PCs). In order to allow customers with modest hardware to enjoy this 2cm airport, I've asked Russ to add a new "lite" grass option so that FPS is acceptable to low-mid range PCs. This means we'll likely release this on Wednesday now.

UPDATE: Bella Coola is now released :) - http://www.flightsim...roducts_id=2229

UPDATE #2: EGHR Chichester Airport is now in testing. We will no longer refer to this airport using the name Goodwood due to brands and licensing issues.

Yours in updates.

Always good to hear updates even if they are not good news, but at least we know whats happening and that's good.

Thanks.

Agreed; unhappy news is better than no news at all. And considering the vast unexplored areas of Orbx scenery I already own, I have plenty to keep me occupied. :)

Very much appreciated, John. Duly noted. I really hope you will be able to solve this brand and copyright issue. Welcome in this good old Europe where everything has becomen a restriction. This is a nightmare to imagine that a virtual sign or virtual brand can actually become a real issue...

Best

Dom

Thanks John and your crew for this jewel and all the other places, we've got! My ORBX folder increases now to a new record size, after Bella Coola ;-) I wish, I could say that also about my credit card account ;-) But it's worth every cent! And finally, I built a FSX with just ORBX on it and this works great!

ORBX, what else?

All the best and go on with that fantastic job,

Stephan

Hi

Don't know if this is the right place to ask, but keep thinking more and more about Terrace CYXT since

it would be a perfect stop between Bella Coola and PAKT / Stewart.

I know that projects strongly depend on photo materials but is it a possible project in the future ?

Best

Recommending this link for some great tours !

http://www.bellacoolaair.com/tours.html

Hi Dom,

Consider CYBD the final airport in Russ White's "Super HD Trilogy" for Pacific Fjords. His focus now and through 2013/14 is to make standard definition VFR airports in the UK and then onwards into the rest of Europe.

We won't likely be making any more 2cm/pixel airports for a long while since they take an extraordinary amount of work to make. We are shifting our focus to nice atmospheric VFR airports in more densely populated areas where simmers will want to spend a day hopping from one location to another, sort of like what we did for PNW but set in Europe instead.

I'd like to have about 50 or more EU small to mid sized VFR airports on sale by the end of 2014. We are are looking at doing some historical WWII England airfields.

On the subject of historical airfields, are there plans for adding RAF Bentwaters and RAF Woodbridge. I flew to these two airfields, which are in very close proximity to each other, and they are completely missing from FTX England. Rendlesham forest is there, but no airfields, odd.

UPDATE #2: EGHR Chichester Airport is now in testing. We will no longer refer to this airport using the name Goodwood due to brands and licensing issues.

Oh that bloody legal stuff!!!

If you have more of this when you go over to Germany let me know. Maybe we can help Orbx out.

I'd like to have about 50 or more EU small to mid sized VFR airports on sale by the end of 2014. We are are looking at doing some historical WWII England airfields.

John, you mentioned in another thread that Orbx is in close contact with the developers of P3D.

Does your above post mean that the Orbx-add-ons will also work with P3D 2.0 when it arrives in 2013?

(Yes I know that P3D will likely not be released before the end of 2013)

Best regards, DocBird

We are not assuming that P3D 2.0 is backward compatible with 1.x at all. In fact we'd prefer it is isn't.

The price of progress would mean that certain old ways of doing things in FSX/P3D1.x are likely to be re-vamped. This may include autogen, animation, SimConnect, core engine functionality etc. We don't have visibility on any of that yet and if we did we are under NDA.

For us though, we'd prefer to have to re-engineer our older code if it meant we got a much better sim in the end, ie DirectX 11 support, processes offloaded to the GPU, new real-time shadows, cloud shadows (add your wishlist items here).

The best possible solution is to have P3D 2.0 have a "legacy mode" whereby older 1.x sceneries and addons will work in some form of emulation of the older systems. But the LM guys know what we want, we've asked them a long time ago :)

This is all great and fantastic news!!!!!!!

... 50 EU-airports ... i guess i will spend a lot, lot, lot of time with flightsimming next year!

:)

We are not assuming that P3D 2.0 is backward compatible with 1.x at all. In fact we'd prefer it is isn't.

The price of progress would mean that certain old ways of doing things in FSX/P3D1.x are likely to be re-vamped. This may include autogen, animation, SimConnect, core engine functionality etc. We don't have visibility on any of that yet and if we did we are under NDA.

For us though, we'd prefer to have to re-engineer our older code if it meant we got a much better sim in the end, ie DirectX 11 support, processes offloaded to the GPU, new real-time shadows, cloud shadows (add your wishlist items here).

The best possible solution is to have P3D 2.0 have a "legacy mode" whereby older 1.x sceneries and addons will work in some form of emulation of the older systems. But the LM guys know what we want, we've asked them a long time ago :)

Super!!!!!

It is truly great to read, that our enthusiasm and interest in aviation and flightsimming in specific here has a bright future ahead and all these days of dll.crashes, stutters and all that stuff will more and more belong to the past!

FANTASTIC!

:)

We are are looking at doing some historical WWII England airfields.

I lease about 99% of your products and have a new system being shipped to me with a bigger SSD to support your growing addons. I had no interest in buying your England region as I can only fly in so many places at once although the idea of some of the other regions in that area to come do tempt me. However, if you guys do some WWII England airfields as mentioned, well thats a different story and I will certainly be getting the region packages as well.

Indeed we are doing WWII airports and have already begun development on the first one, (set in 1942) and we are even using historial aerial photos from archives for maximum authenticity.

We want to be able to provide an England which allows the recreation of the Battle of Britain days in all its glory. It's such an important part of aviation history that we would be remiss to not facilitate it.

If you can imagine pulling up to a WWII airport in your Spitfire, seeing those khaki coloured uniforms and trucks, smoking pilots and officers chatting around the mess and hearing the Andrews Sisters over the tannoy .... that is what we want to capture.

That truly is great news as you have already read many times a demand by customers wanting this so I applaude you guys for this. Not only are you guys doing regions but now you guys are doing era's as well! Great stuff. Now just to get some mud painted on to that Spitfire of mine to feel at home at the kind of airfield and I will be all set.

Archived