Multiple Cloud Layers

John Lovell

Just discovered this weather engine by Opus. Seriously impressed how it loads and manages weather!

No more cloud popping, flashing when loading and you can see differenet weather conditions all around as far as you can see. You can fly to them and they will still be there, rather than just pop in and out.

Still using REX textures, but here's my 1st flight and I my jaw was on the floor for all of this flight!,... All clouds from Cumilus, Alto Cumilus, Stratus, Cirrus

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

They are amazing John, is it difficult to set up ,does it take a long time to load ,I'll check there website, but beautifull shots mate really impressive

cheers and thanks for the headsup

Takes about 2 minutes to set up and loads the weather in about 30 seconds ;)

AWESOME

Ok must have... was it difficult to run with REX?

I just bought this and what a great product it is! Very quick to load the correct METAR and clouds textures form REX... works fine with REX Yarddreamer... it just uses its textures... although having said that i did turn off weather engine form rex and everthing associated with its weather...

You also should turn off FSUIPC weather smoothing as this takes care of all that too...

Whats cool is that from the add-on drop down you can read the deadly accurate weather conditions (ATIS) at the very airport you are at...

I am not sure about the dynamic head movement thing though.. i use track-ir and there is some setting up here to do but works fine after that... the read me said that track ir if used will disable the head movement aspect... unless i got that wrong?

Still a very very good weather engine indeed!

EDIT: The process to get it working is 1) start TIR 2) FSX 3) OPUS... then it all plays nicely together!

Looks incredible!!!!

I have a couple of questions! I have EZ-DOK and have never really got on with the way the external views are fixed to the aircraft, rather than to the 3D outside world, so when the aircraft banks, the landscape tilts.

Does OPUS allow left-right + up-down panning as well as allowing the view(s) to be fixed in the outside world?

Looks incredible!!!!

I have a couple of questions! I have EZ-DOK and have never really got on with the way the external views are fixed to the aircraft, rather than to the 3D outside world, so when the aircraft banks, the landscape tilts.

Does OPUS allow left-right + up-down panning as well as allowing the view(s) to be fixed in the outside world?

Not sure about that although i have read that if you enable the head movement in OPUS then it will conflict with EZDOK... probably best to go the website below and have a good read of the manuals that are free to download.... there also is a demo version that lasts for 10 mins i believe.

http://www.opussoftware.co.uk/opusfsi/downloads.htm

Hope that helps!

I actually emailed Opus and asked a few questions about the Live Camera aspect... I use Ezca right now and there are some nice features in Ezca that I use a lot... Specifically being able to define a camera that has no head movement and Track IR disabled for just that view, and also to define a number of views then "scroll" through them using a joystick button...

Got a response back very quickly and I was very impressed by the Opus customer service so far... They confirmed that the Track-IR toggle function is coming soon, the ability to cycle views and view categories is something they are looking into and they are also getting some ideas together for a world based camera system and a user definable pan system that you set the start point, end point and the camera will smoothly transition between the two... Opus even admit that they are looking to make the Live Camera work as a tool for FSX movie creators...

All in all, it sounds like there are some big changes ahead and Opus is just going to get better and better! Plus Opus seems very willing to listen to requests and ideas... and implement them if it's a good one.

Now I just need $45...

Thanks all for the answers! I think my best course of action would be to try the demo - and give it a go with EZDOK disabled (so there are no conflicts). I looked at the Cameras Quick Start Guide (and a couple of videos) but couldn't really work out how it treats world views.

Having "live" technical support means a lot, IMHO. EZDOK is a powerful piece of software, but hasn't really been touched for a year or two. OPUS could pick up the baton ...

Picture this....

You are flying through a few clouds, layers of cumulus, alto cumulus and in the distance, you can just make out a few storm cells. As you get closer, they all come into view and you notice their towering anvils reaching high into the altitudes.

You have a choice of diverting around them, or go for it.... well, this is a sim and what the heck!...

As you approach even closer, you can hear the rumble of the thunder getting louder, a few bumps as you approach turbulent air. You enter the Cumulonimbus and your whole world goes dark, the wind increases 10x from all directions, you are being constantly thrown about through the raging storm and you begin to wish you had diverted round them...

It’s all relying on instruments IFR but you struggle as you attitude indicator bounces all over the place, your v speed is going up and down. All around, the sound is booming, the rain is tipping as you 'punch the core'...

Then before you know it, you manage to get out of the storm cloud, the air is suddenly smoother, but your heart is still racing as you try to get it together... and the plane cabin is in a complete mess with anything that wasn’t tied down... and this morning’s breakfast!

You can see a few other storm cells in the distance, but decide it best now to divert around them, as the storm you just flew through fades into the distance (and not just vanish)

That's exactly what I experienced with this new weather engine. I was amazed how the weather don’t just suddenly pop up. You really can see far into the distance in all directions with all the building weather.

All of this with no lag or fps impact. And you can access the options in you tool bar once in the sim.

It seems like Stephen from Opus is right on the ball, is constantly updating, improving and listening to customers. If this is just the start of this amazing product, the future looks very bright indeed.

Very nice shots here John.

Just not sure if i should go for yet another weather-engine... ??? i become a little tired about having got to start again and again...

... I think I will wait for REXEss SP1 - for now... But sure: Having an eye on Opus already...

And who knows:

If Opus supports the upcomming PFPX-tool in the future, then i will seriously consider purchasing it too - especially due to all the other features it offers besides the weather-enigne - so: A very promising add-on certainly.

... and if it really stops the clouds from jumping into the screen out of nothingness, as this happens within other weather-engines so far, it is even more than tempting to purchase it!

Cheers, Christoph

This is all quite a bit of interesting information - and great screenshots to illustrate it. I have been playing around with the REX settings for a while now and finally reduced the "popping" clouds by simply setting the range to global (works halfway decently here), but the point with the "globally-same" weather is a bit of a downer. f OPUS really manages to bring "local" conditions in a global scale then I just might have to give it a chance...

Cheers

Mallard

Archived