Skyvector now has worldwide charts

It seems that SkyVector (http://skyvector.com/) now have worldwide VFR and IFR charts, although they aren't as good quality as the US sectional ones, they are still going to be extremely useful, and this is I'm sure will be a very welcome addition to people flying outside of the US. This definitely beats using the Navigraph application on Windows, which makes it difficult to draw on and print charts.

As of yet though, you will still need to find the approach charts elsewhere, but I've heard they are working on getting some of the larger airports onto the site

Hi,

for what purpose do you take Skyvector? It's stated it is not for real navigation. On the other hand, you can't save .pln files (seems you can't save in any commont format at all). Charts sure look nice and graphical planning is fun but in the end I am not quite clear what to do with the result (except, perhaps, making a screenshot).

Kind Regards, Michael

Hi Michael

I use it for VFR and IFR flight planning, i.e. It will let you construct a flight plan, giving you bearings between each point, time, and of course checkpoints along the way. I use it loads in PNW, and the features you see on the charts, obstacles, etc have mostly all been done accurately by orbx. It's also used by real pilots, but as stated, only for planning. It's a great way to practice navigation, and can be very rewarding if done successfully.

As of the worldwide charts, although they are OK, they are lacking in the detail the US ones have. For Europe and NZ, I have various ICAO and other charts. However, I think the IFR charts they've added are brilliant, and I've already used them. I no longer need to fire Navigraph up and use clunky enroute charts

Thanks for the replies,

I have been using Plan G for (VFR) flight planning up to now, which (i) uses the FSX database as is, (ii) allows to save plans as .pln files, (iii) doubles as a moving map, (vi) allows importing ORBX kmz files. I still have to see an advantage of Skyvector, as nice as it may look.

Kind Regards, Michael

Archived