Near Mid-Air disaster

tennyson

Flight plan was a departure from Wellington to Christchurch, quick passenger pick-up and then on to Queenstown.

About 5 minutes out of Christchurch and climbing throo 12,000 feet, I had Master Caution lite come on, followed by a warning horn.

Checked out all of my settings and then realised that the forward and aft cargo doors had not been secured prior to departure.

My FO was suddenly very quiey (FS2Crew), so I shut down the packs and dropped back to 9000 feet to try and fix the problem.

I bought up the door controls (via the FMC), but they must be set off by microswitches in the landing gear and they weren't about to work.

I had no choice but to declare a PAN and return to Christchurch.

Successfully put her back down on the deck, but it wasn't till I got back to the gate that I was able to shut the cargo doors again.

I'll certainly be aware of that in future.

Unfortunately, the passengers were very upset and have now taken out a law suit against my small airline, so I may have to declare bankruptcy and put OzSim Airlines out of business, before it really got off the ground (no pun intended).

To make matters worse, my wife is pregnant and my eldest child is about to start university, so I may have to find a job at Yellow Taxi's in Christchurch for the rest of my life.......

Can someone tell me what's wrong with this picture???

Posted Image

Frank

After the investigation, it was found that the newly acquired bag-handlers from Australia had not secured the cargo doors, so the class action was thrown out of court.

My wife delivered the ten pound bowling ball as soon as I told her we were now destitute and my daughter is now enjoying selling burgers at macca's instead of all that awful study, where at the end she would be suing poor schmucks like me.

To prove that "all's well that ends well", my Airline was awarded 20, 000, 000 New Zealand dollars in compensation, to cope with the negative publicity.

I'm thinking of leasing a few twins that don't have baggage doors.........

Captain "Sully" Cooper (Retired , Active again!)

Haha ... very good :)

Of course, you should have checked your security CCTV footage first. You'd have seen the "Wanna-Ben" team in action, climbing into the cargo holds - but forgetting to leave at least one member of the the on the *outside* to close the doors :lol:

/>http://www.stuff.co.nz/auckland/local-news/5657522/Wanna-Ben-TV-crew-risk-travel-ban

I would get a LAME to check your door warning system. You should of had "Master Caution" and "Doors" on the right hand six pack plus the "Fwd Cargo" and "Aft Cargo" warning lights on. They can be MEL'd but a LAME would need to physically check and certify that the doors are closed and locked before each departure.

I think your aircraft dispatcher should be fired too, did he do a walk around of the aircraft prior to push back and engine start?

Yeah, that was my defence at the court case, Marty.

Even tho, I did see the annunciators on the overhead and the flashing master caution, it took me a little while to discover the problem, as I've never seen this before. It was also the second leg of a very late flight and I was probably a little fatigued (but I didn't say that in court).

The lame and the aircraft dispatcher claimed that there was a sudden low light situation due to cloud cover, prior to my take-off at Christchurch, but the judge saw throo that and now these two boys are serving potato chips at Sizzlers!

I felt sorry for them and offered them a job, working on my smaller fleet of Cessna 208's that I've just purchased with the 24 mill.

Frank

Archived