Microsoft Shuts Down "Flight" - PLEASE ONLY POST IN THIS TOPIC

chumley

Thanks Ian! I will get in touch with him and connect him to this great community and yourself. I'm sure that once he starts diving in and finds that there are truly great places like this, that it is hard to just not fly anymore.

I think MS was in a tough spot with the FS brand.

The FSX engine was outdated, but MS couldn't really start from scratch with current tech on a FS11.

Why? Because we would all want backward compatibility with our huge libraries of add-ons.

I don't think MS can produce a product with global coverage and ORBX quality scenery for a reasonable price either.

How good would a FS11 engine, weather and graphics need to be for us to dump our current FSX (with all the other stuff we've added, ORBX, REX, aircraft...)?

So MS targeted a new market with Flight. The Sim novice, who unfortunately for MS, wants to shoot stuff down in a F-22 (or is smart enough to see the value in $20 FSX Gold).

Flight's closed ecosystem was a mistake too. 3rd party add-ons are good for the sim community.

I kind of like the way things have become with FSX and P3D anyways. We have become kind of a cult phenomenon and far away from mainstream. We are a loyal customer base that continues to support small developers, we are a community where people learn not only about aviation, but programming skills and design skills, as well as building hardware and electronics.

I am glad to be friends with many in the FSX community and look forward to many years to come. Hopefully our developers continue as long as we continue to support them.

FS11 won't happen because Microsoft's biggest competitor at the moment is Android and Apple. They have reported their first loss as a publicly traded company. The desktop computer is dead and the only way for Microsoft to become profitable again is in the App market. FS11 wouldn't work as an app.

So for me just keep things going the way it is and I will be very happy as a rare desktop user with Flight Sim. I like the community the way it is.

The only reason MS lost money was because of a write off due to a loss on a digital advertising company (the name escapes me)

If you exclude this one time write off, they actually made more money than last year at the same time,

Well, I for one am a bit sad at the news. MS Flight had some potential, and did quite a few things better than the currently available alternatives, it also had the capacity to introduce people to this hobby. all that is gone now. Yes, Microsoft did a horrible job pitching the idea to the flight sim community. Yes they made some fairly bizarre marketing decisions. I do give them credit for trying something new. I think they were on a short rope to begin with, and were relying on continual sales of DLC to bankroll further development into something with more universal appeal. we may have had something akin to FS11 2-3 years down the line. now what do we have? FSX, which I have spent ~$2000 to try to make bearable and spend way more time tweaking and tuning than actually flying. XPlane which is just not there yet, and P3D which has promise, but right now is just a tweaked FSX that the creators are prohibited from marketing as a wider market commercial product. I know that many of my fellow simmers felt personally betrayed by Microsoft turning their "sim" into a "game" but there is not a whole gulf of difference between the two. Most "simmers" when you come right down to it are really "gaming" when they fire up FSX anyway. Some of the behavior directed at MS on their forums and facebook page was quite frankly crass and juvenile, behavior I would not even expect of a five year old, let alone someone who claims to be a more sophisticated consumer. MS made a game that was not what we wanted, they didn't kick our dog, or insult our mothers.

Whether we loved or hated Flight, I don't think this is a great day for flight simming, and I don't think this should be celebrated. What should be celebrated is the release of lots of great ORBX regions and airports, lets have that NZSI and Southern Alaska please! lol

off soapbox.

I am very enthusiastic about Prepar3D even at it's current stage in development. It looks far better on my PC than FSX ever has. But the real reason I am excited about the future of P3D is that it promises to cater for all levels of FS from kids with machine guns in Piper Cubs to serious aeronautic trainees.

AND it virtually guarantees us, I hope, that we are going to see a lot more great Orbx scenery in the future. It is the first time I have seen a ::grin:: on Jay Kae's face. Might be a few extra bottles for the garbo's to pick up this week. ::)

The recent news that MS Flight is grounded has obviously brought anger and unhappiness to some of the Flight Simming community.

I do feel somewhat guilty as I am still a really happy Flight Simmer as NZNI is on short finals (the best news recently!), we still have lots of Orbx scenery to come our way, there are some great new FSX addons to be released sometime this year (hopefully) and eventually we'll have P3D version 2. So we have great times ahead.

Personally I will not miss Flight (I uninstalled it after trying out for a couple of days) and I really don't think that Microsoft, in it's current state, is the best company for a new Flight Simulator. They remind me of pilots who have lost their way and are refusing to listen to ATC.

Marith that's very sound. I guess the community's anger is directed at the fact that MS abandoned FSX in favour of FLIGHT. Now its been proven a dud. So the anger is more for opportunity lost rather than the failed replacement which I for one tried and discarded as too much a 'game'.

Like you I am a happy Prepar3D user with just about everything working fine. Its the next step from FSX which we had all hoped would be MSFS 11. And as the developers have a wider commercial incentive then we will benefit on the fringes.

You nailed it Ian. MS lost the community when they abandoned FSX and Flight was never going to win them back. Too may people, including Orbx and a host of freeware and payware developers faced an uncertain future and nothing, except perhaps selling out to LM, will ever make amends.

Marith that's very sound. I guess the community's anger is directed at the fact that MS abandoned FSX in favour of FLIGHT. Now its been proven a dud. So the anger is more for opportunity lost rather than the failed replacement which I for one tried and discarded as too much a 'game'.

Like you I am a happy Prepar3D user with just about everything working fine. Its the next step from FSX which we had all hoped would be MSFS 11. And as the developers have a wider commercial incentive then we will benefit on the fringes.

hmmm......

for me no Prepar3Dm ,i want buy it a few months ago,but they have no option to pay with pay-pal..........i have no credit card,and want no!!!................

so my money is not good for them?

but fsx runs perfekt for me with orbx and all the planes............

but fsx runs perfekt for me with orbx and all the planes............

Yes, FSX runs perfectly for me with all the Orbx addons and planes as well as Prepar3D. It actually runs better than MS Flight.

FSX is still my main simulator but I do fly in Prepar3D as well.

Well, I for one am a bit sad at the news. MS Flight had some potential, and did quite a few things better than the currently available alternatives, it also had the capacity to introduce people to this hobby. all that is gone now. Yes, Microsoft did a horrible job pitching the idea to the flight sim community. Yes they made some fairly bizarre marketing decisions. I do give them credit for trying something new. I think they were on a short rope to begin with, and were relying on continual sales of DLC to bankroll further development into something with more universal appeal. we may have had something akin to FS11 2-3 years down the line. now what do we have? FSX, which I have spent ~$2000 to try to make bearable and spend way more time tweaking and tuning than actually flying. XPlane which is just not there yet, and P3D which has promise, but right now is just a tweaked FSX that the creators are prohibited from marketing as a wider market commercial product. I know that many of my fellow simmers felt personally betrayed by Microsoft turning their "sim" into a "game" but there is not a whole gulf of difference between the two. Most "simmers" when you come right down to it are really "gaming" when they fire up FSX anyway. Some of the behavior directed at MS on their forums and facebook page was quite frankly crass and juvenile, behavior I would not even expect of a five year old, let alone someone who claims to be a more sophisticated consumer. MS made a game that was not what we wanted, they didn't kick our dog, or insult our mothers.

Whether we loved or hated Flight, I don't think this is a great day for flight simming, and I don't think this should be celebrated. What should be celebrated is the release of lots of great ORBX regions and airports, lets have that NZSI and Southern Alaska please! lol

off soapbox.

Well put Shawn. Enough said.

Never bothered with Flight.

Used P3D v1.1 through v1.3.

Cancelled subscription after this month (july).

Like many others, will reassess in a couple of years or after v2 release.

More than happy with FSX...also run FS9 for self learning aircraft systems (737) without scenery distractions. Once I have my head around it I shall buy an FSX version and enjoy all the bells & whistles.

Archived