PBY Catalina or DHC-6 Twin Otter ?

dominique

Hi guys

As stated in another post, I get back to simming after a 5 year break (simming since 1981 !) and building up a FSX world.

Aerosoft does a sale for a few planes for the weekend and I lean toward buying the PBY but the Twin Otter which seems a little old now (2008), looks good too.

So may I launch a new discussion in imitation of the Cub or the Scout thread ?

What do you think of both aircraft ?

I don't think there will be much controversy here. The Twin Otter is extremely disappointing, its VC is like an FSX default aircraft. The Catalina is a work of art, visually at least.

Hello dominique, and wellcome to you i cant comment on the Twotter but the Cat is a super aircraft indeed but a little large this might be another option of the beaver you get a great package with this one.

cheers

Iain

I always use the BN-2 Islander when flying in the Orbx sceneries. Flying in PNW and the Rockies with this bird is magnificiant.

Especially the STOL capacities of this plane makes it perfect for visiting the small grass fields.

Regards

-Fred-

Hi Dominique, I can't comment on the twin Otter, however, I have recently purchased Aerosoft's Catalina and can say I am extremely impressed with it. I love it in fact! The texture quality is superb, in particular the VC. The soundset is really immersive with the thundering sounds of the engines down to the water lapping around the fuselage when in water. As for flight dynamics, who knows, as I've never flown in the RW, but as far as I'm concerned, it flies very nicely too.

They are two different beasts. The Twotter shows its age, so the Catalina would be the better choice now. There is a new Twotter in development however, which I'm looking forward to very much.

Like Sundancer, I have the BN-2 Islander, though I haven't flown it much yet, since I've only just got it. It's STOL performance should be good for FTX airfields.

The best news is that you can get a free copy if you take out a sub to PC Pilot. :)

As mentioned above, Aerosoft should release New Twotter later this year (Hopefully). I have the current one but am looking forward to the revamped version. So you could get that one when its released.

Others have covered the territory on the original pair (Catalina=fantastic, Twotter=dated and about to be replaced, hopefully).

I have the Hughes. It's quirky, and I love quirky planes, but I almost never fly it. It's a beast. It wasn't exactly a commuter plane, after all. If you dig historical aircraft, nicely modeled, with unusual cockpits, then you'll like it. I fly the LH Skylark more, and it fits in that same quirky/historical niche.

I also very much like the BN-2 Islander, but that's an odd plane to throw into the conversation given that the OP is about an Aerosoft sale.

I purchased both. Speaking only as a casual, part-time virtual flyer:

The Twin Otter belongs firmly in the FS9 camp. A complete waste of money and bad temper.

The PBY Catalina looks much better and is way more fun.

Have fun with the PBY, its a great bird. Fly it with 'realisitc' mode for best experience, you'll wish you had an extra pair of hands to operate the carb heat controls. Watch engine temps like a hawk.

I don't own the Catalina, but the Twin Otter. It's a real nice aircraft and I really enjoy flying in FSX with this addon.

Yes, texture quality is not good, but after downloading new, sharper vc textures via the aerosoft-forum, it was better.

STOL capabilities are also great, you can land everywhere you want.

Twin Otter is very enjoyable flying around backwaters and short strips. I had purchased an alternate sound set however unusually preferred the original stock sounds in this case. Lots of great repaints available too. Good luck with your decision. Cheers.

Mark,

Thanks for the superb Cat review, very informative. Also, several months ago, I watched your video on the Easy GPS Keypad and more or less copied your setup! Works great!

Thanks! I still use the GPS setup on its own screen but I discovered you need to not make it bigger than the screen (which is shown in the video), as this seems to mess up the video driver. That's for nVidia, so can't speak for ATI.

I just wanted to draw attention to this awesome post in the Aerosoft Catalina forum. This shows how to get control of everything in the Catalina cockpit for mapping to your buttons, panels or keyboard! I tried out the carb heat switches, and it works brilliantly. (Requires FSUIPC.)

Archived