ORBX textures

fatboy84

Hi all

I'm not a customer yet, but looking at the NRM textures in the product preview shots, i'm kinda disapointed

I thought ORBX has custom textures, if that is so, then why does they look like default ones ?

I know this is photoreal, but look at the colors

http://imageshack.us...44/glacier.jpg/

Where is that white-yellowish of the peaks in ORBX pictures? instead, what i see is that ugly greyish default rock colors and why the green is so dark, and not lighter and more vivid ?

Thank you

Hi Fatboy,

(Holger, Tim and/or Matt may wish to add to the following ...)

It may help if you can tell us which of the 60 promo shots you are referring to, for NRM.

I've just had a look at them all and can't find any that look like default textures. On that note, it may help to see which default textures you feel look similar.

In answer to your question, the textures are indeed custom, as is the landclass development, with some selected areas of photoreal blended to these.

Any "default" textures are fairly quickly eliminated during development, as they stand out horrifically!

"Slope calls" that FSX produces for rocky faces look different to landclass textures ... so perhaps this is what you mean?

There is a good reason for this, as becomes obvious when you see a stretched orthoimage placed over a vertically inclined slope!

With regard to the photoreal imagery, most of the vegetation colour balance on uncorrected orthoimagery is ... how does one put this? ... errr ... wrong.

Typically this results in excessive blue and cyan tinge, and over-saturated colours.

Sadly, this is often by developers resampled "as-is" into the sim in the belief that it reflects reality. I have often wondered if some developers have dyschromatopsia!

Some of the mountainous features in NRM and CRM have been placed in photoreal form, but the colours have been carefully adjusted with the in sim appearance matched to that of photos taken from planes.

I think a dictionary will be my next purchase Ian.

There're a couple of ways to skin this particula cat Fatboy.

There is a very easy and quick way of altering the colours Ian if you find after purchasing you still don't like them and that's to tweak your monitor's, or nVidia settings brightness adjustments up a little.

Another thing that you can invest in after getting the scenery is nbseries which can be adjusted to lighten it up a little.

Its quite subtle but personally, I also find the FTX North America colours in their raw state a little darker than I would like for my taste but as I use my monitor also for photography I have had to calibrate it so that the printer shows what I see on the screen. nbseries alone has done it for me.

John

Ok, I admit that photoreal image is not high quality nor well color-balanced

But...

Look at this picture of Glacier Mountains

Posted Image

Look at the contrast between colors of the plain, forest, peaks

FTX NRM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

FSX Default

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

To me it appears that Microsoft has done a better job to contrast the different types of terrain

Those peaks look much closer to the real ones in the photoreal image than ORBX which is disapointing :-[

As a final note

In PNW product page i found this picture, it appears that is photo blended in the terrain, anyway that is how peaks should look like

Posted Image

Why i said the textures look like FSX default ?

Well ... if anyone can spot a difference between this image and the NRM pictures above ...

Posted Image

Certain peaks are made from orthoimagery but correcting orthoimagery for 5 seasons is not feasibly for every single peak. Others have to be done using the landclass method in which custom textures are used but still in conjunction with the landclass system which simply cannot provide the detail that orthoimagery does.

I really can't believe that there's someone who likes the default FSX textures more than ORBX PNW textures... ???

But if so, there's a simple (and cheap) solution for you: Stay happy with default FSX and don't buy PNW... ;D

Regards

Bernd

Ok seems like a missunderstanding here

First, i was talking about NRM area (PNW image was just an example of contrasting colors)

Second, i didn't said that FSX textures are of a better quality, just that they seem to provide more contrast betwen different types of terrain

Third, i know that it's not possible to create every peak in photoreal textures, that's not the point

I just wanted to point out the fact that from the preview pictures of NRM there are no peaks visible, like there were no custom textures made for those rocky peaks, it seems as if there are no peaks at all, everywhere it's the same underlying green textures similar to those in FSX covered by trees, and that's all there is sadly

I just hoped that, since it's called the Rocky Mountains, i would see some "rocks" in the pictures, but it seems that there are no custom textures for those "rocks" or peaks, call them whatever u like, and also a custom landclass that calls those textures for

Like i said before, that's too bad, i think a set of custom textures for those peaks in Glacier National Park and not only, could have been poossible

The way it looks now (green textures covered with trees everywhere) there are no peaks visible

It's a shame though, as from the pictures the rest of the region looks amazing, urban & rural areas, autogen, improved airports etc...

Hope I made my point, sorry if i upset someone

Hi there,

it's quite possible that the locations shown in the NRM previews look quite different in the actual product. That's because the websites for the products are generally set up about 6 weeks before release (when pre-pay starts) while the development team is still madly working on landclass, textures, roads, etc. Thus, I'd suggest browsing through the user screenshots and videos for a better look at the final product.

Cheers, Holger

A bit unfair to post that last screenie, a professionally set up real life shot. After all, we are talking about a $50 flight simulator here.. I think I had better shut up now. Teecee.

That wasn't my intention, sorry, i really apreciate what ORBX team has done for FS community, and i'm considering to buy some regions

Me again,

here's a close-to-release screenshot set that I liked: http://www.orbxsyste...-a-part2-16pic/

Clearly, there's an upper treeline with a believable transition from subalpine forest to alpine meadows to rock to snow & ice.

Cheers, Holger

OMG that was exactly what i was looking for, the pictures look great and very close to reality

The green land in the penultimate picture contrasting with the forest and the peaks in the further view it's what i was talking about, contrasting colors :)

Posted Image

Actually I wanted to re-post all the screenshots from the link because all are very good, but i think one should do :)

Thanks for the feedback on the website screenshots. I will make a point of updating the product page to reflect the final released product, instead of the beta shots we have on display now.

>:( Please ... do justice to the product SIR !!! ...... :D

Really impresive those shots that Mr. Holger gave me

Now if only a patch for NRM would be released ... and some pretty airports also .... ::);)

In those shots linked above I use REX2 for the cloud textures, and a mixture of the Orbx weather themes included with the region packs, plus of course the wonderful and free ENB bloom mod,

NRM is a hoot to fly around, with so many great airports and textures, if your not there already your missing out ;)

Yes Ian, in general the textures look very good now in those pictures that Holger gave me and the ones i found in the screenshots forum, and provide decent contrast, but i still wish there was a little more contrast between peaks, plains, and forest

Like in this picture

Posted Image

Also if you look at screenshots of the FTX airports, one thing immediately strikes me, the variety of colors and contrast between them, although i know there are photoreal textures involved, and i'm NOT saying that there should be photo textures also for the mountains, but instead a little more variety in texture colors and contrast between them, for example a little more brighter tones for rocky peaks would make them more visible from a distance and easier to distuingish from the surroundings

This is very close to what i think should be like

Posted Image

If i could i would edit those textures color tones myself, i would give those peaks a little more brightnes and maybe a touch of yellowish tone

Anyway, forgive me for loosing your precious time, i know u guys work very hard to provide these beautifull sceneries

Thank you (promise not to bother you guys anymore)

ps: maybe this will be considered for future mountain areas, or even a patch for NRM ? :D

Since were talking abotu the website, why do airports liek YSCB have the "NEW" logo when they were realsed a year ago?

Because I am slack and lazy, and have yet to update many areas of the website :)

I try to update the site whenever possible, in between other tasks and duties. Thanks for highlighting those 'new' tags; I'll endeavour to fix those ASAP.

@fatboy84,

You might also keep in mind that the real photo you're comparing looks like it has nice clear skies... while the Orbx screenshot has haze/clouds/etc... which would, naturally, affect the apparent contrast between the peaks and the flora... Throw some fog in your photo and see what happens...

I actually really enjoy the NRM textures. The best route I've flown is from any Calgary airport to Spokane, Washington. This takes you over all the different terrain NRM has to offer. Prairie land to foothills, mountains and over the arid areas of north east Washington State. I've flown this route a few times and quite enjoy it.

The Screenshot forum on here is the best source for seeing what FTX can do. You will see a lot more coverage of all the scenery packs in the Screenshot Forum with the latest updates as a lot of members on here keep their software up to date.

Cheers :D

Archived