European Scenery

brudgeon

I love the "low and slow" scenery experience using Orbx FTX Australia and PNW and I would like to experience Europe to the same degree of excellence. Flightim Store offers a package called NEXTMesh Europe FSX Vol 1. The scenery covers "the south of United Kingdom, Belgium, Nederlands, Luxembourg, west and south of Germany, Switzerland, west of Austria, north of Italy, Sardinia, Balearic and north of Spain". That's plenty for me!

Does anyone have practical experience of this software? Is the scenery quality good? Alternatively, you may be able to recommend something else.

Cheers, Brudgeon

FSS0105434

FSS0008748 etc

I love the "low and slow" scenery experience using Orbx FTX Australia and PNW and I would like to experience Europe to the same degree of excellence. Flightim Store offers a package called NEXTMesh Europe FSX Vol 1. The scenery covers "the south of United Kingdom, Belgium, Nederlands, Luxembourg, west and south of Germany, Switzerland, west of Austria, north of Italy, Sardinia, Balearic and north of Spain". That's plenty for me!

Does anyone have practical experience of this software? Is the scenery quality good? Alternatively, you may be able to recommend something else.

Cheers, Brudgeon

FSS0105434

FSS0008748 etc

It looks like just Mesh to me. I.e. elevation points, the scenery would have to come on top of it yet...

Cheers, Vlad

Cheers, Brudgeon

FSS0105434

FSS0008748 etc

Hey Brudgeon, as Vlad says, this is simply Mesh, not scenery as such. I made this mistake when first getting into FSX about twelve months ago. I bought it thinking it was scenery... mmm, very disappointing. I now fly with GEX and UTX Europe, which fills in the scenery and purchased Aerosoft airports in Europe and some from UK2000 for the UK. But all that said, IMO all of them combined fall way behind any of the scenery that the Orbx boys deliver!

Hello Brudgeon,

Europe, I'm sorry to say, hasn't really been catered for in FSX as a whole continent, certainly nowhere near as much as North America, Australia, etc, indeed, some end users have already commented that there appears to be a slight myth regarding the UTX and GEX Payware modules being called Europe, as they both only cover the Western half, the whole of the Eastern end and Russia haven't been included at all, although, I'm led to believe that UTX are doing another Eastern European mesh on its own in the future. If you go to various FSX France, FSX Italy, FSX Germany, websites, you can pick and choose homegrown content that each country has created for its own backyard. I can heartily recommend some of the Photoreal terrain for the French, Swiss, Bavarian and Italian Alps regions, including such famous mountains as The Matterhorn and Mont Blanc, for example, you can also get content for the whole of The Netherlands and Denmark, but, there are a lot of megabytes to clog up your hard-drive with. The majority of stuff created across Europe is more Photoreal than anything else, there's airports as well as scenery, and Payware organisations as well as freeware. I can certainly give you a number of websites to view if you wish to send me a PM as I'm unsure if I can advertise other people's wares on this forum, of course, I don't want to overstep the mark. There are different scenery areas for Czech Republic, Poland, Romania, Ukraine, Latvia, Russia, etc, etc, but, you would need to do a lot of looking to see if anything takes your fancy, and with the vast majority being freeware it won't cost you an arm and a leg, and if after you've installed it you find it doesn't meet your requirements it can be deleted at no cost, however, the fabulous high standard of quality that we have acquired with ORBX and UTX content, etc, may not feature as strongly as much in the European offerings.

It all depends on what you'd like, VFR / Photoreal stuff is ten a penny if you know where to look, and every country in Western Europe does have some scenery content available, from Turkey and Greece right across to Portugal.

Cheerz. Transport Steve.

i dont want to advertise products in here. For Europe there is not that much scenery. You can buy photo tapestry for whole Germany but its quite expensive and just one season. Also there are different sceneries for some countries but not nearly that good as those ORBX did. I am from Germany and if I want to fly at home I use UTX Europe and GEX Europe. That looks quite good. But it is far from ORBX quality.

EDIT: GEX is not providing scenery but changes the textures for the landclasses. But those are looking far better than the default ones.

Hello Brudgeon,

Europe, I'm sorry to say, hasn't really been catered for in FSX as a whole continent, certainly nowhere near as much as North America, Australia, etc, indeed, some end users have already commented that there appears to be a slight myth regarding the UTX and GEX Payware modules being called Europe, as they both only cover the Western half, the whole of the Eastern end and Russia haven't been included at all, although, I'm led to believe that UTX are doing another Eastern European mesh on its own in the future. If you go to various FSX France, FSX Italy, FSX Germany, websites, you can pick and choose homegrown content that each country has created for its own backyard. I can heartily recommend some of the Photoreal terrain for the French, Swiss, Bavarian and Italian Alps regions, including such famous mountains as The Matterhorn and Mont Blanc, for example, you can also get content for the whole of The Netherlands and Denmark, but, there are a lot of megabytes to clog up your hard-drive with. The majority of stuff created across Europe is more Photoreal than anything else, there's airports as well as scenery, and Payware organisations as well as freeware. I can certainly give you a number of websites to view if you wish to send me a PM as I'm unsure if I can advertise other people's wares on this forum, of course, I don't want to overstep the mark. There are different scenery areas for Czech Republic, Poland, Romania, Ukraine, Latvia, Russia, etc, etc, but, you would need to do a lot of looking to see if anything takes your fancy, and with the vast majority being freeware it won't cost you an arm and a leg, and if after you've installed it you find it doesn't meet your requirements it can be deleted at no cost, however, the fabulous high standard of quality that we have acquired with ORBX and UTX content, etc, may not feature as strongly as much in the European offerings.

It all depends on what you'd like, VFR / Photoreal stuff is ten a penny if you know where to look, and every country in Western Europe does have some scenery content available, from Turkey and Greece right across to Portugal.

Cheerz. Transport Steve.

Thanks, Transport Steve and Jan Tenner, for the info. It’s good to know that Australian talent is leading the world in FS scenery!

I’ll try some of your suggestions while I’m waiting for Orbx to tackle Europe which, I fancy, will be no time soon.

Safe flying, Brudgeon

Well, most of GB is catered for by the excellent Horizon VFR Photographic Scenery. However it doesn't end there. In addition its necessary to get both the payware and freeware airports and a few other addons to make it worthwhile. Scotflight have an excellent product for Scotland that works well with the photographic scenery that's available, and UTX Europe is very good for things like bridges etc that are not well rendered with the photographic scenery, so altogether its quite a package to build up.

In my opinion, well worth it but it can take some time and money to build up the comprehensive coverage.

For Europe I use a combination of GEX/UTX and Senery Tec. Not exactly realistic but for anyone not too familiar with Europe not too bad. For example, most of the famous places are depicted, but excuse me for saying so, typically American, not necessarily in exactly the right locations! UTX corrects a lot of that though but not unfortunately, the misplaced buildings.

John

I have in the last 2 weeks installed my Euro airports back in for the 737 that might one day come out, wanted to fly Ryanair. The only add-on Scenery I use for Europe is

UTX Europe

Not sure at all about the textures in GEX.

UTX Europe is very good. As a matter of fact it was JV that recommended it to me. But Orbx is by far the best, its just nice to fly where your home is :)

UTX is a great improvement. I live in Germany and I noticed that in my part even the bigger citys were absolutely wrong not to mention roads. After installing UTX I could navigate just with my knowledge of real life roads and cities. GEX is also an improvement because the textures are way sharper and the colors are very saturated. I ve owned three airports and have some freeware airports. Thats all I got for Europe and I wont buy any further (till Orbx is doing Europe of course ;) ).

It looks like just Mesh to me. I.e. elevation points, the scenery would have to come on top of it yet...

Cheers, Vlad

The inner workings of FSX etc are something of a mystery to me, I just enjoy the simming. Can you please explain in simple terms what "mesh" is?

Thanks, Brudgeon

mesh is the "3d model" of the topography. so basically the shapes of the mountains, hills, valleys etc... like the previous poster said, it comes from elevation data. so it will make the shapes of the mountains better, but you need other stuff to have a full package.

Landclass - basically tells the sim where the forests are, where the farmland is, where the cities and small towns are located etc...

Vector Data - shapes of the rivers, coastlines, road and rail networks etc...

Textures - the "pictures" that are placed to give you the illusion of substance- i.e where the landclass says there's a forest the sim displays a forest texture from a digital image. is also annotated with autogen to give you the buildings and trees

Airports and points of interest- pretty self explainatory.

ORBX's regions contain all of this. for years, and in other areas of the world you were expected to buy many seperate products. there are many companies that supply mesh data, UTX will give you the vector data, and landclass for urban areas, GEX for textures, and Scenery tech, or cloud nine for vegetation landclass. all of these products cover a huge area, and because of that they are reasonably accurate, but you lose a lot of local "character" ORBX does much smaller areas, but since everything is integrated it can be much more realistic.

The inner workings of FSX etc are something of a mystery to me, I just enjoy the simming. Can you please explain in simple terms what "mesh" is?

Thanks, Brudgeon

Have a look here, sorted by country. There are most of the free sceneries available for download from various web sites compiled there.

http://www.freewarescenery.com/fsx.html

Perhaps pick an area to fly within and add whatever is available, install and see for youself.

Excellent, truly superb, freebee from OZx website by Maurizio covering Tuscany, Elba and Liguria. Lots of payware of various quality covering Germany, whole of Austria and Switzerland. Just use G. to find these things... I'm somewhat skeptical reg. GEX - it may be better than default MS scenery, but not by much. Still the same infestation with unrealistic village and forrest landclass tiles... :)

Cheers, Vlad

Ehm, ehm... we're not supposed to mention other brands etc., as it is FTX support forum... Hence my reference to G. etc. ;)

Vlad

Thus the reason why I refrain from commenting until the day ORBX announces scenery for that region. :D

I know it will take a while so I look forward to New Zealand and the rest of the North American sceneries (Southern Rocky Mountains, Northern Rocky Mountains) in the mean time. Rome wasn't built in one day ;)

Cheers Guys

Archived