OZx to re-integrate with Orbx

Jay Kae

Following discussions between Orbx and the OZx committee, a decision has been reached to re-integrate the OZx team back into the Orbx development team. For those who are not aware, the OZx team began life as the freeware development arm of the Orbx development team back in 2007, but was spun off due to the increasing management burden.

The freeware developers will continue to work completely autonomously within the Orbx infrastructure, and all decisions about projects and design will be left to the freeware committee. This move will place no additional burden on the current Orbx team since they won't have direct management input into freeware projects. Of course the advantage to the freeware developers is having the rich Orbx libraries at their disposal and access to the extensive technical expertise and resources of the payware development team.

There is another benefit in that budding young scenery developers who produce a high quality project may be offered the opportunity to publish their work as Orbx payware addons. OZx has in the past fostered many of the talented Orbx developers and this tradition will continue.

The OZx portal will continue to grow and evolve as it hosts one of the finest repaint collections on the net, and many other freeware projects will continue to be hosted as part of that popular community.

Signed, Ken, Ed, Jay and Orbx CEO John 'Koorby' Venema

Needless to say we are very excited and this development will bring so much to the development of freeware airfields, this in my honest opinion is the best thing we could have done to ensure freeware development with the shortest route available for years to come!

Quick question. In time will the OzX and Orbx libraries be merged into one so that we only have to keep an eye on on library to keep up to date?

At the moment we are currently seeing one more final OZx release, after that there will be no more updates to OZx libraries. So yes, in time there will be only one library (ORBX's)to keep updated.

Will OzX still need funding by donation?

Just a reminder that OZx will still be very much in business, apart from there ever growing repaint library, there are plans to expand on the online flying part of our hobby, we already have a large no of regular friday night online flyers, with a flight manager and an ATC controller, we hope to implement a flying school, a formation flying team, and obtain the services of what we will classify as orthorised OZX flying instructors. I'm sure there are other aspects yet to explore and we are open to input from all.

cheers

Ken

That is up to John, if John says it is ok, I will make it so asap

John, if that is ok with you where you would you like me to put the link (little graph I suppose that is clickable)

I guess the absence of a response is as good as a no.

Not to worry - will always have my shortcut in the Favourites.

Andy b

• 2 weeks later...

Archived