Sandy Bridge is an industry Game-changer [MERGED -- All Sandy Discussion Here]

It's huge. I have been reading all the online articles I can find in English, as well as dozens of others translated out of Chinese and other languages from around the world, written by reviewers, geeks, gamers and benchmarkers. The unanimous opinion is that Sandy bridge is far and away the biggest computing performance jump in history. Even with very early bios and infantile chipset drivers in first generation motherboards, the performance increases and cost advantages are mind boggling.

Read this From PureOC

http://www.pureoverclock.com/review.php?id=1178&page=13

"As we mentioned, Sandy Bridge is pretty much a game-changer in more ways than one. We've seen the non-threaded chips throw down some amazing performance results, even challenging the multithreaded Core i7 900 chips on several occasions. And the multithreaded 2600K, well, it's just an absolute monster, devouring everything in its path, especially when overclocked. And for the price, that's just icing on the cake.

While the 2400 is a great budget chip, the 2500K is quite a jump up for little extra cash. The unlocked multiplier and Turbo will allow most chips to run anywhere from 4.3GHz to 4.6GHz and trade blows with a multithreaded Core i7 900 series CPU. That is awesome, no two ways about it. And if you need maximum horsepower, then the multithreaded 2600K is a behemoth for around $320, effectively neutering the Core i7 900 chips. And in many cases, a 2600K at 4.7GHz can run with a 980X at 4.2GHz while costing $700 less. P55 and X58 are now essentially obsolete. If you've been waiting for an upgrade, Sandy Bridge is your ticket to bliss.

Posted Image

We've seen how Intel has flipped overclocking on its head, locking down certain chips and unlocking others. More importantly, couple the minimal wiggle room on the BCLK and multiplier wall, and the days of squeezing some insane performance out of a cheap CPU are about to become a distant memory. Even sub-zero cooling is about to become irrelevant, leaving overclocking enthusiasts with a very bitter taste in their mouths. Intel's business decision is understandable, as the OC community really only comprises a very small market share anyways. The vast majority of the market doesn't understand or care about such things. Blasphemous to some, I know. But the sobering reality is that the Turbo feature pretty much renders overclocking almost obsolete. Even further, we've seen ASUS' P8P67 motherboards have an auto overclocking feature that will max out any chip within a matter of minutes, taking out all the guesswork of overclocking to begin with.

In the end, it's interesting to take an educated guess as to the spinoffs of what these Sandy Bridge chips will create. Sub-zero cooling? Irrelevant. Water cooling? Not necessary. Overclocking guides? Optional. The cooling and motherboard markets may be affected the most, as air cooling may now become the new king. And pushing insane bus speeds on motherboards will no longer be marketable for manufacturers.

Sandy Bridge is sort of reminiscent of cruise control on a car. Just set it and forget it. You needn't worry about speeding up or down, it's already taken care of for you. And with Intel's Turbo now far more mature, and working in conjunction with C1E, EIST, and Speedstep, the power is at your fingertips but you don't even need to touch it. It's just there.

These new chips are impressive. Most impressive. Considering what we call aggressive pricing, the value is perhaps even more astonishing. The 2400 and 2500K are knocking on AMD's doorstep in the realm of "computing value", and the performance of these Sandy Bridge CPUs blow away the equivalent AMD chips. That will make things very interesting in the marketplace, that's for certain.

Call them evolutionary, call them revolutionary, but whatever you call these Sandy Bridge processors, be sure to call them fast. Da*n fast."

Unquote

Kind regards,

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The new mobile chips are a big step up in performance, but it isn't the same for the desktop lineup. The performance increase compared to Westmere is more evolutionary than revolutionary. The significant point is that you're getting that performance at an un-Westmere-like price. This is fantastic for the consumer, though I don't think I'd go as far as saying it's a game-changer.

Hopefully it won't be long before the early adopters on these forums give us some FSX numbers.

Cheers,

Mike

Welcome back from holidays JV, I trust you are well rested.

Yep, the next generation of hardware will eat up FSX, and just imagine if MS get FLIGHT right, it should be FS nirvana :)

Looking forward an interesting year ahead!!

I must say, Stephen you have an amazing ability to discover, explore, explain, simplify, entertain, and highlight any topic you get in your sights. I think you are part lawyer, poet, writer and entertainer as your posts are excellent. Enjoyed by all!

Another encouraging post by John,(below). I have invested a few green backs with FSX, so, if S/Bridge can make it rock en roll like it was ment to be, be great for everyone! The new faster ram, and SSD IBIS drives another plus, thus the light at the end of the tunnel for FSX is brighter.

I refer to my 'Money is the best tweak' post of two years ago where I said the hardware would easily catch and surpass FSX's requirements. A 2600 + 580GTX + Quad Raid 0 SSD will make mincemeat out of even our most demanding scenery product.

Alienware (aka: heap of ****) computer for sale

One careful owner, but need to sell due to Sandy Bridge spec computer investment

.....Seriously though, this is what we have all been waiting for.. Just imagine a FSX world with no more config tweaking.. We can get on with flying for once1

Cant wait!

.. Just imagine a FSX world with no more config tweaking.. We can get on with flying for once...Cant wait!

Now you hold on just a minute there!  :o None of the articles said anything about not tweaking the CFG file! No more tweaking to compensate for hardware deficiencies?  :'( 

Then again, there is always the perforance enhancers and accelerators like highmemfix, 8.5 LOD radius, the tree tweak to 6,000 per grid etc., plus whatever new ones we can discover like enabling cloud shadows and trees blowing in the wind, to make use of all the additional horsepower!  ;D

Look on the bright side! Before long, if we really try, we could have the Sandy Bridge's so overwhelmed with new demands that FSX will be stuttering to a crawl once again, and we will be back looking for the magical tweak-of-the-week!  ;D Then it will be Ivy Bridge to the rescue!

After all, that is what the FSX CFG file is there for!!! Right?  ;)

Kind regards,

PS: Just kidding (sort of)!

.. Just imagine a FSX world with no more config tweaking.. We can get on with flying for once...Cant wait!

Now you hold on just a minute there!  :o None of the articles said anything about not tweaking the CFG file! No more tweaking to compensate for hardware deficiencies?  :'(  Then again, there is always the perforance enhancers and accerators like highmemfix, 8.5 LOD radius, the tree tweak to 6,000 per grid etc., plus whatever new ones we can discover and make use of with all the additional horsepower!  ;D Before long we will have it so overwhelmed with new demands that it will be stuttering to a crawl!  That is what it is there for!!!  ;)

Kind regards,

Sorry, just getting excited!  ;D

But reading JV's post and previous thread, he does mention about not having to tweak to get best performance out of fsx and that hardware will catch up.. It is indeed getting nearer to this day!

Cheers :)

Sorry, just getting excited!  ;D

But reading JV's post and previous thread, he does mention about not having to tweak to get best performance out of fsx and that hardware will catch up.. It is indeed getting nearer to this day!

Cheers :)

Being serious now, you are 100% absolutely correct. As far as the hardware is concerned, no more need to compensate for hardware deficiencies. Sandy Bridge will accomplish that and then some.

There will always be problems that are not solved by hardware because they are not hardware problems, but caused by FSX software deficiencies and/or limitations. Orbx has done a lot to compensate for that with their software corrections and revisions.

For a few of us compulsive types, perhaps a wee touch and polish here and there, and perfection will be nearly at hand.

Kind regards,

I have to agree with John V. here, see with my old rig I was chasing my tail all the time trying to find a new miraculous tweak to make FSX run with my old hardware.....some worked better than other some did nothing....

Now with this new rig let me tell you something....tweaking is a thing of the past....the only one I use (and they are not a tweak because they put more stress on the hardware) is load radius at 6.5 and TBM at 120.....oh almost forgot....texture max load at 4096......

I am all for tweaking IF (like for me before) you don't have the hardware to run FSX like silk....

Now..... having a Sandy Bridge is not the end of the world for FSX (I remember when the i7 came out), what about the delivery system....do you think by having a Sandy Bridge with rams 2300MHz  9-10-10-28 (loose timing) like the new one just released from G.Skill  http://www.overclock3d.net/news/memory/g_skill_shows_off_ripjawsx_memory_kits_for_sandy_bridge/1 and a Velocirraptor or a regular SSD  to feed it will make FSX run better.....think again....

Like John said you have to have the best of the best as far as hardware, here is a small vid. with my rig pushed to the max....I don't see the stuttering on the original vid. like I see on youtube...don't know why I see some on youtube ...anyway this will give you a good idea of what can be done with high end hardware....I got hit with cross wind at landing 

Mr Spirit Flyer as your knowledge appears boundless ;), I am in the process of researching my next system (like many of the other posters) and everytime I nearly get my mind made up and just before spending my sheckles someone posts a new piece of hardware :-\

What sort of MB would be suitable for this Sandy Bridge 2600K CPU? Noting my choices hereunder.

Apart from this CPU question I wonder if you could help make up my mind.

My choices are:

Motherboard 1. Gigabyte X58A-UD5 or 2. ASUS P6X58D-E X58 (presuming suitable for Sandy Bridge; do I need to be concerned here about 1366 pin?

RAM   1.  G.Skill PI 12800CL7T DDR3 1600Mhz 7.8.7.24  3 x 2Gig  3x240pin  or 2.  Corsair TR3X6GIG00086GB DDR3 1600Mhz 8.8.8.24 3 x 2Gig  3x240pin

PSU 1. Antec 1000 or  2.  Thermaltek Tough Power XT875

Case 1. Antec 900  or 2. Thermaltek V9

Graphics 1.  Any name brand NVidia GTX480 1536MB  or  2. Gainward Golden Sample GTX460 GDDR5 2048MB (2048MB????)

Also, a side note, what is the difference between DDR3 RAM and DDR5 RAM ?

I want to buy any 10,000rpm HHD (any suggestions?) and will also probably buy a Patriot Inferno 120GB SATA 2 SSD

And then to top it all off, will FSX benefit from 64bit version of Windows 7. Thanks mate.  Dan

Mr Spirit Flyer as your knowledge appears boundless ;), I am in the process of researching my next system (like many of the other posters) and everytime I nearly get my mind made up and just before spending my sheckles someone posts a new piece of hardware :-\

What sort of MB would be suitable for this Sandy Bridge 2600K CPU? Noting my choices hereunder.

My choices are:

Motherboard 1. Gigabyte X58A-UD5 or 2. ASUS P6X58D-E X58 (presuming suitable for Sandy Bridge; do I need to be concerned here about 1366 pin?

RAM   1.  G.Skill PI 12800CL7T DDR3 1600Mhz 7.8.7.24  3 x 2Gig  3x240pin  or 2.  Corsair TR3X6GIG00086GB DDR3 1600Mhz 8.8.8.24 3 x 2Gig  3x240pin

Graphics 1.  Any name brand NVidia GTX480 1536MB  or  2. Gainward Golden Sample GTX460 GDDR5 2048MB (2048MB????)

I want to buy any 10,000rpm HHD (any suggestions?) and will also probably buy a Patriot Inferno 120GB SATA 2 SSD

And then to top it all off, will FSX benefit from 64bit version of Windows 7. Thanks mate.  Dan

You will need a motherboard with a socket 1155 and the new memory for it.

I'm ready for Sandy. I'm sick and tired of having to disable traffic and lower my setting when approaching a major city.

I'll be one of the first in line once the results are in. The only results I care about is FSX and how well it will perform with Sandy.

Very entertaining thread, Stephen.  8)

My choices are:

As Alain said, Mobo and RAM are wrong.  You'll need a Mobo based on the P67 chipset from Intel, something like the Asus P8P67 Deluxe.  The new boards are DUAL channel, not TRIPLE channel RAM, so a 6GB kit is a waste.  Get the equivalent 4GB kit, or as fast as you can lay your hands on if you're overclocking.

I'm looking at a build soon too, so been researching my little socks off  ;D

Derek

Guest J van E

I'm ready for Sandy. I'm sick and tired of having to disable traffic and lower my setting when approaching a major city.

I'll be one of the first in line once the results are in. The only results I care about is FSX and how well it will perform with Sandy.

I wouldn't buy ANYTHING before someone has actually tested FSX on Sandy. I've heard to many 'this it it!'s in my life to really believe this is it. I read quite some test now and altough there is no denying Sandy is sweet, there is also no denying that in some occasions other CPU's are sweeter. Sandy doesn't beat everything that's out there, so I wonder why everyone says it's a game-changer... Seems (as I have read) indeed more of an evolution than a revolution. Besides, we all know FSX is a weird animal who does whatever he/she (?) wants...

Do you all really expect that Sandy will run FSX with ALL (and I mean ALL!!!) sliders maxed out completely AND loads of addons?

Let me be clear: I really hope it's all true, but I ain't a kid anymore and life has teached me some rough lessons. :D

Apart from all this: we are never satisfied... so even if Sandy can run FSX extremely well, we will start editing cfg's to see (for instance) what LOD radius is possible and we will be complaining about LOD radius 20 giving stutters... I know my simmers... ;)

I to am waiting to see what this new tech offers in terms of FSX performance.

There are no true gaming benchmarks out yet (forget synthetic benchmarks) and as we all know by now FSX is not your average game. Most games respond positively to any increase in CPU speed but FSX just seems to laugh and say 'is that the best you can do'.

Once somebody has taken the plunge and actually tested Sandy Bridge with FSX then maybe we have a winner, but my feeling is FSX will maybe give us 4-5 fps extra if we are lucky with this processor.

Is that worth the price of a new motherboard and everything that goes with it? Not in my opinion.

Bryan.

Here is my take on this, if you are upgrading from a 775 socket to a Sandy Bridge and you can't spend as much money as you would like to I'll say go for it BUT if you are like me and when you upgrade you have to have the best of the best at the time of your upgrade I'll say don't go for it cause I'll bet you a lot my setup can eat this Sandy Bridge running FSX for breakfeast.

Here is a review i7-2600 vs 980X...please note that they compared the i7-2600 overclocked at 5.1GHz with 1.6v (eeeee) and the 980x at stock speed....now talk to me about been bias..pffff..and even then in some of the test the 980x was winning at stock speed.......now raised the overclock on the i7 980x like I did with mine at 4677.4 GHz and I'll bet you anything I'll leave the Sandy Bridge in the dust...

I can hear you already.....the 980 is a six core and the Sandy Bridge is a 4 core......well...are we not suppose to go after what will make FSX run the best ....so if it's a six core so be it.

http://www.kitguru.net/components/cpu/zardon/can-the-intel-core-i7-2600k-5-1ghz-slay-its-980x-goliath/

So far some of the review I read did compare the Sandy Bridge with other i7 CPU but nothing with the 980x overclocked.

Look closely at their benchmark...stock speed with the i7-2600 at 3.4GHz vs stock speed with the 980x at 3.33GHz and the winner is... ;D  the i7 980x....thank you.

Quote from the article....(BS article if you ask me)

“Can Intel’s 2600k beat the awesome Core i7 980 Extreme Edition?“

Compared to the fastest desktop processor in the world, at stock speed, the 2600k is almost 30% behind. Using KitGuru’s building skills, we cranked the voltage to 1.6, rolled the clocks up to a steady 5.1Ghz and watched it breeze past the Extreme Edition by more than 10%.

This is a simply stunning result and we’ll say it again, in the simplest terms possible, “At just £250, the overclocked 2600k processor can out-render the £800 i7 980 Extreme Edition at 3.33GHz, straight from the boxâ€.

If the Core i7 980 Extreme Edition makes the mistake of running at stock speed when taking on the 2600k processor, then it’s in for a serious surprise.  KitGuru’s overclocked 2600k happily takes the Core i7 980x outside for a swift beating, not only in hardcore rendering tasks like Cinebench 11.5, but also in the SiSoft Sandra tests – including the Arithmetic, Multimedia and Cryptography sections. In doing so, it barely goes above 80 degrees. Amazing.

WTF they are comparing apples with oranges here.....HAwawawwwwww

No offence to you Stephen, I respect you a lot but the Sandy Bridge to me is not a game changer at all, not for FSX.

Well, the reason they're bringing up the comparison, in my opinion, comes down to one important thing that will change the game: price. This a mid range processor. When pushing it, people will be able to reach performance level that were reserved to early adopters that could spend without much of a limit. That's quite game changing in my opinion. It's quite reminiscent of the arrival of the first core 2 duo cpus.

Whether Sandy bridge is a revolution at the very high end is not going to be answered by the 2600K anyway, that's the role of the socket 2011, let's wait and see what will happen then. My bet is on some quite spectacular performance (but not necessarily the best value, just like the 980X isn't best bang for bucks)

Well, the reason they're bringing up the comparison, in my opinion, comes down to one important thing that will change the game: price. This a mid range processor. When pushing it, people will be able to reach performance level that were reserved to early adopters that could spend without much of a limit. That's quite game changing in my opinion. It's quite reminiscent of the arrival of the first core 2 duo cpus.

Whether Sandy bridge is a revolution at the very high end is not going to be answered by the 2600K anyway, that's the role of the socket 2011, let's wait and see what will happen then. My bet is on some quite spectacular performance (but not necessarily the best value, just like the 980X isn't best bang for bucks)

Agree BUT lets not forget we are looking for something who will run FSX as good as possible so the 980x is the best bang for the bucks in this case, now if you'r not a simmer and you don't care about FSX the Sandy Bridge is the best bang for the bucks hands down.

Socket 2011 should be better for FSX but again we will have to wait and see what kind of CPU intel will release for that socket...6 8 core??

This 2011 socket will replace the 1366 socket, another thing bugging me about the 1155 socket is the fact that they use DDR3 2x2GB dual chanel and not triple chanel for the memory.....

...the Sandy Bridge to me is not a game changer at all, not for FSX.

Right on, right on, right on!  I'm running at 4.25ghz with the best GPU I can get my hands on and still get FPS in the teens at KSFO.  Will running at 4.7ghz give me a playable FPS?  Possibly but what we are dealing with is 1) a bunch of broken legacy code in terms of todays hardware and 2) an app that we are asking to do the impossible in terms of mimicking the real word in real-time and in high fidelity.

MS Flight where are you and can you help??

jja

For most of us we reach a point of no return with GPU and CPU because of the inherent design problems with FSX.

However with that set-up you should do better than that at KSFO.

Check the usual things:  if you have all of the sliders to the right, it will still kill fps, and also the TERRAIN_MAX etc for trees and autogen tweak for the cfg file resolves some mathematical issues for the GPU.

Maybe FLIGHT will be much better designed.

Socket 2011 should be better for FSX but again we will have to wait and see what kind of CPU intel will release for that socket...6 8 core??

Both, and it won't be cheap i bet... 8 cores at 5 GHz, that's serious business  ;D

Maybe they find a way to push the FSB further as well. Will this be a X67 chip then ? Not sure...

Picture    http://www.nordichardware.com/news/69-cpu--chipset/40764-sandy-bridge-e-lga-2011-socket-pictured.html

Some are saying it will use DDR4 memory (4 chanel...  :o ) that I'm not sure yet but it's a possibility, we should know by October this year...I hope...  http://www.overclockers.com/intel-replace-lga1366-socket-2011/

So eight core at 5GHz with DDR4 2500MHz + 8-8-8-24 , I got a very good mobo, CPU and memory for sale....  ;D

Yeap! That's a good review, I saw it already, Sandy Bridge is a wonderfull CPU for the money, let's face it around $300.00 and you can overclock it up to 5GHz you can't beat that if you don't mind been on DDR3 2 chanel.....2 x 2GB...it's a fantastic CPU for all game but FSX IMHO.

...it's a fantastic CPU for all game but FSX IMHO.

Alain, you don't know that. You can't know that, because that has not been tested yet and factually established. Not to worry in any case, it is no threat to the massively overclocked 980X for the title as the biggest of the big, the best of the best, and the fastest of the fast, cost the most, has the most cores, requires the most elaborate support structure and rocks the FSX world the hardest etc etc. Everyone knows that. So relax, it's still king of the world! :)

The 2600K may be just a little scrawny no account, over rated little chip on a second or third class motherboard with an insufficient amount of ram with too high timings in comparison. Yeah sure, but what it can or cannot do in FSX to bring fantastic performance to those with limited funds who have up to now has been a little disappointed, is an uncertainty...yet.

That will change.

Kind regards,

Hi! Stephen, I was just refering to the review I posted earlier between the 2600 and the 980x, like I said before the Sandy Bridge is the best one money can buy today for whom can't spend as much as they would like for a gamer's rig...I agree...

If I was not a simmer using FSX I would have not built the rig I have right now, I'm not trying to brag about my rig when I make a comment about the 2600 not been as good as the 980x .....I'm just saying that I built my rig with FSX in mind, nobody need a SSD PCI-e card for games or a 980x or 2000MHz memory 7-7-7-21 if you are playing regular game and you are not benchmarking.....BUT so far I'm with J.V. about FSX....

Keepimg FSX in mind I can't wait to see what the 2011 socket would do, I can't imagine 8 core at 5GHz + DDR4 memory (speculation on the memory) at 2500MHz with a tight timing and who know....we may see a GTX 600 soon....... ;D

I agree with everything you'r saying Stephen but I would hate to see somebody changing is i7 950 for a new rig based on the Sandy Bridge for FSX and see the same perf. as he had......

Just saying....

By the way if my source are right you should see the Sandy Bridge in stores on the 9th of this month....

John, while I agree on the fact that technology is going fast and prices are not, which is good for our credit cards, I still want to see it to believe it.

Present I7 9xx with a 285 Video card are more than an overkill for FSX THEORETICALLY. Then you plug it in and get some good fps but still have the occasional hiccup and then you have to pull back on your sliders in some areas. I don't know about you, but I feel so disappointed when in the middle of a silk smooth flight you get that first stutter .... Reality illusion is gone for good in that very moment, not good for us simmers.

I think the problem lies with FSX: I have a feeling that you can give it all the power you want and it will eat it up and still find a way of spoiling your simming experience. Being an analyst and a former developer (for 25 years), I know that powerful hardware is hardly a cure for obsolete software.

Unless, of course, "powerful" means "a couple of orders of magnitude more powerful than needed", in which case you will still have the hiccups and stutters, but they will be relegated, so to speak, "to the fifth decimal place or even further down", so you won't even have a chance of noticing.

So our question could be: "are we really there?" "Is this new architecture going to give us such an overkill?" The benchmark I read say no, especially on those applications that can't get a good boost from multithreading, HD video integration and other novelties.

But these are still numbers: when I hear people talking about their new super duper hifi amplifier + cd I say: "come and listen to my Reymio + PassLabs system: believe to your ears not to the numbers" The same goes for Sandy : let's see what happens, I am very curious and after all, those of my generation were all in love with Sandy (Olivia Newton John in "Grease") so, let's hope for the best!

Archived