Cunderdin - under developement

Cunderdin is located approximately 150 km ENE of Perth on the Great Eastern Highway. It is a typical WA wheatbelt town with a population of under 800 people.

Posted Image

Google earth image showing Cunderdin airfield and township

One of the first recorded Europeans into this area (1864) was surveyor/explorer Charles Hunt. He had been sent to explore the country 300 miles east of York, looking for the pastoral land and water supplies identified along the route of Henry Lefroy's '63 expedition into the Coolgardie area. He gave a good report of the grasslands that Lefroy had sighted and these were later named after Governor Hampton. He set out again in 1865 intending to clear a track for sheep and cattle. The party sunk over twenty wells along this route but severe drought eventually forced them back. On this expedition, Hunt blazed a tree at a place later named White Hope where gold was discovered in 1919 and the route the party followed eventually became known as 'The Old Goldfields Road'.

Initially after Hunt's survey the trail was followed by sandalwood cutters, itinerant shepherds and hopeful pastoralists. In 1865 one of the early settlers, E J Clarkson, was killed by Aborigines and it was decided to establish a police outpost at Youndegin - some 10 miles south of the present town. The police outpost, which is still standing, was built out of stone and mud with a thatched roof and a nearby York gum tree was used as the lockup.

In 1880 Constable Alfred Eaton arrived to take up duties. The goldrush of 1888 saw miners pouring through the area on their way to the goldfields. Eaton, always the entrepreneur, built the Youndegin Arms to cater for the passing trade. Among the food it offered was parrot pie - which was considered something of a delicacy.

It looked at this time as though Youndegin would be the major centre in the area. The arrival of the railway stopped all that. The railway passed to the north of Youndegin and by 1894 (the year the railway arrived) the pub had closed down and Mr Eaton had left the force, taken up land, and become the first farmer in the Cunderdin district.

The township had another revival in the early 1900's as pumping station number three on Charles O'Connor's visionary Goldfields pipeline.

RAAF Station Cunderdin was a Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF) airfield located at Cunderdin, Western Australia. During World War II it was home to No. 9 Elementary Flying Training School (9EFTS) and No. 17 Repair and Salvage Unit. A number of P40 Kittyhawk fighters were also based there to provide for the air defence of Perth. The United States based two B24 Liberators at Cunderdin and used these for extended ocean patrols in the defence of southern Western Australia.

Number 25 (City of Perth) Squadron was based at Cunderdin from February 1945. The squadron operated Liberators tasked with attacking Japanese shipping and base facilities in the Dutch East Indies until it was disbanded in 1946. The remains of a Liberator which crashed on the 14 February 1945 are located at the end of one of the runways. The B24 Liberator,  A72-124, was setting out on its third search for survivors from the torpedoed motor vessel "Peter Silvester", when it crashed during takeoff into the south west. The aircraft reached only 30 feet when it lost lift. It hit the ground three times and skidded through a fence about 800 feet from the end of the airstrip, exploding and tragically killing five crew members.

Cunderdin Airfield was employed as a migrant camp between 1949 and 1952, with a capacity of 700 persons. It is currently used as a civilian airfield and headquarters for a gliding club.

Here is an update from Jarrad Marshall on his developement work for Cunderdin airport.

• Cunderdin (YCUN) airport, Western Australia. Former WW2 RAAF base, GA and gliding airport, 2x 1800m runways.
  • 60cm photoreal underlay, all seasons
  • 100% custom built 3D scenery - all buildings, hangers and structures all designed using photos of real-world airport
  • Static aircraft: VH-NEP Neptune (based at Cunderdin) and Dromader water bomber VH-NID
  • Custom runway including high-resolution textures and 3D lights
  • Full autogen
  • Salt pans and other approach VFR references

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I love the airport but I have to have that Holden Ute!!!! Where can I get it!!!!! I want to place that at every airport I fly to, its magnificent!..............I know I am easily amused but having been away from my holden for 8 years I yearn to have anything but american crap cars! lol

Yup, Jarrad Marshall is a true genius when it come to 3D objects in MSFS.

I have his YCUN, YBUN and YBLN for FS2004 and they are magnificent.  Well done Jarrad, looking forward to it.

Cheers,

• 2 months later...

I know I'm a bit late on the reply, but only been here a few days now.

Good to hear that you are still around Jarred and that work will continue, I'm still availble for help, you still got my number?

I've been running YCUN and YBLN from FS9 in FSX, some minor problems but worked ok until I got AU blue,, ground textures are off and looking forward the new news.

Thanks

Rob

Wow!  Looking fantastic.  You guys just keep on amazing me with your products.  And to think that it isn't even finished and yet looks better than other payware offerings! Wow!

I think this is what constantly amazes me with Orbx. Their FREEWARE stuff is of this calibre!

Is this still going to being released?  I don't see it on the freeware schedule.

Good point - I'll need to update the website. I got Jarrad's most recent build a few days ago and will need to give it to the testing team asap. Thanks for the reminder - sorry, been a bit of a shitty week with hardware for me, LOL!

Wonderful stuff.. Jarrad, you are the man, and always have been when it comes to realism.. remember Jandakot and the lawn sprinkler..?? the scenery still surprises me every time I fly there.. Great to see your name up there again old mate. Teecee.

remember Jandakot and the lawn sprinkler..??

Yup, from memory YBUN had the lawn sprinkler... YBLN was the best for me though... Jarrad has done and continues to do some of the most impressive 3D modelling work in the FS world.

Cheers Jarrad, buy you a beer one day down at the Balmoral :D

Archived