When you're not flying, do you go racing?

Paul Baumanis

I love FSX and FTX, but my other love is racing.

Particularly F1, btw Codemasters F1 2010 is being released this month.

My main source of racing on the pc is iracing at the moment (until the above hits the shops).

Any other iracers out there?

While I'm on the subject, although I have been into FSX for quite some time, I have spent my cash on upgrading the pc,

so I have been making do with a $30 Thrustmaster joystick for far too long.

I am now about to invest in an upgrade in the controller dept.

I am on the verge of buying CH products Eclipse yoke and Pro pedals, which I intend to use for racing as well.

Has anyone else got these, and can you tell me how they perform as car controls?

Hi Paul,

I share your same passion for racing; I see it as my other sim.  It's great when you want the extra adrenalin rush that flying sometimes lacks.

Like you, I am incredibly excited about F1 2010.  Until that's released, however, I race Need for Speed: SHIFT and DiRT 2.  I've tried iRacing, but the graphics are a bit out of date for me. 

On the controls, I'm not sure about using flight pedals for car controls.  One downfall is the lack of a clutch.  Another is the mechanical movement - flight pedals slide whereas car pedals hinge.  If you want realism, best bet is 2 sets of pedals unfortunately.  I personally don't use flight pedals and have a Saitek Evo Force with twist handle for rudder.  For the racing, I use the Logitech G25 which is a brilliant piece of machinery.

Thanks for that James.

I do realise that using the CH products will be a bit of a compromise.

Ideal situation is to a dedicated steering wheel and flight controls.

The annoying thing is that I bought a ps3 purely for the F1 game they had.

I have a force feedback steering wheel for it that I can't use with the pc.

Well I used to be quite active on the XBox gaming until I upgraded my PC and started getting add-ons for FSX, since then most of my time is spent doing something FSX related. However getting back to the point, I used to play Forza on the Xbox quite a bit and before that GT Legends on the PC which is much more simulator like than most and worth looking into even though it is a few years old. GT Legends has cars from the 50's, 60's, 70's and 80's if I recall correctly some real classics with classic handling to match - very good. I also have GTR by the same people but prefer Legends.  Been quite a while since I use either though as I find it too much of a chore to dig out my force-feedback wheel just for a few hours - I know I'd just want to get back to FSX.  ;)

My favourite racing game has to still be Grand Prix Legends (modded up of course ) I race about an hour a week still and have since it got released in ... what 1998 ? F1 2010 is going to be a killer game and I think I might be not so vigilant in the week after it's release :)

My favourite racing game has to still be Grand Prix Legends (modded up of course ) I race about an hour a week still and have since it got released in ... what 1998 ? F1 2010 is going to be a killer game and I think I might be not so vigilant in the week after it's release :)

Yes, mate I have noted your love of Grand Prix Legends from previous posts.

I too am looking forward to F1 2010 very much.

I love racing, although I must say that I don't go for too much realism there. I love Dirt, Grid, Dirt 2 and Shift and also the older Colin McRae Rally titles. I've set my eye on Split/Second and Blur but I'm not sure about them yet, although the return of the splitscreen on the PC is definitely a great thing. I'll probably give F1 a shot, since Codemasters are really, really good with racing games. You can't really go wrong there, although I would like them to return to the more classical rallying instead of the Fun and Games route that the went with their recent Dirt games.

Been racing online since the "Hawaii" days of Papyrus (long distance bills were stupid, but had more $ than brains back then.The people were dead serious about it back then and has never been the same since)

I don't think you'll be happy with flight rudders as race pedals..you can do it, but it's a completely different feel and as stated before the lack of clutch hurts as well.

Looking forward to F1 2010 to try,  also an inexpensive Ferrari Virtual Academy sim Sept 9,again just to see. GT5 looks fairly promising from the demo videos kicking around, just disappointing that the "standard" cars will not have a cockpit view of any kind.

I've been thinking of doing a bit of hardware upgrading to Clubsport pedals from G25 ones, but not sure yet since they are still pretty descent.

Dave

8)

Oh Yeah! Need For Speed! Carbon, Underground 2, Shift, Pro Street. I still like Porsche Unleashed. I drive Dirt 2, and Race 7. Used to love Test Drive Le Mans, but  it won't run on W-7. I also have motorcycle races.

Number 2 computer is the racing machine, number one flys...

LOL

Sue

Guest J van E

Racing is my other 'love' too, although it's been a while since I raced... My favorite of all time still is Grand Prix from Geoff Crammond (dit I get that right?) on the Atari STfm. but that's mainly because of the great memories. At that time it was VERY hard to get computergames anywhere, so if you bought a game you sure did play it a LOT! For months and months! Things have changed.... ;)

My last real enjoyment when it comes to racing was GRID: the last years I was more into arcade like racing. My last more serious game was GTR, I think. But now Codemaster's F1 2010 is coming and I've been looking forward to it for quite some time...! But I don't know if I can find the time for it... I am quite into FSX right now... and also bought a lot of stuff for it. So I don't know yet what to do...

What I do know is that the latest movie I saw of F1 2010 didn't make me really happy. It was the usual crap: the AI is too fast on the straights but you can overtake 5 cars in every corner... I hate that. (And no, I am not really into online racing...) When you start at the back of the grid you can be number 1 after one lap...

I won't buy it at the day it is released: maybe later.

What I do know is that the latest movie I saw of F1 2010 didn't make me really happy. It was the usual crap: the AI is too fast on the straights but you can overtake 5 cars in every corner... I hate that. (And no, I am not really into online racing...) When you start at the back of the grid you can be number 1 after one lap...

Yeah... that's the only thing that I don't really like about Dirt, Grid and Dirt 2. With two or three laps on not very long tracks the races are just too short. You have to plough through the opponents like a madman to get to the first place before the finishing line. With that few laps to go there simply isn't time for precision and smart and clean driving. It needs to be brute force or you probably won't make it.

I am a Forza Motorsport person. I race with my brother about once a week. We both have headsets so it gets quite amusing at times.... it is my other passion apart form the flight sim...

I think it is a speed thing.

Back for Buck rFactor is probably the best IMHO simply because of all the different add on mods from Karting to F1 GP Formula Nippon, Formula Ford, Off Road, Touring Car Legends  Bathurst Legends and MANY more, but I also go for a spin online in the  GT Legends, GP Legends, GTR2, GTR Evo,  I use a much modded G25 works a treat, 

My SimPit looks something like this

Posted Image

I paint the odd car as well

Posted Image

Posted Image

When I was mucking around with Mozz online I managed to get drivers for my PS2 force feedback wheel. I got drivers from logitech which worked on Vista, but they wern't spicifically for the PS2 but it was the same steering wheel and peddles.

When I was mucking around with Mozz online I managed to get drivers for my PS2 force feedback wheel. I got drivers from logitech which worked on Vista, but they wern't spicifically for the PS2 but it was the same steering wheel and peddles.

Thanks to you, my friend, I got drivers from Logitech and my PS3 wheel is now working on my PC!!

And a HUGE THANKS to Adrian for allowing me to amend my CH Products order.

I am very happy now.

FSX is the only computer/video "game" I own, but I am a proud member of Mazdaspeed Motorsports Development through occasional autocrossing (in my RX-8 and previously in a third-gen RX-7) and was an honorary pit crew member for a Grand-Am Rolex Series GT team (SpeedSource) at Daytona in July. Aaah, the scream of a three-rotor Wankel!

Ships are my profession, but I like all machines that go...

I decided to buy ferrari virtual academy. It was 20 Cdn so cheaper than going to a show all said and done.

1 car, 1 track. It's all about hotlaps..it sounds boring but it's one of the better physic models I've driven and tougher than I thought it would be ( I've only gone maybe 20 laps so far)

Graphics are nice (only fair weather) but it supports lots of wheel setups (my G25 works great).

I just decided to try it, and am happy I did while waiting for F1 2010 and GT5.

I just thought the company deserved a quick comment since I'm sure lots of people haven't heard of it.

Anyways goggle it and read more on their website. It was just a pleasant surprise.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

For the record. Yes CH Rudder Pedals can be used as car racing pedals. In the pedals kit you get two little rudder axis chocks which fit behind the pedals to stop them sliding forward and back (as a normal aircraft rudder control would). This allows the CH pedals to only move on their toe brake axes so they can be used for accelerator and brake for racing games.

And of course the CH Yokes can be used as a steering wheel. Its not the ideal simulation of a proper wheel, but it does do the job.

Yip, Sure do..

Interesting post, yes seriously addicted to racing sims.. goes back to GP2, GP3, GP4. GTR1,2,Legends Papyrus Indycar, GP Legends, Forza 3, Gran Turismo2,3,4,5P... and pre ordered GT5.

Expect in November I'll hibernate from the flight sim as GT5 is released on the PS3.

F1 2010 looks good and is fun (which is the main thing)

Bought myself a racing rig about 18 months ago from www.visionracer.com, they are a top team and I can't recommend them enough. Whilst the kit's not cheap you do get what you pay for and it's built to last.. mine has had a lot of use since I got it.. and it now supports my fanatec wheel, clubsport pedals, and lightning sst shifter. I've had brackets made up to attach my logitech surround speakers and Buttkickers to the frame..

And it's nice to know Adrian Sutil has one as well as some other celebrity who can be seen playing below!

if you want to pm me your xbox, or ps3 tags I'll add you to my friends list and relpy with mine. perhaps at some time we can get a race.

Cheers

....the slow one :)

Hi everyone

Great post.  I thought I was the only FSX (with FTX of course) and Motor Racing nut!  ;D  My favourites have been GT Legends (I always wanted a Lotus Cortina!) and EA Sports F1 Challenge 1999-2002 .

Problem is they won't run on W7 64 bit.  I understand you can arrange to dual boot into XP but I'm a little hesitant to add XP to my system as I have read it can cause problems if W7 is your primary OS.  Anyone tried this. I would really love to dust down the old wheel and pedals and go racing again.  And yes I will probably get F1 2010, but with 8 new releases for FTX promised before Xmas, funds are going to be stretched!  :D

Best wishes

Pete

Judging from what I have seen and experienced thus far with iRacing , it is just a great way of reinventing what is freely available and getting people to pay for it.

If you are interested in online racing in the slightest bit, this statement could not be farther from the truth.

No other product exists that combines the organization and season structure combined with the fidelity of the cars and tracks. 

iRacing has pretty much ruined every other car sim for me because they just don't feel as "right" and as physically attached to the roadway as it does in iRacing.

F1 2010 pretty much reinforced all the things I dislike about everything else out there.  Cheating AI (they admitted as much), showstopping bugs (ever try to pit?), and ridiculous physics (wet tires seem to not degrade grip at all, among a myriad of other things).  Now they could fix some bugs, but it will still be nothing more than a pretty hot-lap simulator.

F1 does nothing for me personally, i am racing Forza 3 on the xbox 360, currently running a bugatti veryon that love the big fast le mons tracks and is not too bad on the smaller twisties.  my R8 was a beast, but had to be careful coming out of corners and getting on the gas too early, it likes going straight with all that power!! mind you i did heavly mod it, so my fault really ;)  thing that annoys me about the xbox it the lack of wheels, i have got the xbox wheel, but it isn't great, works but leaves alot to be desired, wish there were more like the ps3 gets

Hi Maurice,

Thanks for your suggestion ie Virtual Box.  Interesting. I got it up and working but found it a bit confusing to work with so I took a deep breath and dual booted.  And yes it all now works!  Now I can fly (my first love ) and race using my old games.  Yippee!  Oh my what am I doing?  I'm 61 and semi-retired. Shouldn't I be wearing slippers and relaxing in front of the tele??!! lol  ;D

Pete

Archived