Who is this?

18 hours ago, ikbenik said:

Ask on the phone on the corner of the desk, the horn is off the hook!  😁

This might be a hint to the movie "Telefon", in which Pleasence played the villain.

The developer seems to be a fan of DP.

• Like 2

Hello,

the internet has the answer to most things these days and this is probably the answer to this mystery:

He (Donald Pleasance) served as aircraft wireless-operator with No. 166 Squadron in Bomber Command, with which he flew almost sixty raids against the Axis Powers over occupied Europe.

Originally formed in WW 1, 166 Squadron underwent a number of restructures up until 1943 when it reformed as a Heavy Bomber Squadron equipped with Lancasters.

This extract from the Ministry of Defence (UK) site:

No. 166 was re-formed in January 1943, at Kirmington, Lincolnshire - again as a bomber squadron. It remained based at Kirmington throughout the remainder of the war and, flying Wellingtons and Lancasters, participated in many major raids, and also played an active part in Gardening (minelaying). The squadron won at least two DSOs, two CGMs, 117 DFCs and 108 DFMs in the Second World War.

The WW2 RAF Kirmington is now Humberside Airport, just as the WW2 RAF  Finningley is now Doncaster Sheffield Airport,
though presently it is closed.

I am sure that most of you know that during WW2, anywhere in Great Britain that was flat was used as an aircraft carrier for anything that could fly away and attack the enemy.

Where I live is in the Vale of York, which is flat and there are four WW2 airfields within a six mile radius of my house.
One is a gliding club and industrial estate, one is a flying club and industrial estate, one is a huge pig farm, a dragway and some industry
and the fourth is the home of the Yorkshire Air Museum, a 2 mile runway that has track days and sometimes world record speed attempts and I believe the occasional aircraft departure and of course, an industrial estate. :)

Most of Lincolnshire, where Humberside Airport is, is also littered with WW2 airport sites.
The ever-helpful internet suggests that there are 46 of them.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 5/23/2024 at 10:00 AM, Nick Cooper said:

He (Donald Pleasance) served as aircraft wireless-operator with No. 166 Squadron in Bomber Command, with which he flew almost sixty raids against the Axis Powers over occupied Europe.

so I was on the right track then, without internet....

• Like 1