I´ve got the power

The CowanSim Airbus H125 Ecureuil (aka Eurocopter AS350) is one of the few helicopters that is capable to fly higher than 7000 meters, which makes him suitable for exploration and rescue missions in mountain regions. On 14 May 2005, an AS350 piloted by Eurocopter test pilot Didier Delsalle touched down on the top of Mount Everest, at 8,848 m (29,030 ft), a record that has been confirmed by the Fédération Aéronautique Internationale. On 29 April 2010, a stripped-down AS350 rescued three Spanish alpinists, one at a time, from the slopes of Annapurna I, Nepal at an altitude of 6,900 m (22,640 ft); this set a new record for the highest such rescue. The record was increased to 7,800 m (25,590 ft), during the rescue of Sudarshan Gautam between Camps III & IV in Everest's Yellow Band on the morning of 20 May 2013.
In preparation for this years Everest climbing season I ran up an AS350 B3 At Phaplu,...

y6hnyMd.jpeg

egCNej1.jpeg

... climbed over the hills at about 10.000 ft...

FN211gQ.jpeg

... towards Lukla, the "classical" base for Everest tours. I am already pleased with the default scenery here.

t4HPv7F.jpeg

FiVdqeQ.jpeg

vnPEqoT.jpeg

A day later, the sky cleared up and I went on via Namche Bazar and Pangboche towards the Base Camp (which is not depicted in default scenery), where the hard work starts, both for climbers and helicopters.

ORkXlDJ.jpeg

I tried a direct attempt across the Khumbu icefield towards Camp 1, but failed to gain enough altitude. 

rLCPGl7.jpeg

49ngUWL.jpeg

I had to circle around before I could reach 29.500 ft. Mt. Everest to the left, Lhotse ahead, the last 2 camps below.

atE4Gt7.jpeg

xX85fYI.jpeg

Y3Mor73.jpeg

Gliding down was a bit easier, but one should not underestimate the 20.000+ ft "hills" in the area, before one can relax at 9.500 ft in Lukla.

mglNjiy.jpeg

• Like 6