Dowload speed terribly low

ReinFlight

Just bought a scenery for P3D. The download speed is about 25 KB/s. With this speed it will take the whole evening or longer to download. The scenery itself is 550 MB.

The bottleneck is not with me (100 MB fibre) and also not at my provider. Downloading from simmarket etc is faster. So what's going on here?

On 11/27/2023 at 5:40 AM, ReinFlight said:

Ignore my last post. Download speed is fine now; very fast in fact

There was something weird with the network on Monday, the whole thing was slow for me too. Our log files did not show anything unusual, so I think there must've been some gremlin having fun for a few hours.

3 hours ago, TheMrAJT said:

image.png.7a4840faa0228438e1f23439109dd01a.pngHaving the same problem right now. Definitely not my internet as I'm getting 500+Mbps. Been the same the last few days. First two thirds are normal speeds then slows to a crawl.

I had this problem all the time when I was with a budget ISP (Spintel).  I swapped to a better ISP (Aussie Broadband) and since then I have had no problems.

With Spintel the download would start at 5MB/s and then slow to similar figures to what you are getting.

That would be something I would be investigating because it's outside Orbx's control.

15 hours ago, TheMrAJT said:

I'm in the UK with Virgin Media (certainly not budget). Doesn't happen with any other website/app when downloading (such as Steam or iniManager). Just seems to be Orbx.

It's possible that many ISPs and their providers buried deeper in the network seem to assume Orbx is a P2P or Torrent site given the large data volumes.  That would be why some faceless manager decides to throttle the downloads, or... alternatively, a server somewhere in the network has a corrupted file and the data is throttled back to process it and then it stays that speed until reset.  I'm not privy to the actual goings-on but it has been well and truly established over many years now that it's outside Orbx's control.

• Confused 1

I've just experienced this frustrating problem too.   In the UK.    I downloaded the C172 sound set (20Mb) and it took 15 minutes, with speeds of 10-30 kilobytes per second.   It's just unusable for anything larger.  This has literally forced me to buy the last few products from other retailers.   Minutes before buying the BAW 172 soundset, I was downloading from MSFS Marketplace at 170-280 MBPS !

I was having this same problem 3-4 months ago and it caused me to not buy from Orbx Central for a few months - today was the 'test day' to see how it would go.

This has got to be impacting your revenue stream.  

6 hours ago, David Rogers said:

I've just experienced this frustrating problem too.   In the UK.    I downloaded the C172 sound set (20Mb) and it took 15 minutes, with speeds of 10-30 kilobytes per second.   It's just unusable for anything larger.  This has literally forced me to buy the last few products from other retailers.   Minutes before buying the BAW 172 soundset, I was downloading from MSFS Marketplace at 170-280 MBPS !

I was having this same problem 3-4 months ago and it caused me to not buy from Orbx Central for a few months - today was the 'test day' to see how it would go.

This has got to be impacting your revenue stream.  

I reiterate, it's likely to be something associated with your provider. 

When I had the problem I took my computer to my sister's house for rigorous testing, and her provider delivered consistent full speed downloads. When I took my computer back home, same problem, Orbx downloads started full speed but dropped to a crawl after a short time. And yet the speed tests across Australia were all consistently full speed. 

However, I was given a speed test that actually measured international speeds through my provider: 

http://www.myspeedmeter.net. That test confirmed that data coming from international servers was being throttled by my ISP or further up their network. Since I moved to my current provider, international data comes through as fast as Australian data. 

I'm not sure what you think Orbx can do about ISPs that can't deliver their content at full speed? 

11 hours ago, John Dow said:

I reiterate, it's likely to be something associated with your provider. 

When I had the problem I took my computer to my sister's house for rigorous testing, and her provider delivered consistent full speed downloads. When I took my computer back home, same problem, Orbx downloads started full speed but dropped to a crawl after a short time. And yet the speed tests across Australia were all consistently full speed. 

However, I was given a speed test that actually measured international speeds through my provider: 

http://www.myspeedmeter.net. That test confirmed that data coming from international servers was being throttled by my ISP or further up their network. Since I moved to my current provider, international data comes through as fast as Australian data. 

I'm not sure what you think Orbx can do about ISPs that can't deliver their content at full speed? 

John, I do not think, it has anything to fo with my provider, because I get pretty good download speeds with all providers, except Orbx, which starts reasonable for a few seconds, but then slows down to around 20 kb/second. For me it has always been like this as far as I can think back, while with all other downlods it is usually the other way round  starting slowly for a few seconds  but then speeding up.

If it is not Orbx' fault, can it be the connection between Australia and Europe (assuming Orbx' servers are located in Australia)? Orbx ist the only Australian company I do online purchases from.

1 hour ago, wolfko said:

John, I do not think, it has anything to fo with my provider, because I get pretty good download speeds with all providers, except Orbx, which starts reasonable for a few seconds, but then slows down to around 20 kb/second. For me it has always been like this as far as I can think back, while with all other downlods it is usually the other way round  starting slowly for a few seconds  but then speeding up.

If it is not Orbx' fault, can it be the connection between Australia and Europe (assuming Orbx' servers are located in Australia)? Orbx ist the only Australian company I do online purchases from.

Orbx's servers were with a massive provider on the eastern seabord of the US the last time I heard, and I assume they still are.

I don't have any answers as to why other downloads are fine but Orbx is throttled, but my experience, and that of others, is that some providers don't seem to be able to get Orbx downloads at full speed, others, like my Aussie Broadband, seem to be able to deliver.

That's why I say you need to investigate your provider and their network arrangements.

• 2 weeks later...