Orbx Great Britain North, South and Central poi

sleightflight

Thirded. I'm especially interested in whether this clashes with Seafront Simulation's Vessels Southeast pack in places like Portsmouth and Dover. Will I now have two HMS Victory's for example?

Edited by Kjaye

With all the sceneries out there, many UK Simmers will have downloaded countless UK POI add-ons. Strange that Orbx hasn't provided a list so as one can disable inferior versions! Strange also that they don't seem to see the importance of doing so. Weird nobody in Orbx thought that there wouldn't be issues. Perhaps they don't care! 🤔

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I think you are being a bit unfair expecting Orbx to know whether their scenery is compatible with every other dev's scenery. I don't think any dev could do that. 

Obviously ther are going to be some conflicts but they will get resolved as and when they arise. BTW I have no connection with Orbx except as a customer on occasion.

Brian

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, pilot100 said:

I think you are being a bit unfair expecting Orbx to know whether their scenery is compatible with every other dev's scenery. I don't think any dev could do that. 

Obviously ther are going to be some conflicts but they will get resolved as and when they arise. BTW I have no connection with Orbx except as a customer on occasion.

Brian

It's not the  compatibility so much as to which POi's are in the new scenery so that we can remove the versions d/l from Flightsim.to to avoid duplication! I also suspect that the Orbx should be better than fan made offerings. Also the optimization should be better. This may not always be the case though as there is much excellent free stuff out there!

• Upvote 1

It certainly would be useful to customers to know what POIs are included, or certainly the major ones at least, such as castles, monuments, piers, etc!

Nevertheless, a great scenery addition from Orbx.

Edited by DaveR
  • Upvote 1

I'm not sure if anything 'official' is intended but I appreciate exactly what you guys are saying and am in the process of sorting out an 'unofficial' KMZ file to show the landmarks present in GB South on Google Earth.

Time consuming and I've a few other things on so please bear with me. I would hope to have it finished by Sunday at the latest.

Kjaye - there is a version of HMS Victory included, not sure if Seafront Simulations will exclude that or not.

All the best,

John

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, John Burgess said:

I'm not sure if anything 'official' is intended but I appreciate exactly what you guys are saying and am in the process of sorting out an 'unofficial' KMZ file to show the landmarks present in GB South on Google Earth.

Time consuming and I've a few other things on so please bear with me. I would hope to have it finished by Sunday at the latest.

Kjaye - there is a version of HMS Victory included, not sure if Seafront Simulations will exclude that or not.

All the best,

John

That would be helpful John. I have been waiting for this release and I don't really want to purchase it if it is does not have the POIs that are of interest to me. eg, in particular, Wells Cathedral, which should be an obvious one, I hope. ;)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, pilot100 said:

Brian

They don't need to be compatible with everything, but not clashing with Asobo world updates, and their own software would be a start. I pointed out several examples in Great Britain North when that released where they had duplicated POIs that Asobo covered.  A lighthouse at Out Skerries which was very well modelled by Gaya for Asobo still has a low poly Orbx generic lighthouse embedded in it. They also had clashes with their own Orbx Sumburgh airport add on.

I've not spent much time in GB South yet, just loaded it up and visited some local areas and it clashes badly with Seafront Simulations UK South East vessels pack. These are an Orbx partner whose products I've bought via the Orbx Central app.

That add on has a beautifully modelled version of HMS Victory, Nelson's ship at the Battle of Trafalger, complete with an interior that now has a lower quality Orbx model inside of it. There are ships enmeshed within other ships in various places too, Plymouth for example, if you have RealVFR's Plymouth scenery.

Freeware developers like Superspud and Mamut put out multiple versions of their add ons to avoid conflicting with other sceneries, or in the case of Mamut's add ons allow to disable certain features, so it shouldn't be beyond the capabilities of the number one flight sim scenery developer in the world to do likewise.

The irony is, that the better customer you are, and the more purchases you have made, the more you suffer.

Having a way to tackle exclusions and duplicates like this should be a priority if you're releasing multiple scenery packs, each with 600 or 700 POIs.

Edited by Kjaye
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

The following unofficial list of POI locations (names are WIP) has just been published. It also happens to be in a format which can be ingested by LittleNavMap (LNM) as Userpoints. Please disseminate.

Andy

https://flightsim.to/file/64109/locations-of-poi-from-Orbx-eu-great-britain-south-in-littlenavmap-lnm-userpoint-format

Screenshot_3176.thumb.png.c642017a6ee74b42ab98558137aad754.png

Edited by Airtrooper
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There seem to be two threads on the same issue so I'll post in both.

So if you think you've seen this before you might have done -  'Deja vu' I think they call it :lol:

Here is my 'unofficial' kmz file to show which POI's are modelled in GB South.

Hopefully I've got things right but apologies if the odd error is in there.

A couple of points if anyone want's to know!

The GB South scenery is designed to fit with, not conflict with, POI's already available in the Orbx London city pack or addon airports available from our partners via OC.

Hence the lack of POI's in the London area and the likes of the McLaren testing centre at Fairoaks.

Some things were missed and have been mentioned like our Victory conflicting with Seafronts much better model and, I just heard, Chichester Cathedral from Burning Blue.

In spots GB South places objects which you will see on the file kindly mentioned by airtrooper which are not included in my KMZ file.

These are 'defaultish' ships, cranes, gasometers, chimneys etc.

I've left one or two power stations (like Iron Bridge and Ratcliffe on Soar) in despite the fact that all we have done is placed some cooling towers and chimneys.

We are already aware that Ratcliffe conflicts with Pyreegues East Midlands which is not available via Orbx (speaking personally I'm very sad about that).

Anyway here's the file.

Please understand I don't have control of what's included. Personally I would have loved to have the Cardington Hangars. Worked there with the Met Office back in the seventies. They were even used as a film set for a rebel base in Star Wars!

All the best,

John

GB South Landmarks JB.kmz

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

6 hours ago, John Burgess said:

There seem to be two threads on the same issue so I'll post in both.

So if you think you've seen this before you might have done -  'Deja vu' I think they call it :lol:

Here is my 'unofficial' kmz file to show which POI's are modelled in GB South.

Hopefully I've got things right but apologies if the odd error is in there.

A couple of points if anyone want's to know!

The GB South scenery is designed to fit with, not conflict with, POI's already available in the Orbx London city pack or addon airports available from our partners via OC.

Hence the lack of POI's in the London area and the likes of the McLaren testing centre at Fairoaks.

Some things were missed and have been mentioned like our Victory conflicting with Seafronts much better model and, I just heard, Chichester Cathedral from Burning Blue.

In spots GB South places objects which you will see on the file kindly mentioned by airtrooper which are not included in my KMZ file.

These are 'defaultish' ships, cranes, gasometers, chimneys etc.

I've left one or two power stations (like Iron Bridge and Ratcliffe on Soar) in despite the fact that all we have done is placed some cooling towers and chimneys.

We are already aware that Ratcliffe conflicts with Pyreegues East Midlands which is not available via Orbx (speaking personally I'm very sad about that).

Anyway here's the file.

Please understand I don't have control of what's included. Personally I would have loved to have the Cardington Hangars. Worked there with the Met Office back in the seventies. They were even used as a film set for a rebel base in Star Wars!

All the best,

John

GB South Landmarks JB.kmz 49.59 kB · 4 downloads

Thanks so much for doing this John! Do you think Orbx will be able to correct any of these conflicts. If exclusions can't be made I'd personally rather Orbx removed any models that conflict with other payware partners, as the other models are nearly always better. Not a slight at Orbx, more that this is a 700 bundle pack, whereas where another developer is working on an area, it's a much narrrower focus so should be higher quality.

For example, Seafront Simulations should be much better than Orbx as that's what the scenery was focused on.

But I'd love to have the better HMS Victory back again! I realise that none of this is your decision btw.

Excited to have a look through the list now!

Not to get into any conflict and I'm only expressing an opinion here, but I think you answered your own question. "Not a slight at Orbx, more that this is a 700 bundle pack, whereas where another developer is working on an area, it's a much narrrower focus so should be higher quality".

I think that Orbx is addressing a market where a lot of people just want one package to cover a large number of POI. Obviously you and others are seeking higher quality and that fine, but it is still a big ask to expect Orbx to be compatible (as in not conflicting) other products (even partner product as their devs may not necessarily be aware of all other POI in partner products). 

That said I do agree that Orbx should as a matter of course provide kmz files with locations etc. A big thanks to John and Airtrooper on that count.  

As I said above not getting into any forum wars here just expessing another opinion on the subject.

8 hours ago, pilot100 said:

Not to get into any conflict and I'm only expressing an opinion here, but I think you answered your own question. "Not a slight at Orbx, more that this is a 700 bundle pack, whereas where another developer is working on an area, it's a much narrrower focus so should be higher quality".

I think that Orbx is addressing a market where a lot of people just want one package to cover a large number of POI. Obviously you and others are seeking higher quality and that fine, but it is still a big ask to expect Orbx to be compatible (as in not conflicting) other products (even partner product as their devs may not necessarily be aware of all other POI in partner products). 

That said I do agree that Orbx should as a matter of course provide kmz files with locations etc. A big thanks to John and Airtrooper on that count.  

As I said above not getting into any forum wars here just expessing another opinion on the subject.

You misunderstand me, I'm not expecting Orbx to be have better quality than a narrow scenery focusing on a specific area, I'm expecting them not to duplicate what their scenery partners are doing. John above said that that was the idea, and these are mistakes. Seafront Simulations is an Orbx partner. Their Vessels South East pack is a very high quality ships pack for the southeast of the UK. That's literally all it does, high quality ships. I don't want Orbx ships placed on top of them ruining them. I want the option to delete the Orbx ships.

It's not hard to do. All they need is to provide groups of objects in .BGL files like everybody else does, then we could edit them out.

It's the same with all the communication masts. Orbx model a handful, which then clash with the We Love VFR mod and you'll end up with two masts at each site. Orbx only does the major masts, whereas We Love VFR does them all. I can't uninstall We Love VFR as I would be missing the major masts around my area, as Orbx only does one, at Princetown on Dartmoor, where I now have two.

If they had all masts grouped together in a .bgl file though us of who use We Love VFR, and that number is literally thousands of people, then we could disable the Orbx masts, along with the Orbx ships, and most of the conflict issues go away.

there are some really nice castle, churches, and historic building models in this pack, but unfornutately it also throws another 300 to 400 models of stuff most PCVR users will already have from elsewhere so we either to have uninstall other add ons, not use the Orbx add on, or just put up with some areas having two lighthouses, two masts, two sets of radomes, chimney, ships etc dumped down on top of each other.

This isn't a hard technical fix, it just requires objects to be ordered into .bgl files that we can disable if we don't need them.

• Like 1

For months - every man and his dog were pestering Orbx to release South - and so they did - at a very small price.

Rather than winge about a multitude of bit and pieces that are duplicated - and suggestions taking forever to remove

the said inferences - worrying your life away:banghead: -------- simply delete the package. 👍 ------ I have:)

Life's too short ;)

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, John Heaton said:

For months - every man and his dog were pestering Orbx to release South - and so they did - at a very small price.

Rather than winge about a multitude of bit and pieces that are duplicated - and suggestions taking forever to remove

the said inferences - worrying your life away:banghead: -------- simply delete the package. 👍 ------ I have:)

Life's too short ;)

What did you delete, GB South? I'm still hopeful that Orbx can offer a solution to this. The add on has lots of great content, it's just it also contains hundreds of superfluous content that has already been provided elsewhere. Just the European region of We Love VFR has 240,000 downloads on flightsim.to alone, it seems incredible to me to pretend it doesn't exist and duplicate multiple versions of what it does. The same with ships. Are we just going to pretend that Gaist, Mamut's Marinas and Seafront Simulation, with over 500,000 downloads combined don't exist either?

You can certainly argue that these don't exist on Xbox so they need to provide them for XBox users, and I would agree, but just put those objects into .bgl files so that PCVR users who have these add ons can disable those Orbx objects and most of the problems go away.

The reason I get so worked up is becaues a) the scenery add ons have a ton of great content that I want so I don't want to uninstall it,  and b) it's not a hard technical fix, just structure the objects in .bgl files like other developers do.

The sim has been out for 3.5 years at this point, if you're going to push 700 POIs into a small region and not consider what impact that will have on the consumer who might actually have other add on software than just your own then you deserve to take criticism for it.

Next year, in MSFS 2024 Asobo are introducing masts, satellites, chimneys and towers themselves so every single user have duplicate conflicts everywhere in the UK unless Orbx do something to fix it then. I assume at that point they will anyway, so hopefully they can do it now.

Anyway, I'm not saying that they wont. It's the weekend, I understand they might reply in the week, so fingers crossed.

On 11/19/2023 at 2:27 AM, Kjaye said:

Thanks so much for doing this John! Do you think Orbx will be able to correct any of these conflicts. If exclusions can't be made I'd personally rather Orbx removed any models that conflict with other payware partners, as the other models are nearly always better. Not a slight at Orbx, more that this is a 700 bundle pack, whereas where another developer is working on an area, it's a much narrrower focus so should be higher quality.

For example, Seafront Simulations should be much better than Orbx as that's what the scenery was focused on.

But I'd love to have the better HMS Victory back again! I realise that none of this is your decision btw.

Excited to have a look through the list now!

Yes, please bring back the good model of the H.M.S Victory at Portsmouth.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, 2Realist4U said:

Does anyone know of all the Landmarks for GB Central?

Hi there.

There's a .kmz file which can be downloaded from the product page - the link's there though not obvious!

As the product page says for some reason it downloads as a .doc file and you have to remove the .doc from the filename.

I found that right clicking on the highlighted link and choosing 'save link as' managed to get it downloaded.

GBCentralKMZ.thumb.jpg.5e8c2aed0286eee889f9caa866aed9ad.jpg

Not sure if it's absolutely 100% accurate but it'll give you a very good idea of what's there.

All the best,

John