Prepar3D v6.0 Features and Enhancements

robpol471

On 7/9/2023 at 2:12 AM, Rob Ainscough said:

Recommend you post graphics setting from both V6 and V5 ... V6 has a slew of additional graphic settings not present in V5 that can and will have a performance impact and it will vary based on how good of a GPU you have.

l recommend checking TAA (enable) and then set MSAA to None ... I'm running 4K res so this works very well.

The Auto update working well also and fixed those issues you listed today.

Rob,

since it had been a long time since I had installed P3D, I searched and applied some suggested "optimization" hints like:

a) disable MSAA totaly in P3D6 Graphics menu;

b) same for FPS Limiter AND VSync (MAX FPS and VSync unticked)

c) setting in NCP, given my monitor is 2k @ 60 Hz, FPS LIMIT = 30 and VSync to Adaptive Half-Refresh rate...

To these make sense because they supposedly load the GPU (mine is an RTX 3060 Ti) instead of the CPU (Ryzen 5600x with SMT disabled in my rig), or is v6 cleaver enough to allow us to directly set VSync and FPS limits "in-sim" as these will be processed by the GPU?

On 7/4/2023 at 1:53 PM, robpol471 said:

My, for now, negative note are the textures of P3D V6 and I hope that Orbx fixes the compatibility of FTX Global Base otherwise we reverted to the awful vanilla textures of previous versions.

Of course I only did quick apt shifts and will try other scenarios and other planes to see compatibility with previous versions.

Hmmm, I've been following this thread in the hopes that my only Orbx payware roduct -FTX Global Base- can be ported to P3dv6 using methods like the one described by Larry, but reading what you wrote above it looks like FTX Global Base isn't compatible 😕 or am I misinterpreting it?

21 minutes ago, gaab said:

No such issue on my side... as long as you select the "Library mode" install.

Gérard

Ah! Great then,

Please help me understand:

1) I use the Registry Trick with a fake P3dv4 install

2) I just have P3dv6 installed, so I'll have to install the Orbx Central assuming I have P3dv4...

Will it work this way ?

Thx!

I'll post some video when I get a chance ... but real world work has me swamped (as usual).  The latest P3D V6 build (6.0.33.30992) is very significant as it fixes a major issue with lighting the scene at all times of day/night.

You'll want to use Tone Mapping also.

I operate VRR and Unlimited with Vsync OFF ... very smooth.  Unfortunately OBS and my video capture card can't record VRR, so I have to operate at locked 30 or locked 60Hz which isn't my smoothest experience.  I don't use external limiters.

Larry's method worked for me so long as one uses Library approach.

Cheers, Rob.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, jcomm said:

Hmmm, I've been following this thread in the hopes that my only Orbx payware roduct -FTX Global Base- can be ported to P3dv6 using methods like the one described by Larry, but reading what you wrote above it looks like FTX Global Base isn't compatible 😕 or am I misinterpreting it?

On 7/17/2023 I published a post to install the Orbx si P3D v6 products with this procedure:

" Orbx products can be installed by entering C:\ProgramData\Lochkedd Martin\Prepar3D v6\add-ons

[DiscoveryPath.0]
Path=C:\Orbx LIBRARY\p3dv5
Title=Orbx My Library
Active=TRUE

Then the add-ons in C:\ProgramData\Lochkedd Martin\Prepar3D v6\ will become:

[Package.0]
Path=C:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v6\Development Tools\Visual FX Tool
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

[Package.1]
Path=C:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v6\Development Tools\Traffic Toolbox
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

[DiscoveryPath.0]
Path=C:\Orbx LIBRARY\p3dv5
Title=Orbx My Library
Active=TRUE

On Path=C:\ "LIBRARY Orbx" should be replaced with the name of your Orbx library for P3d v5.

If your Orbx library is not located in C:\ it must be replaced with the letter where the Orbx library is installed.

When you start Prepar3D v6 you will be asked to activate every single product in the Orbx library, as is done on P3D v5.

Obviously it is possible to install only the Orbx products present in the library and not those installed directly in the Main program of P3D v5."

After installing FTX Global Base, the trees were not present in the scenario but with this procedure they return to the same as on P3D 5.x:

in ...\Orbx Library\p3dv5\Orbx Libraries\Orbx\Scripts\custom.gb_base

Rename AutogenDescriptions.spb to AutogenDescriptions original.spb

Make a copy of AutogenDescriptions_Legacy.spb and rename it to AutogenDescriptions.spb

Two warnings:

if this Orbx library is also used for P3D 5.x, after this change, the trees will be displayed to a lesser extent on P3D 5.x.

I

f you install P3D v6 without the presence of other P3D 5.x. you need a copy/paste from where P3D 5.x is installed, of the Prepar3D v5 folder in ...\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\ which must be copied where P3D v6 is installed again in ...\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\ if this is missing folder together with that of P3D v6, even if installed with the procedure described at the beginning, Orbx ObjectFlow does not work.

• Like 1

On 9/10/2023 at 10:35 PM, Bullfox said:

I'm wondering if its worth $350.00 for the professional version

Strongly depends on the use you're planning to give to it, I guess.

For a simmer like me who 99% of the time plays airliner flying in short hops under bad weather an if possible with malfunctions too, the Personal License is just the right thing...

• Like 1

21 hours ago, jcomm said:

At another Forum (AVSIM P3D) someone mentioned Orbx Central is now v6-compatible ?

Can you confirm this ?

That would "make my week" 🙂

My install of Orbx central is not seeing my p3dv6, I read that on avsim and went and had a look, they've said they're working on it but I've not read that they've released it yet...

• Like 1

I wonder if when P3D6 finally comes up in Orbx Central will getting Orbx scenery into v6 require a new download or will Central just create a link to v6 for the scenery?  If the former  will have to all go onto a new drive.  If the latter then v5 and v6 can all be on my C drive.

Hi I see a lot of comments about altering the path to the Orbx Library is working for those in P3Dv5.   Would this method work for those of us who are still using P3Dv4.5?

I ask as I am looking to move to V6 but don't fancy loosing my Orbx products. 

Cheers Rob

Edited by Helix1250
Poor Spelling :)

• 1 month later...

I encountered a problem with the Orbx Trees.  I copied it from the Orbx Library to the P3d6 add on folder.  It worked at first, but now P3D6 does not display any trees.  This method works for about a dozen Orbx airports I have moved over without a problem.  I do have trees that are part of the airport scenery for these airports.

10 hours ago, Bullfox said:

I encountered a problem with the Orbx Trees.  I copied it from the Orbx Library to the P3d6 add on folder.  It worked at first, but now P3D6 does not display any trees.  This method works for about a dozen Orbx airports I have moved over without a problem.  I do have trees that are part of the airport scenery for these airports.

If you have installed Orbx Libraries in P3D v6 you need to make this change to view the trees on P3D v6:

...\Orbx Library (or whatever you called it)\p3dv5\Orbx Libraries\Orbx\Scripts\custom.gb_base

Make a copy of AutogenDescriptions_Legacy.spb and rename it to AutogenDescriptions.spb

If you also use this Orbx library for other P3D v5.x, after this change you will see fewer trees displayed on P3D v5.x while on P3D v6 they will be displayed regularly.

Still cannot get Global Trees to display.  P3D6 recognizes it and creates the scenery index but it wont display.  Also, the default P3D6 trees won't display.  The only trees that display are the ones associated with Orbx airports.  I have global base as an add on and it seems to be fine.  Its big improvement.  I have not duplicated the Orbx library for P3D6 because its about 400 gb and I have less than about 200 gb available on my 2tb C drive.  At some point I am going to have to move files for v6 over to my G drive where P3D6 is.

Anyway except for no trees all the 30 addons I have created so far for v6 look an work great.  6 is a big improvement over 5.

On 11/5/2023 at 10:57 AM, robpol471 said:

If you have installed Orbx Libraries in P3D v6 you need to make this change to view the trees on P3D v6:

...\Orbx Library (or whatever you called it)\p3dv5\Orbx Libraries\Orbx\Scripts\custom.gb_base

If you also use this Orbx library for other P3D v5.x, after this change you will see fewer trees displayed on P3D v5.x while on P3D v6 they will be displayed regularly.

I used this method and have the trees showing in P3Dv6, the only P3D version I have installed is v6, so far I have all my Orbx sceneries working flawless(installed them using the registry trick posted elsewhere), with the exception of some trees at some(not all) airports.Hence my sugestion to Orbx  start the updates with the trees. I woudn't mind paying a price for that.

BTW, I have all my 3rd party add-ons installed and working in P3Dv6 except the ifly jets and QW787

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

I finally got everything working using the add on method. It took a while because I had to correct some mistakes and I had to move the Orbx library to the G drive.  The total installation  on the C and G drive is over two terabytes.  

7 hours ago, Bullfox said:

I finally got everything working using the add on method. It took a while because I had to correct some mistakes and I had to move the Orbx library to the G drive.  The total installation  on the C and G drive is over two terabytes.  

That's a lot of add-ons you have...

• 2 weeks later...

The main problem I'm having now with P3D6 and Orbx True Earth, at least with Oregon True Earth is elevation errors in several places.  Its not everywhere, but so far in three or four places with floating houses and trees.

Another problem is missing terminal buildings in the True Earth areas.  This problem is at larger airports that are not Orbx pay ware airports such  as Portland, Oregon and Fresno, California.  They display as jetways not connected to any building.

19 hours ago, Bullfox said:

Another problem is missing terminal buildings in the True Earth areas.  This problem is at larger airports that are not Orbx pay ware airports such  as Portland, Oregon and Fresno, California.  They display as jetways not connected to any building.

this is the main reason my v6 has nothing in it yet, some stuff just doesn't work properly and nothing seems to be getting done on an official level...

• Like 2

It all looks better in P3D6 than in P3D5, both the Orbx areas and the non Orbx areas and it seems to run a little bit better.  So far I don't have any problems with Orbx pay ware or freeware airports.  So far there are just a few problems with elevations and terminal buildings in True Earth areas  But, I continue to explore.  Chances are I will eventually delete P3D5, depending on what Orbx does going forward.

• Like 2

yeah if I get some spare time I'll look more into adding stuff but a little busy at the moment with another project....be nice to have some proper input from Orbx but I fully understand that this SIM is probably not a priority...

23 hours ago, porsche said:

As to nothing really available in V6.....There are many good quality Canadian airports available for V6 from coast to coast and up into the high arctic from SimAddOns.

I am looking forward to when Orbx releases theirs.

yeah I have seen stuff elsewhere, currently not really buying any new stuff for p3d at the minute, I have lots of Orbx which still works well in v5...

wain71,

Yep, I hear you. I have nice V5 set up as well. That said i like what I see in V6 and living in Canada, having all these Cdn airports is great. Couple that with Active Sky for V6 and it is a great experience.

Just have the Majestic Dash 8 add-on in V6 at the moment and hoping at some point to see other aircraft become available. Apparently the Learjet 25/28 from extreme prototypes is not that far away.

• Like 1

On 12/11/2023 at 4:55 PM, porsche said:

wain71,

Yep, I hear you. I have nice V5 set up as well. That said i like what I see in V6 and living in Canada, having all these Cdn airports is great. Couple that with Active Sky for V6 and it is a great experience.

Just have the Majestic Dash 8 add-on in V6 at the moment and hoping at some point to see other aircraft become available. Apparently the Learjet 25/28 from extreme prototypes is not that far away.

I forgot about the Dash, I may have to install it...

On 12/11/2023 at 8:18 PM, Bullfox said:

I mostly have A2A and Carenado aircraft and so far have had no problem just reinstalling them in P3D6.

yeah A2A's are fine...

I can understand if Orbx can't justify the work effort to bring their products to "use" V6 features rather than just be "compatible" ... ROI.   But if the ROI is really that bad, why not make P3D airport source files available to end users and we can do the adjustment work for them and make the products work with V6?

It is frustrating that Orbx would rather just hold onto the source files ... what's the purpose behind that?

With that said 6.x still has some work to do and I fear some key visual issues are not going to be address in V6.x series.  The biggest being:

Bloom 

Odd color visibility layer that doesn't blend (this visually looks horrible)  

Shame, because P3D V6.x has some very nice other new features, but is held back by just two major visual issues.

Cheers, Rob.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

I keep bloom turned off most of the time.  Generally speaking V6 is a worthwhile improvement over v5.  I have moved over a terabyte of mostly Orbx scenery over to v6 with not too much difficulty.  No problem moving aircraft over.  The worse problem I have had moving Orbx over to v6  has been in True Earth areas with some elevation issues and some missing terminal buildings.  Seems like those would be simple fixes if someone is actually working on them.

• Like 2