Entebbe Airport, Uganda, Hostage Rescue 1976 - Planned, Professional & Perfect (nearly)

flsm (Frank)

In June 1976, following an aircraft hijacking & holding of hostages at Entebbe Airport, Uganda, Israel undertook a daring military airbourne raid using C-130 Hercules aircraft to rescue the hostages. Come see how they did it & how successful it was. Hope you enjoy. Cheers.

• Like 3

A few stats on this.

248 passengers were hijacked on an Air France Airbus A300. 148 non Jewish hostages were released by Idi Amin and the hijackers who were working together. That left 100 hostages plus 6 Air France crew. 102 survived, three were killed. 5 commandos were injured and their Commander also died, who was also the elder brother of the man who would later become Prime Minister of Israel . All the hijackers were killed, plus 45 Ugandan army personnel.

Those are the hard facts. It's sad that some of the hostages died obviously, but as rescues go from a military standpoint, on the whole it can be counted as a success.

• Like 1

The 245 Kenyans were reprisals by Idi Amin for the rescue attempt, the blame lays with him and nobody else. 3000 Kenyans had to flee Uganda because of his reprisals. Maybe if Idi Amin hadn't sided with the terrorists to start with, there would have been a much more positive result

Edited by Goulash

I didn't say anyone was to blame, (and clearly the terrorists were is this case) read my post, what I did say is it was not such a good result for some, so the premise that it was a 'good raid' depends on how it affected those involved from their standpoint. 

And on topic, not sure this is a good subject for a flight sim forum, so I will not be commenting further.

I appologize for mixing this act of terror in Entebbe up with the hijacking of the Lufthansa 737 "Landshut" and the showdown in Mogadishu. I blame it on my age :unsure:

So @Nick Cooper or one of the other admins, could you please remove my first post in this thread? Thank you!