Stupidness since yesterday's update MSFS.

Iain Emms

Well then chaps fired the sim up before I got the graphic card message pop up twice and shut down I've only had this once before.

Not only that a new one for me a message popped up twice saying I'm not connected to the Internet despite being connected and certain things will not work so I've given up simming for today and will see what tomorrow brings after nearly an hour of start stops its enough. 

cheers 

Iain 

• Sad 1

44 minutes ago, Iain Emms said:

Well then chaps fired the sim up before I got the graphic card message pop up twice and shut down I've only had this once before.

Not only that a new one for me a message popped up twice saying I'm not connected to the Internet despite being connected and certain things will not work so I've given up simming for today and will see what tomorrow brings after nearly an hour of start stops its enough. 

cheers 

Iain 

Hi Iain

Yes, it is a bit of a dog's breakfast at the moment.

I just checked on my system and I have the wonderful red message saying you are not connected.

This is a link to a useful MS site regarding the whole gaming environment

Xbox Status | Xbox Support

Anymore, most days I check it first before I start up MS2020.  It doesn't solve the frustration of the system being down, but at least you didn't wait

to go through the entire MS2020 startup routine just to be told you're not connected.

With regard to the graphic card message this may shed some light on it. Apologies as it is really deep down in the weeds of GPU behaviour.

From Nvidia docs.....

P-States are GPU active/executing performance capability and power consumption states.

P-States ranges from P0 to P15, with P0 being the highest performance/power state, and P15 being the lowest performance/power state. Each P-State, if available, maps to a performance level. Not all P-States are available on a given system. The definitions of each P-State are currently as follows:

• P0/P1 - Maximum 3D performance
  • P2/P3 - Balanced 3D performance-power
  • P8 - Basic HD video playback
  • P10 - DVD playback
  • P12 - Minimum idle power consumption

The latest Nvidia driver 525.86 has a release note item concerning a bug fix " GPU may get stuck in P0 state after exiting certain games "

I'm very far from having any in-depth understanding of such things, but my limited understanding is that what may be happening

is when you exit from MS2020 the GPU gets stuck in the Maximum 3D performance state.  When you start up again, the "P or Power State"

is supposed to be on Auto and will select an appropriate level, even if you have specified maximum performance e.g. it is dependent on what you are doing on your system.

I have this driver on my system, and it really is working well for me.  Performance in DX12 is really nice and smooth and DX11 is just super.

Just a speculative thought so take this with the proverbial grain of salt that this may be the cause of the problem and 

the fix for it.  

Hope this may be of some help.

Cheers

Pete 

Edited by renault
  • Like 4

Hi Iain,

The "not connected to the internet message" popped up for me yesterday some 70% through the process - I believe it's just due to overloaded servers. I tried again late evening hoping European demand had slowed and the update restarted where it left off and finished within the hour. Anyway, good luck with yours. :smile:

Charles

Edited by chasordod
  • Like 2

@Iain Emms

Hi Iain

Since I can't sim , along with the rest of the world I thought it might be more helpful to put together a few screenshots

to go with the "techie jargon". 

This is just a snapshot of my desktop. For whatever reason, my P State is always at a P8 , even though GPU usage is 0% 

I did notice that this seems to be unique to Win 11 as it was a lower setting with Win 10.  

The P state doesn't refer to a power draw per cie  , but is more related to the  GPU & memory  clocks (frequencies that your GPU runs at), fan speeds etc

to give a particular performance capability. 

0-Desktop.jpg

In the Nvidia Control Panel, I specify Maximum Performance capability  for the GPU  when MS2020 starts.

I do this as I found that I would get significant stutters if the setting was left at Normal or adaptive as the card  was "ramping" its performance

settings up and down as usage varied in MS2020.
0-5-NVCP.jpg

As soon as MS2020 starts up, the Power state switches to P0 which is the Prefer Maximum 3D performance state ...

Although it has switched, the GPU usage is still 0%
1-MS2020-Startup-Screenshot-646.jpg

And lastly, this screenshot shows MS2020 running and rendering in 3D. GPU usage is 33% 
2-Screenshot-648.jpg

When you exit and return to the desktop for a few seconds the P state stays at P0 and then switches to P5 and finally to P8 which for me is its idle performance

state.  

Hope this helps a bit.

Now off to read a book for the rest of the day :)

Cheers

Pete

• Like 1

Well then chaps I've been doing a small flight and closing MSFS then doing another small flight and closing MSFS most of the afternoon and not had a problem so it maybe the new driver has helped I might be speaking too soon we shall see tomorrow if the stupidness returns. 

cheers 

Iain 

2 hours ago, Iain Emms said:

Paul its the 526.86 driver.

cheers

Iain

Thanks I have no issues on 526.47 but may as well update to 526.86 to match the MSFS download. Thanks glad all ok for you now.

Edited by paulk

Last week, I thought it was on Nov 10, after starting MSFS2020, it reported that it had an update, so I clicked to start the download. I thought it was the 40th anniversary update. Later I learned it wasn't. All went OK. Yesterday I fired-up MSFS2020. I saw that the Market Place box was grayed out. A text said that Market Place was temporarily unavailable. I never had this error b4. I googled. Then I did the steps advised like signing out from MS Store. Reboot and login again. This did not solve the problem for my system. Since some time I run first the XBox app on the desktop PC and start MSFS2020 from there to avoid problems. Then I discovered in the XBox app that there was the 40th Anniversary update. I installed it. Then MSFS2020 ran OK. I tried to take-off with the DC-3 however the airplaine stalled over left all the time. I read an advise on internet how to take-off properly. Then with this new knowledge I managed to take-off but had problems to climb and ultimately crashed. So, I went to fly with an airplane I master.

Edited by paulskpt2